The Student Room Group

Ancient History Applicants 2014

Hi :smile:

I had a look, and couldn't find any threads for this, so I thought I would post one, as it's a little more specific than just the history applicants thread.

Anyway, Where do you want to apply? Have you received any offers, and why do you want to study it?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I really want to study ancient history at Oxford , Durham or Saint Andrews as they all seem to have the best sounding courses. I'm in year 12 so I haven't applied yet but im certain im going to apply for ancient history. I have loved ancient history since before I can remember . It started of as a love for the myths and legends of ancient Greece and Persia, then expanded into a fascination for everything in the ancient world.
Are you doing ancient history? What is it like? :smile:
Reply 2
Hi!

I'm in year 13, so applying this year :-) I'm looking at Royal Holloway, Swansea, Nottingham and Birmingham (with Birmingham being my first choice if I get an offer). I thought St Andrews only did ancient History as a masters? Or that is just me getting confused! (the latter of which is most likely!)

The reason I love the course at Birmingham is the holistic approach, you're not limited to just Greece and Rome, but can do Egypt, and Ancient Turkey as well.

Thank you for replying!
I am!! I love ancient history but I'm really nervous, applying this year! I'm applying to Birmingham, Nottingham, Bristol and Liverpool. I think Birmingham will be my first choice. Hoping to send off my application this week :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by <3 history95
I am!! I love ancient history but I'm really nervous, applying this year! I'm applying to Birmingham, Nottingham, Bristol and Liverpool. I think Birmingham will be my first choice. Hoping to send off my application this week :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh! Yay! someone else wanting to go to Birmingham!

What's your favorite part of the course?
I think it all sounds really good! But I really like how we're able to learn about the Egyptians and other cultures rather than just Greeks and Romans (though I do love the Greeks and Romans!) I also think the study tour sounds amazing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
The study tour sounds brilliant! I keep checking UCAS to see if I have a reply, I think I've checked about 5 times today :-)
I know it would be fantastic. :biggrin: Good luck!!! I haven't sent off my application yet hoping to get it off this week!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
im also applying for ancient history! ahah its good to see other people are doing it! applying only at manchester and liverpool though! and then queen mary, oxford brookes and hull or uwe havent decided yet..
Reply 9
Hi :smile:
I am in year 13 and have just sent off my application for ancient history. I've applied to Birmingham, Manchester, Leicester, Liverpool and also to a classics course at Liverpool. I have received an offer from Leicester for ABB which is awesome but I am hoping for an offer from liverpool or manchester as they are my first choices.
I can't wait to do the languages, I think that's my favourite part! I've always wanted to learn Latin but never had an opportunity!
Congrats!! I'm so nervous I sent off my ucas last Thursday and have only received confirmations so far!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have applied for Warwick, Kings College London, Kent, Royal Holloway and Reading.

Really hoping for Warwick and Kent to offer me a place! Strange that Warwick's requirements are ABB whereas Kent, which is lower on the league tables, wants AAB? Hm!

Anybody received any offers yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by icedcaramellatte
I have applied for Warwick, Kings College London, Kent, Royal Holloway and Reading.

Really hoping for Warwick and Kent to offer me a place! Strange that Warwick's requirements are ABB whereas Kent, which is lower on the league tables, wants AAB? Hm!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you going to the royal holloway classics day tomorrow?
Original post by Athena_Laleak
Are you going to the royal holloway classics day tomorrow?

I'm not, I didn't hear anything about it! Are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I'm not, I didn't hear anything about it! Are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went- it was interesting- but not much you don't learn at an open day. They run things pretty much through the year they were saying- so they might have only invited some people to this one to keep numbers down, don't worry! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an offer from Nottingham today!! :biggrin: so happy!! Conditional offer for AAB :smile:
Reply 16
I got an offer from Nottingham today!! :biggrin: so happy!! Conditional offer for AAB :smile:

Congratulations! I have the same offer! :-)

Has anyone received an offer from Birmingham? They are the only one I have left to hear from- and it's driving me mad!
(edited 10 years ago)
Congratulations! I have the same offer! :-)

Has anyone received an offer from Birmingham? They are the only one I have left to hear from- and it's driving me mad!

Thanks! Congratulations to you too! :smile:
No :frown: i really hope I get one! it's my favourite!
Reply 18
Thanks! Congratulations to you too! :smile:
No :frown: i really hope I get one! it's my favourite!

I'm glad it's not just me then :redface: My mum has now become obsessed and keeps telling me to check UCAS every 5 minutes, and seeing that there is no offer is really bugging me...

If Birmingham is your first choice what would your insurance be?
I went- it was interesting- but not much you don't learn at an open day. They run things pretty much through the year they were saying- so they might have only invited some people to this one to keep numbers down, don't worry! :-)

I see, haha thats alright then! Haven't actually visited RH yet but if (hopefully!!) they offer me a place I'm going to go visit, from what I've seen it looks incredible!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply