NNM92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello everyone, just looking for some advice!

I would like to go to university to study nursing but I am unsure about which route to take.

I finished A-Levels 3 years ago and have been working since. Did not do as well at A-Level as I know I could have so I only have a C in Chem, D in Bio, D in RS and a Distinction in BTEC National Award - IT Practitioners.

I am currently working as a care assistant in a care home and I am keeping an eye out for opportunities to gain more experience that would help with a future uni application.

I meet the min. entry requirements for a couple of uni's I'd be interested in, but I'd prefer to be able to apply for the full five to give myself better odds!

There are no colleges near me which offer Access courses, but I have been looking at the Access To Nursing offered by DLC. Would that be the best option for me to take?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Ginge1
Badges: 3
Report 7 years ago
I'm currently doing access to HE health studies with the DLC (pretty much the same modules). I'm not sure about A levels as I never did them so can't advise on that but I'd definitely recommend the DLC if you can stay motivated to do it
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NNM92)

I would like to go to university to study nursing but I am unsure about which route to take.

I finished A-Levels 3 years ago and have been working since. Did not do as well at A-Level as I know I could have so I only have a C in Chem, D in Bio, D in RS and a Distinction in BTEC National Award - IT Practitioners.

I am currently working as a care assistant in a care home and I am keeping an eye out for opportunities to gain more experience that would help with a future uni application.

I meet the min. entry requirements for a couple of uni's I'd be interested in, but I'd prefer to be able to apply for the full five to give myself better odds!

There are no colleges near me which offer Access courses, but I have been looking at the Access To Nursing offered by DLC. Would that be the best option for me to take?

There are universities you can apply to with CDD, but as I'm sure you're aware, entry grades go up each year, and you're not going to give yourself a lot of choice.

The access course does seem like a good option for you. If you email some universities you like and send them a link to the access course, they should be able to tell you if it's suitable. They should also be able to advise you about the results you would need from the access course.
Alessio1980
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NNM92)

Hi NNM92, my name is Alessio
I read you are working as Healthcare assistant, as I would like to apply to nursing next year I need to get experience .... I was thinking to get a job as HCA ...
Have you any advice about? How can I get a job in that field? Do I need any certificates/qualification, experience? what is the right step to get the job?
Thanks so much in advance!
Ribbit1234
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The place where you're working as a healthcare assistant probably offer qualification in health and social care level 3. Ask your manager or whoever. You can complete that in under a year. Hit the highest targets in your assignments (distinctions) and youll have enough ucas points and the right qualification to apply for nursing in uni the following year
Alessio1980
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi ribbitt
Actually I was asking how can I get a job as HCA; At the moment I'm working as sales executive.
As I'd like to apply to nursing next year I was thinking at HCA as a good opportunity to get experience and familiarise with the field.
My question is: do I need any formal certificates/qualifications or other to get the job? Does exist different jobs profileI to consider to get experience towards nursing.
Thanks in advance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.26%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.26%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
44.44%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
24.07%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
1.85%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.56%

Watched Threads