The Student Room Group

AS Further maths

Hi everyone! I was just wondering how many hours a day you need to revise for further maths to get an A....I'm currently at a C grade. For those who've taken this subject, your answers are very much needed!! Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Moved to maths :smile:
Reply 2
Well, AS Further Maths is very similar to AS Maths. You need to put the exact same effort in AS Further Maths as you do in AS Maths. So I suggest you make a revision timetable for yourself, to know exactly when you should revise for a specific subject. For any A-Level subject, I would advise the person to revise at least 4 hours a day...I did like 5 hours a day, and I achieved AABa in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and AS Further Maths. Not the best grades, so I'm retaking Biology and Maths.

Why neg me???
(edited 10 years ago)
It depends on what time of year it is, how hard you are finding it, how quickly you learn things etc.
Coming up to exams I would recommend putting in about 10 hours a week for up to 2 months - however it is better to revise based upon doing certain things eg completing all the past papers rather than spending a certain amount of time on each subject - you could just be staring at a revision guide...
During the year, just read over your notes at the end of each week and do extra exercises on any bits you are stuck on. Remember that Further Maths is much harder than Maths so don't expect to grasp every concept just by doing the bare minimum work. My college recommended 5 hours of independent study on top of the 5 hours of lessons - but again it depends on how quickly you learn, how far behind you already are and how good the teaching is.
Reply 4
Original post by AnharM
Well, AS Further Maths is very similar to AS Maths. You need to put the exact same effort in AS Further Maths as you do in AS Maths. So I suggest you make a revision timetable for yourself, to know exactly when you should revise for a specific subject. For any A-Level subject, I would advise the person to revise at least 4 hours a day...I did like 5 hours a day, and I achieved AABa in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and AS Further Maths. Not the best grades, so I'm retaking Biology and Maths.

I think those are really good grades, can i ask why you need to retake maths when you've already got an A?
Also, do you mean 4 hours a day for revising all your subjects or 4 hours for each subject everyday- because that seems like a lot of hours of revision :colondollar:
Reply 5
Original post by AnharM

Why neg me???

Sorry, but what?? I didn't neg you!! :s-smilie: I actually gave you a positive rating-your post was actually one of the really helpful ones!
Reply 6
Original post by kumbatkanyasay
I think those are really good grades, can i ask why you need to retake maths when you've already got an A?
Also, do you mean 4 hours a day for revising all your subjects or 4 hours for each subject everyday- because that seems like a lot of hours of revision :colondollar:

Not you, someone else negged me, not sure who.

Anyways, 4-5 hours of revision per weekday altogether. And on the weekends, I would expect to do atleast 6 hours altogether. I would start my revision around 8am. I would take breaks during lunch time and when football is on. I would advise you to also go out and have a bit of fun, don't just revise all day. So an hour in the gym would be good for you, or go to a friend's house.

I'm retaking Maths because the universities I'm applying to want A*AA for the course I want to do.

If you're wondering what grades I got for each Mathematics module:

C1: 86 C2: 91 C3: 87 C4: 78
S1: 83 S2: 96
M1: 90 D1: 88 FP1: 75
:
Reply 7
Original post by AnharM
Not you, someone else negged me, not sure who.

Anyways, 4-5 hours of revision per weekday altogether. And on the weekends, I would expect to do atleast 6 hours altogether. I would start my revision around 8am. I would take breaks during lunch time and when football is on. I would advise you to also go out and have a bit of fun, don't just revise all day. So an hour in the gym would be good for you, or go to a friend's house.

I'm retaking Maths because the universities I'm applying to want A*AA for the course I want to do.

If you're wondering what grades I got for each Mathematics module:

C1: 86 C2: 91 C3: 87 C4: 78
S1: 83 S2: 96
M1: 90 D1: 88 FP1: 75
:

Oh, wow. Are yo doing a2 now? Also, can I pm you if I'm stuck with a maths question or are you going to be too busy?:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by kumbatkanyasay
Oh, wow. Are yo doing a2 now? Also, can I pm you if I'm stuck with a maths question or are you going to be too busy?:smile:

Sure, PM me when you're having any trouble, although I would advise you to ask your teachers for help, because they are much more qualified than me. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest