The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sentooran
:ditto:

The SATs introduce you to the absolute basics of GCSE, but they're definitely easier: considering how within six weeks you go from learning how the nucleus is the biggest part of an animal cell to how bulls ejaculate into rubber-lined test tubes. :wink:

What course were you on :eek:?
Reply 21
Yeah, I actually found it so much easier to get an A* in GCSE maths and science than it was to get a level 8 in SATs. On the other hand, I found English at GCSE a lot harder; I found the work and the essays you have to write so much more advanced.
I know loads of people that were getting level 7s at SATs and are all set to get A*s this year; I don't think SATs results matter that much
Plus, with GCSEs you do coursework and you do what you are told and your laughing. Subjects with like 60% coursework are stupidly easy and my brother with be studying a new IT with 100% coursework. Thats got to be hell of a lot easier than his IT SAT he took.
Reply 23
Madness! Like somebody else said, I can't even remember what the questions in the SATs were like.

...really, I'm not sure what to say. To all his/her own, I guess.
Hashshashin
Really? I very much doubt you'd have achieved better than a B if you'd taken that paper in year 9. It'd be the rough equivalent of taking an easy A2 paper.

I mean that after being taught KS3 syllabus, I found KS3 Maths harder, than Maths after being taught the syllabus.You get me? I'm not saying GCSEs are easier than SATs, just that if you take them into perspective, SATs in Yr9 was harder than Maths in Yr11.
Reply 25
I don't agree at all i thought getting a level 8 was really in easy for SATs in maths all you had to do was know there was 180 degrees in a triangle, but i had to work much harder at GCSE to try to get an A*.
I knew there are 180 degrees in a triangle, didnt get a level 8. Me thinks you you are over simplifying.
I got an 8 in Maths but you cant get an 8 in English or Science! :dontknow:
For Science you can only revise out of the KS3 Revision book because all the schools teach different stuff! :frown:

I didn't revise for Maths and English but I think you can't really revise for English at KS3 except read the set scenes :redface:
Reply 29
In my school there are 250 people in the year. It is a normal state school that has a 50% pass rate so I guess we're fairly good.
Well anyway in KS3 maths, 3 people got an 8.
In our last years GCSE results we had about 20A*!!!

I guess coursework could play a big part.
When I got a level 8 in Maths SATs, the grade boundary was about 100/150 (66.6%). The A* boundary for Edexcel GCSE Maths is usually around 80%.

Therefore, I disagree. I also found Maths GCSE coursework far harder than any Maths exams.
Hashshashin
When I got a level 8 in Maths SATs, the grade boundary was about 100/150 (66.6%). The A* boundary for Edexcel GCSE Maths is usually around 80%.

Therefore, I disagree. I also found Maths GCSE coursework far harder than any Maths exams.

This year it was 99/150! :p:
Well, I never did SATS and I hadn't even heard of them before I moved to Thailand, but I'm guessing that it's just you! :biggrin:
SATs are or were easy, (im in year12 now) but one of me lil bros took his year 6 SATs this year- and they're already learning about the vena cava/pulmonary veins/arteries and all the bones in the body- i defo dont remember doing that in year 6. in fact we aint even done the names of all the bones- nor will we, unless i get into medicine
hahahaaaaaaa no year 12, i like the kindly smile though- im gna rep u for that- made me laugh
x_shimmery_lipgloss_x
Well, I never did SATS and I hadn't even heard of them before I moved to Thailand, but I'm guessing that it's just you! :biggrin:

Believe me, you're better off not knowing about them...
Reply 36
calcium878
Believe me, you're better off not knowing about them...

calcium878 did you do the tests and then not find out the results? If I did any test I would still like to know how I did even if it didn't mean anything.
Cataclysm
calcium878 did you do the tests and then not find out the results? If I did any test I would still like to know how I did even if it didn't mean anything.

Oh yes, I did the test internally. I think my results were 10, 8, 7 (I leave that upto you to match those to the subjects :p: ). I just meant that they're made a big fuss of (well they were in Year 6 when I was at state school) and, looking back, I feel annoyed that so much emphasis was put on tests that determine the school's position in League Tables, rather than my necessary education.
calcium878
Oh yes, I did the test internally. I think my results were 10, 8, 7 (I leave that upto you to match those to the subjects :p: )

Umm... level 8 is the highest SATs mark, and only achievable in the KS3 SATs, which are taken in Year 9. The highest grade you could have achieved in Year 6 would be level 6.
Reply 39
Hashshashin
Well doing well will benefit you too, as good SATs results will give the school a larger budget which will allow it to invest more money into computers, new science labs and other teaching resources.

Well considering our schools in our area are divided from years 7 to 9 and 10 to 6th form then no it doesn't :p:, as far as I'm aware though that's a Leicestershire thing so I guess you're right for the rest of the country.

Latest