The Student Room Group

Music: Oxford or Cambridge (still difficulty discerning between)

Yes, I've read both Oxford and Cambridge's websites about the Music courses offered, but still feel uncertain. From the information I've gathered, Oxford seems more keen on classical performance where Cambridge is more keen on theory/composition, but I'm sure that's a gross generalization. My areas of interest are: composing, film music, early music (especially renaissance), romantic music (Wagner, Schubert, etc.), world music, and musicology. It is my foremost ambition to be a composer though, but I have a sort of disdain for a lot of 20th century classical music which is why I dropped out of my former degree in music at Goldsmiths which focused solely on that style.

My main apprehension is my unorthodox background which is not as classical as I gather most Oxbridge applicants have. For most of my life I've been a guitarist in bands, mostly rock/pop influenced but always alternative and experimental (i.e. not top 40 music), and while this is my background mostly I have always loved and had an interest in western art music and not just the type of music I've been playing. I do have classical grounding from school, and I can do theory (but am by no means excellent at it). I compose, and when I do it's classical...... more like string quartets and minimal leaning stuff, but my theory skill is limited and of course it's something I seek to expand on as it limits my composing. I fear entrance tests and such because my theory isn't expert and I really can't do classical performance (which I hear is emphasized less at Cambridge), but it seems some colleges require it. In short I'm better when it comes to composing and academic related areas, as in I know a lot about classical music in terms of history and all, but actual scores and musicianship it can be weak. But my interests are intense and I increasingly listen to the kinds of music specified as opposed to popular music, but I would still want to pursue less formal music opportunities outside of study (playing in bands, getting to play electric guitar, etc.).

Also, in terms of qualifications it's hard to discern which course may be more friendly to mine. I'm a mature student (23) from the U.S., so my qualifications are sort of unusual. After graduating high school in the U.S. I took a year out to play in bands, then took a couple of modules at a local college in Politics and German (received three course credits) before deciding to study for a foundation degree in music (full time one year) at the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts. Graduated in 2011, then went on to Goldsmiths but didn't last long as I really couldn't stand the course. So I've been back home now, mostly working and doing music on my own. I've made a lot of threads about my dilemma already, so I aplogise for that. I've even thought of pursuing History instead as I love it equally and am somewhat better at it in terms of academics, but I know I want to pursue a career in music and I know it's where my talent lies, even if my talent is n't strictly classical in nature.

Many thanks for any opinions or advice, and I hope this will by my last thread on the issue.
Reply 1
Have you looked at going to any of the ABRSM universities, they offer more pathways in music that might be better for your needs. Although Oxford and Cambridge are great universities, don't just choose them for the name you'll probably find a music degree more suited to you at an ABRSM university, have a look! :smile:
In addition to all I've already told you: composition at Oxford is pretty much freaky-sounding 20th century music, if you wanna get a half-decent grade :sadnod:
Reply 3
When you say freaky sounding, do you mean mostly atonal/John Cage-y kind of stuff? And thanks for all your help so far, I'm now starting to think Cambridge for Music or History at Oxford, but I just like to make absolute sure I know everything I can. Sorry for being tedious.
Reply 4
Oh and to first responder: When you say ABRSM university, what exactly do you mean? Conservatories? I have been considering Trinity Laban and Royal College of Music... the former has been the most friendly thus far and seems to be open to my interests where as RCM have been a tad stuffy.

Also I'm not going after Oxbridge for the prestige so much, more so the location and the environment. I prefer a more intensive place with a lot of history and etc.
Original post by Maxomatosis
When you say freaky sounding, do you mean mostly atonal/John Cage-y kind of stuff? And thanks for all your help so far, I'm now starting to think Cambridge for Music or History at Oxford, but I just like to make absolute sure I know everything I can. Sorry for being tedious.

:yes: Not always quite as freaky as that, but certainly the styles you are "allowed" to compose in are somewhat limited :yes:
Original post by Maxomatosis
Oh and to first responder: When you say ABRSM university, what exactly do you mean? Conservatories? I have been considering Trinity Laban and Royal College of Music... the former has been the most friendly thus far and seems to be open to my interests where as RCM have been a tad stuffy.

Also I'm not going after Oxbridge for the prestige so much, more so the location and the environment. I prefer a more intensive place with a lot of history and etc.

Yes - ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music) is a group of Conservatoire's (Royal College, Royal Academy, Royal Northern, and RCS). Trinity is a lot friendlier - RCM tends to be a bit traditionalist - stuck in its ways... I'm at Birmingham Conservatoire so if you want any advice about the course just shout :smile: We've got loads of people here with non standard entry - 50 something mature student, a guy who was going to do engineering but decided that he preferred music etc etc...
Reply 7
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Yes - ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music) is a group of Conservatoire's (Royal College, Royal Academy, Royal Northern, and RCS). Trinity is a lot friendlier - RCM tends to be a bit traditionalist - stuck in its ways... I'm at Birmingham Conservatoire so if you want any advice about the course just shout :smile: We've got loads of people here with non standard entry - 50 something mature student, a guy who was going to do engineering but decided that he preferred music etc etc...

Hi! I've just found out I've got a place at Birmingham Conservatoire and would love to know more about it...I already go up there for lessons, but can't seem to find any information about how many hours of practice (roughly!) you're expected to do per day/week, and how many hours of other stuff (ensembles, electives etc) you do per week...can't wait to start next year!! :smile:
Original post by KatieKate96
Hi! I've just found out I've got a place at Birmingham Conservatoire and would love to know more about it...I already go up there for lessons, but can't seem to find any information about how many hours of practice (roughly!) you're expected to do per day/week, and how many hours of other stuff (ensembles, electives etc) you do per week...can't wait to start next year!! :smile:

Practice is generally up to you. Probably an average of about 2 hrs a day, but obviously it depends on what you've got on eg if you've got a performance coming up you're going to do more! Ensembles are very much based on your first study department, and electives include Alexander Technique, Big Band, Brass Band scoring/arranging, Chamber choir, Chorus, Conducting, Creative Ensemble, Early Music, Folk Ensemble, Gospel Choir, DJ Techniques, Sound Recording, Jazz Improv, Kodaly, Performance Coaching and Performing with Technology. In first year, you have to do at least 2 electives, Chorus being one of them.
What instrument do you play out of interest?
Reply 9
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Practice is generally up to you. Probably an average of about 2 hrs a day, but obviously it depends on what you've got on eg if you've got a performance coming up you're going to do more! Ensembles are very much based on your first study department, and electives include Alexander Technique, Big Band, Brass Band scoring/arranging, Chamber choir, Chorus, Conducting, Creative Ensemble, Early Music, Folk Ensemble, Gospel Choir, DJ Techniques, Sound Recording, Jazz Improv, Kodaly, Performance Coaching and Performing with Technology. In first year, you have to do at least 2 electives, Chorus being one of them.
What instrument do you play out of interest?

Hi, thank you, this is really helpful - so Chorus is a compulsory elective? What sort of things does that involve? I play recorders (which is what I auditioned on) and violin. What do you play?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending