The Student Room Group

Applying to Bristol with GCSE's lower than required

Hello, I'm pretty close to finishing my ucas application and whilst double checking university requirements have noticed that the university of Bristol have recently upped their Gcse requirements from C's to B's in Eng language & maths. I emailed their undergraduate admissions team a few days ago, without a response.

Although I've surpassed the maths gcse requirement , I'm worried about English language in which I have a C. My question is , is there any point in applying (for chemistry) despite getting AAB at AS & being predicted AAA, providing my p.s is up to par , or am I wasting a choice ? Any experiences with other unis would be of great help as well.

Thanks
Reply 1
Your best answer will be from the uni itself. If they don't respond soon then ring them up
Ring up the admissions office and ask! It's what they're there for!
I agree, getting a specific answer from the university is best.

However, I would be prepared for the answer to be that you would be instantly rejected. When you have an exam result (such as a GCSE) you are generally expected to meet/exceed the requirements for this exam.

If they do say no, would you be able to organise retaking GCSE English this summer? You could then include this on your application, and would get an offer dependant on this GCSE and your A2 results (if the university chose to accept you).
IMPORTANT!

Whilst the course the OP is applying for (Chemistry I think) might have changed its GCSE requirements, THIS IS NOT FOR ALL COURSES AT BRISTOL.

If in any doubt about what GCSE grades are required, check the course entry in the online prospectus [www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2014] or email the relevant Dept and check - they do not all require a B grade!

Quick Reply

Latest