The Student Room Group

strong EVERYTHING

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Rugby234
Haha, I'm afraid I can shed no new light on dieting! I'd also suggest no one listens to a word I say about diet for the next few months during this 'bulk' of mine.

Yeah I know what you mean, maybe just drop the weight a little and do strict press? I can pretty much guarantee you'll feel that in your shoulders more.

Db clean & presses are a pretty similar movement, but you've just got to do it twice for each set...

Ahhhh bulking......When I first started out lifting I decided to "bulk" forgetting that I am female and went for 3000 calories a day - fuarking lol @ me. Those were the days where I ate 250g of protein a day, such an idiot lol - i made some gains tho!!!! Enjoy your bulk - please stay safe tho.

Yeah will start experimenting with shoulders more, I feel its one of my weakest areas. mayeb do some cleans mabe...

TRAINING THOUGHTS

Yesterday I just did my usual 40 minutes stretching and zoned out in front of the bake off and then the football - congrats England.

I have been thinking about my training/diet and I am pretty bored with it. I was browsing the internet for a new routine/diet and I came across Lyle McDonalds UD2 which I had purchased whilst I was still at uni. I remember reading it at the time and thinking there is no way I can do this its just too time consuming but now is the time! Im set on starting it on Monday and running it for 5 cycles.

Its basically the most efficient way to diet (extreme carb cycling) and it means that I can actually set PRs whilst "dieting". Also due to the set up I will lose primarily fat as opposed to usual cutting methods where quite a bit of muscle is also lost. I like experiments and this will be the ultimate one. Just going to finish out the week by eating at maintainance and lifting as usual. I am excited!
Original post by Amskyr
Rest Day

40 min stretching + hour dog walking

What stretches do you do? Really need to improve my flexibility for taekwondo. Plus it would help with squat depth etc.
Reply 42
Original post by Appeal to reason
What stretches do you do? Really need to improve my flexibility for taekwondo. Plus it would help with squat depth etc.

The videos that I use are actually martial arts based! I use two videos, the first one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK5Uhio2eUo (this is part one, just click on the sidebar to get to part 2!)

second one here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zHWAbvShNM

The first guy is super chill and I actually find it relaxing as well as challenging - he does the front splits first so what I do is get warmed up put on his video and do it with him until 5 minutes 15. Then I switch over to the other guys video (vid 2) but jump to the 10 minute mark and do the side splits with him then I go back to the first video and do it right the way through (part 1 + 2).

I do this because the second guy has an awesome technique for the side splits (oversplits) but the other guy is just a great all round flexibility tutorial. If you do this then you can easily spend 40 minutes stretching and it goes by so fast and by the end of it you will feel so good! Let me know what you think! I hope it makes sense?!
Reply 43
Original post by Amskyr
Ahhhh bulking......When I first started out lifting I decided to "bulk" forgetting that I am female and went for 3000 calories a day - fuarking lol @ me. Those were the days where I ate 250g of protein a day, such an idiot lol - i made some gains tho!!!! Enjoy your bulk - please stay safe tho.

You are not alone, I dirty bulked from about 19-23yrs old, chocolate cakes for pre/post workout, Pasta with 6 sausages, bacon, cheese etc. At y heaviest I was just over 19st, although I carried more fat (played loads of rugby, so still in shape) that was the strongest I've ever been by far!

Will be awesome to see the new diet goes! How come it's so time consuming? Preparing food and stuff?
Reply 44
You are not alone, I dirty bulked from about 19-23yrs old, chocolate cakes for pre/post workout, Pasta with 6 sausages, bacon, cheese etc. At y heaviest I was just over 19st, although I carried more fat (played loads of rugby, so still in shape) that was the strongest I've ever been by far!

Will be awesome to see the new diet goes! How come it's so time consuming? Preparing food and stuff?

I can tell from your list of foods that you really know those feels. Dem bags of cookies from the supermarket bakery section always got me. As well as ALL THE MEAT. Its fun for a few days and then you feel like crap, I did it all in the name of gains though. Would not like to have been on the opposite team when you were playing m8....

Its not just a diet - its a way of life man!!!! Its just the level of detail/time needed - its tough - Im not joking when I say most people dont make it. You will see peoples logs online and they follow it for 10 days and then...nothing. But those who do make it - the results are amazing! Here is an example: http://ww.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/utw22/so_i_went_crazy_and_did_lyle_mcdonalds_ultimate/

I lead a pretty lame existence atm just applying to courses/jobs/assessment centres/internship/unis so Im actually in a place where I can do this. Best thing is that strength gains are more than possible as opposed to normal cutting. Its a really good read if your interested in how the body works (science lol) even if you cba with the diet.
Reply 45
Original post by Amskyr
I can tell from your list of foods that you really know those feels. Dem bags of cookies from the supermarket bakery section always got me. As well as ALL THE MEAT. Its fun for a few days and then you feel like crap, I did it all in the name of gains though. Would not like to have been on the opposite team when you were playing m8....

Its not just a diet - its a way of life man!!!! Its just the level of detail/time needed - its tough - Im not joking when I say most people dont make it. You will see peoples logs online and they follow it for 10 days and then...nothing. But those who do make it - the results are amazing! Here is an example: http://ww.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/utw22/so_i_went_crazy_and_did_lyle_mcdonalds_ultimate/

I lead a pretty lame existence atm just applying to courses/jobs/assessment centres/internship/unis so Im actually in a place where I can do this. Best thing is that strength gains are more than possible as opposed to normal cutting. Its a really good read if your interested in how the body works (science lol) even if you cba with the diet.

Bags of doughnuts and cookies are always in the the name of gains! I genuinely forgot what feeling hungry was like, but yeah always felt pretty bloated/but muscles always felt full, and to be honest I'd recommend that everyone does a long dirty(ish) bulk just to get stronger.

Will look into this new diet of yours, I seem to follow the general low carb/high card refeeds naturally, lol, start of the week I always eat a little less and ramp up to a weekend of eating whatever the phuk I want!

Example of last saturday:
Breakfast - Pint of milk, 6-8 pancakes with peanut butter.
Snack - Sandwhich of some sort.
Lunch - Large Pizza.
Snack - Pint of milk and sandwhich.
Snack - Big bowl of cereal.
Dinner - Chicken and rice, dessert - 2 boxes of chocolate fingers.
And some milk before bed with a few tablespoons of peanut butter.

Absolutely Horrendous... but so good!
Reply 46
Bags of doughnuts and cookies are always in the the name of gains! I genuinely forgot what feeling hungry was like, but yeah always felt pretty bloated/but muscles always felt full, and to be honest I'd recommend that everyone does a long dirty(ish) bulk just to get stronger.

Will look into this new diet of yours, I seem to follow the general low carb/high card refeeds naturally, lol, start of the week I always eat a little less and ramp up to a weekend of eating whatever the phuk I want!

Example of last saturday:
Breakfast - Pint of milk, 6-8 pancakes with peanut butter.
Snack - Sandwhich of some sort.
Lunch - Large Pizza.
Snack - Pint of milk and sandwhich.
Snack - Big bowl of cereal.
Dinner - Chicken and rice, dessert - 2 boxes of chocolate fingers.
And some milk before bed with a few tablespoons of peanut butter.

Absolutely Horrendous... but so good!

The bakery aisle is full of gains! Mirin that Saturday, I like your dedication to milk - love that posh full fat/cream Grahams Gold especially! Cant have PB in house as it is too good, that one by peanut butter & co - omfg.

Like I said UD2 is worth reading, its so easy to read and I love Lyle McDonalds no bull**** approach, his humour is pretty dry! I am also excited to see how I fare on it - inb4 I give up on day 3.

Training 16/10/2013

Bench

20 x13
40 x5
45 x3
49 x6

Seated DB Shoulder Press

12 x6
14 x7
14 x7

Incline DB Press

12 x9
12 x9

Lat Pulldown

35 x10
40 x8
50 x5
50 x5
45 x10

Reverse close lats things

30 x12
35 x12

Also did 25 min low intensity cardio and 30 minutes stretching straight after my workout as I was lovely and warm.
Same, if I have peanut butter at home I will probably down half the jar.
Reply 48
Original post by AreebWithaHat
Same, if I have peanut butter at home I will probably down half the jar.

And when was that ever a bad thing?! As we were saying above these foods are full of gainz!
And when was that ever a bad thing?! As we were saying above these foods are full of gainz!

2000 calories or something gone in a minute?! those are called fat gains :tongue:
Reply 50
shhhhhhh no tears only PNB-00005-0.jpg
Reply 51
Yesterday I woke up and felt so horrific had slight nausea, headache and a sore throat. I took some medicine and stayed in bed. Did my stretching though!

Felt 80% healthy today but my training was so half assed, I just was not feeling it.

Training 18/10/2013

20 minutes low intensity cardio

Bench

20 x 13
40 x5
50 x3
50.5 x4 (PR lel)

Seated Shoulder Press

14 x7
14 x7
14 x6

Stretching 30 minutes

Dear Diary

Yeah so not that great training... I was stretching and I saw this couple foam rolling together.... like this if u cri evertim. I guess couples that foam roll together stay together!I decided to seek out my oneitus as he normally trains at night but he was not there, which is bad as Im starting to forget what he looks like lol.
Reply 52
So weekend was boring just stretched for 20 minutes on Saturday and then 40 minutes on the Sun. Was really chill on the nutrition front and just ate what I liked in moderation. I wanted to be prepared mentally and physically for today.

UD2 DAY ONE

TRAINING

Bench Press

20 x15
35 x15
35 x15
32 x17
32 x14
30 x15
30 x12

Lat Pulldown

25 x20
25 x20
30 x15
30 x13
30 x12
25 x17

Shoulder Press

6x 20
6 x20
8 x15
8 x15

Bicep Curl

6 x15
6 x12
6 x12
6 x12

Leg Press

45 x 20
52 x20
59 x20
66 x20
59 x20
59 x20

Leg Extension

25 x20
32 x20
39 x20
39 x15
39 x12
39 x10

Stretching -20 minutes

Just writing all this out is making me exhausted. That workout was gruelling - there is nothing more demoralizing then watching the weight plummet whilst churning out set after set. I did feel weirdly high at the end though. I can verify that all the UD2 logs on the internet were right - depletion workouts are awful - I did not think it was possible to become nauseous from bicep curls but this workout did that to me. Felt like I was going to throw up numerous times. When I was done I staggered up the stairs as my oneitus was coming down them, I could not stop and admire his beauty as the nausea was so strong. Got another one of these to do tomorrow lol.

NUTRITION

Really not hungry but will have to force down a whey shake at some point tonight to make the following macros.

ACTUAL 1057CAL - PRO 140g, CHO 32, FAT 36

TARGET 1200CAL - PRO 170, CHO 50-65, FAT 35

NOTES

I am all for masochism but today was pretty ridiculous.
Reply 53
UD2 DAY 2

So I made it through today, definately in ketosis as I have had the signature metallic taste in my mouth all day which just adds to the fun. Workout was horrific but I made it through and I am so excited about my day off from lifting tomorrow - cardio ftw!

TRAINING

Incline DB Press

8 x15
8 x15
8 x15
6 x17
8 x14
8 x15
30 x12

Lat Pulldown

25 x20
25 x20
30 x15
30 x13
30 x12
25 x17

Shoulder Press

6x 20
6 x20

Lateral Raise

4 x20
4 x20

Bicep Curl

6 x15
6 x12
6 x10
6 x12

Close Grip Bench Press

20 x20
20 x15
20 x14
20 x12
20 x12
Leg Press

45 x 20
52 x20
59 x20
66 x20
59 x20
59 x20

Leg Extension

25 x20
32 x20
39 x20
39 x15
39 x12
39 x10

Stretching 25 minutes

NUTRITION

ACTUAL 1094CAL - PRO 140g, CHO 66, FAT 30

TARGET 1200CAL - PRO 170, CHO 50-65, FAT 35

NOTES

I knew these workouts would suck but my god they suck so much! Its a very weird feeling, you feel so drained but at the same time have a ridiculous pump going on. After my workout I just sat there for a good 10 mins in the changing room eating my protein bar like a zombie. Diet is fine, I am never hungry.
Reply 54
Looking good, lots of volume despite the fact the way you say you feel, is your body eventually meant to get used to the diet?!

How do you list you weights? Reps x kgs?

Also, do you take pre workouts, cause I can almost guarantee they will help give you that bit extra when the diet is hitting hard.
Reply 55
Looking good, lots of volume despite the fact the way you say you feel, is your body eventually meant to get used to the diet?!

How do you list you weights? Reps x kgs?

Also, do you take pre workouts, cause I can almost guarantee they will help give you that bit extra when the diet is hitting hard.

You are meant to get used to it but its just so tough. You are only allowed 45 - 60 sec rest between sets and the time under tension has to be around 45 to 60 seconds. So its not just pumping out fast reps, you have to contract and "hold" so you really feel the burn, the light weight gets heavy real fast... You are also on less than 50g carbs whilst all this is going on. yey

I list my weights kgs x reps, although I have made a mistake on my last log where I listed the last set of incline bench as 30 x12 which would be double my one rep max!

I am a massive coffee addict/lover, we have a coffee grinder and espresso machine so I normally go for that! Never taken anything else, what can I take to get me through?!??!

UD2 DAY 3

TRAINING

30 minutes steady state cardio - 30 mins

30 minutes stretching

Was really quiet in the gym today and it was only me and another girl in the studio room. She was doing some martial arts training whilst I was at the other end stretching for splits. She then comes and takes the mat right infront of me obscuring my view of the mirror... There were so many other spots she could have taken, y do dis? It was my best stretch session yet though and my poverty front splits is coming along nicely!

NUTRITION

ACTUAL - 915CAL - 148 PRO, 13 CHO, 26 FAT

TARGET - 1200 - PRO 170, CHO 50-65, FAT 35

NOTES

Saw my physio today and he is happy with my progress - as am I! My back no longer hurts everyday and I can do normal everyday stuff now. Only hurts in the gym but its a lot better than what it was. I got some more exercises to do and I am to keep it really light and go with the "no pain rule" . He says if I do this and my exercises I will be back deadlifting in 2 months!!! He says in the meantime I can use the hex bar and should be able to lift heavy as it will not aggravate the sensitised tissue in my back. Happy!
:smile:
Original post by Amskyr

Saw my physio today and he is happy with my progress - as am I! My back no longer hurts everyday and I can do normal everyday stuff now. Only hurts in the gym but its a lot better than what it was. I got some more exercises to do and I am to keep it really light and go with the "no pain rule" . He says if I do this and my exercises I will be back deadlifting in 2 months!!! He says in the meantime I can use the hex bar and should be able to lift heavy as it will not aggravate the sensitised tissue in my back. Happy!

PRSOM. I've been following your blog, and that's brilliant news with the physio. Hope to see you back over the bar soon!
Original post by Amskyr

Great news!
I could never get used to the grip on the hex bar personally, feels really wierd.
Reply 58
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
PRSOM. I've been following your blog, and that's brilliant news with the physio. Hope to see you back over the bar soon!

PRSOM? Yeah I am very happy, it took going through a few physios to get to the root of it though I wish I had seen him first! It was actually a very simple/minor causation so no damage has been done thank goodness - although the pain it caused me made me believe I had inflicted a major injury! Will be back at the bar and pulling with a vengeance soon! Also - I follow u 2.

Original post by Appeal to reason
Great news!
I could never get used to the grip on the hex bar personally, feels really wierd.

Always wondered what it was and not it is to become my new best friend - I am excite!

Okay so I have three days logging to catch up on - so much has happened! Let me take you back to Thursday evening......

UD2 DAY 4

This is a strange day as up until 7pm I am on my low carb/fat high protein diet and yet after my 7pm workout A WORLD OF CARBS awaits. You are meant to consume 2/3 of your mon - wed intake I only got in 600 cals about 110g PRO. Then I did my workout which is designed to deplete the remaining glycogen stores whilst priming my muscles for the carb load for the optimum anabolic response. The weights used are 70 - 85% of my 1 rep max.

30 minutes before workout - 1/2 bagel + 15g whey + 5g creatine

Bench

20 x12
40 x12
42 x12

Lat Pull

35 x10
40 x 9
45 x8

Incline Bench

8 x 12
10 x8
10 x8
10 x8

DB Shoulder Press

10 X12
10 X12
10 X10

DB Row

16 x 10
20 x8
20 x8

Seated Biceps Curls

8 x10
8 x10

Close Grip Bench Press

20 x12
30 x10
30 x10

Front Squat

20 x6
20 x6
40 x5
40 x5

Deads (super light from blocks due to back)

40 x6
40 x6

Leg Press

70 x12
70 x12

Despite running on 600cal this workout was brilliant - got it all done in an hour and I was in a really great mood.

I then began my carb load which lasts 24 hours so I will document it in the next day of UD2

UD2 DAY 5

macros of peace.jpg
My carb load went well considering it was my first time. Its very strange eating 700+ grams of carbs on a diet .... dat feel when bagels are your primary protein source. The weird thing is that I was not bloated at all, my body took all the carbs I threw at it, I was always satisfied and never stuffed. Didnt get any big mood crashes, I was stable throughout and most importantly I managed to keep fat low.

Throughout my carb load I took 25g of creatine as it increases glycogen storage.

UD2 DAY 6

Today is the day I waited for!!! I was so excited - today is the power workout - so I lift hard and heavy! I woke up feeling great and I was not bloated - I felt great!

Bench

20 x13
40 x5
50 x4
52 x3
53 x2 (PR +3kg)
52 x3

Rows DB

18 x6
22 x6
24 x5
26 x3 (PR +4kg)

Shoulder Press

14 x6
16 x4
16 x4 (PR + 2kg)

Lat Pull Downs

40 x5
50 x5
55 x5

Leg Press

50 x7
70 x6
80 x6
90 x6
100 x6

Front Squat

20 x5
40 x3 (back did not like this decided to leave it there)

Leg Extension

45 x6
50 x6
64 x6
73 x6

Close Grip Bench

20 x6
37 x6
37 x6

Concentration Curls

12 x3
12 x3

This workout was amazing, I was so full of energy and I am SO happy with my bench increase. 50 had previously felt as heavy as **** but 52 felt more than manageable, I should have rested longer to get more out of the 53 but I am to young to die (no spotters). This is how I love to train and I felt so strong (like the testosterone of 10 men coursing through me lol), only movement I am disappointed in is lat pulldowns which are one of my favourites but they havnt felt good for a while. I wanted to sprint home I had so much energy to burn - feelsgoodman! In terms of macros I am to eat at maintainance so thats what I have been doing - pro high, moderate carbs and low fat. So happy! Also saw my oneitus and I was so taken aback that I forgot to look at what he was benching - I need to know dis. Much happiness today! Exclamat!on marksz!!!!!!! !!!!11111!!!!11!!1111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PRSOM=please rep some other member!

Nice bench PR, you nearly catching up to my bench now haha.

Also are you on drugs or something? You seem very hyper

Quick Reply

Latest