The Student Room Group

Sociology, HELP ME!

I am a student studying my A-Levels in year 12 for the second time and I would like to know what out of school experience, like some sort of volunteering, I could do to have a better chance of studying Sociology at University

Thank You!
I think any form of volunteering would look good on a personal statement but within the context of sociology it could depend on what area of sociology you are interested in i.e. sociology of education, what sociology the university is known for researching/teaching and finally and if not the most important factor, what YOU find interesting. What university are you hoping to study at next year? Below I have listed some ideas and what topics they would possibly be useful for.

Sociology of Education - Schools, local council work, anything with children
Sociology of Health - Nursing homes, hospitals, doctors, NHS offices
Sociology of Religion - Church groups, Churches, youth projects
Sociology of Crime/Deviance/Criminology - Youth offending unit, local police work, the courts etc

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by MorganJ8
I am a student studying my A-Levels in year 12 for the second time and I would like to know what out of school experience, like some sort of volunteering, I could do to have a better chance of studying Sociology at University

Thank You!

Well I just sent off my UCAS and for my work experience I sent letters too a few local primary schools and then just went in as a visitor. It was actually really fun and the kids are really sweet. If you just link it to, for example, the education unit at AS and say what elements you found interesting when observing then you've made your link! It's also probably the easiest area to get work experience as well.
However, if you're not interested in education then you should probably ask a teacher or something. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending