Which language will be more useful German or Spanish?

Watch
gio9420
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am going to do Economics in the university. Which language shall I start studying Spanish or German (considering the fact that I am already fluent in Russian) ?
Thank you in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
saraw26
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Spanish is more widely spoken, so that may be more useful.

Also it's more similar to other European languages, so may then lead on to learning Italian etc
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Generally, I'd say spanish, but it really depends. I have no idea if in today's economic climate German is better for economics, or if the best jobs for economics are in german/english speaking countries.
hattiemcbinky
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had to make this decision too, I am studying French and didn't know which language to add on - Spanish or German. The German lecturer told me to "go where the jobs are" and because I think I might want to be a languages teacher, I searched through vacancies and 99% of the language teaching jobs were requesting Spanish to be part of it, and my French teacher had always said that Latin America is on the rise so that is how I eventually chose to do Spanish. Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
User990473
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends. Russian, English and German would be great for European economics but Spanish (especially Latin American) opens up the practically bilingual Americas.
Pastaferian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gio9420)
I am going to do Economics in the university. Which language shall I start studying Spanish or German (considering the fact that I am already fluent in Russian) ?
Thank you in advance.
German is becoming a lingua franca in central and eastern Europe, but if you want to work in the Americas, Spanish would be a better language to study.
gio9420
Rep:
?
Thank you guys for your responses. Which language do you think is easier and quicker to learn German or Spanish?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends, if you're headed to the Americas then Spanish will be most useful and will make a difference between a job and no job.

Another thing to consider, the vast majority of people who are conversant in German are also conversant in English while the same may not always be true for Spanish speakers. Economics related jobs in Europe generally won't require being fluent in German though it does become a bonus.
User990473
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gio9420)
Thank you guys for your responses. Which language do you think is easier and quicker to learn German or Spanish?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're going about this the wrong way. Learning a language because it is useful and because it takes the least amount of time is how many prospective language learners go about it but they give up/don't get far because they aren't interested in the language.

Which one sounds nicer to you? Which one has a culture that appeals to you more? Is there something about one or the other that is pulling you towards it? Go for which one you think you will enjoy more.

To answer the question, German's grammar might take a little bit longer to grapple but they take a very similar amount of time to learn.
Plainview
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Spanish will be easier, since it has more in common with English.
neunundneunzig
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends what you mean by 'useful'. If you learn Spanish, then the only practical uses would be speaking to Spanish-speaking friends or working in South America. For German however, there are only a few countries which use it, but it won't be so much of a culture shock if you were to work in those countries.
gio9420
Rep:
?
(Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
You're going about this the wrong way. Learning a language because it is useful and because it takes the least amount of time is how many prospective language learners go about it but they give up/don't get far because they aren't interested in the language.

Which one sounds nicer to you? Which one has a culture that appeals to you more? Is there something about one or the other that is pulling you towards it? Go for which one you think you will enjoy more.

To answer the question, German's grammar might take a little bit longer to grapple but they take a very similar amount of time to learn.
I guess you are right because you can't make yourself do what you don't want to do and not enjoying it. I think that I will study both Spanish and German for about two weeks and then decide which one to continue study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sie müssen Deutsch lernen. Es ist eine starke männliche Sprache. Spanisch ist nur nützlich für Kellner und Floristen.
mxliss
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Considering you're doing economics, I'd say you should study German.

Spanish is great and everything (I'm currently studying it and loving it) but I think Germany's economic situation is a bit stronger than Spain's, so maybe it'd be more relevant to you and your studies.
Octopus_Garden
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Given you are fluent in Russian, I would suggest picking German. The thing that poses the larger problem about German to native English-speakers is the case system, and this won't be such a bar to you.
CandyFlipper
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
Spanish, Latin America has big (and growing) markets like Mexico, Argentina, Peru and Colombia. It's also easy to learn Portugese after Spanish, which opens up opportunities in Brazil. Then you'd have two BRIC countries covered!

German is only useful in central Europe really. If that's where you really want to go do German, but I'd pick Spanish.
Trill
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would say Spanish, as it is pretty weird spread in Europe and the Americas

Posted from TSR Mobile
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Вы должны изучать немецкий язык. Те плохие мальчики выносят адский бой под Сталинградом.
Испанский язык для праздника скутер мальчиков.

:borat:
Катя
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
Вы должны изучать немецкий язык. Те плохие мальчики выносят адский бой под Сталинградом.
Испанский язык для праздника скутер мальчиков.

Праздник скутера мальчиков? Ну и что-же это такое? :dong:

OP: Spanish is far more widely-spoken than German, as I'm sure you know, so it can go two ways.

1. You'll be fluent in Spanish and this will come in useful because a lot of people speak Spanish.
  2. You'll be fluent in Spanish and become just another person who speaks Spanish.

Basically, I think that being able to speak English, Russian and German is more of a unique combination than English, Russian and Spanish. For instance, to use a hypothetical example, a candidate for a job who is fluent in English and Arabic would catch my eye more than someone who is fluent in English and French.

I could be completely wrong, but that's just my humble opinion. :unsure:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by катя)
праздник скутера мальчиков? ну и что-же это такое?
мальчики праздник скутера глупые позеры которые ослабить силу родины

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (55)
22.73%
Excited but a bit nervous (110)
45.45%
Not bothered either way (32)
13.22%
I'm really nervous (45)
18.6%

Watched Threads