The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Fashion Marketing/Management At Southampton Uni?

Hi all,

I am looking at fashion marketing courses at various different uni's for 2014 but Southampton (Winchester school of art) is the one I am most interested in... I'm going to an open day on the 30th October so really looking forward to seeing the place!! I would love to know if anyone else is looking at this course as well as any info you can give, such as what the interview is like... Or even if the course is difficult to get onto.

Thank you:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm applying for this two as a 5th choice probably, although admittidly i havent seen it. But the fact that its not on main campus puts me off a bit, thats what i dont like about westminster is that its a small arts faculty all by itself :frown:

do you know much about it, and are you worried about applying to russel group unis apposed to ex polis for our type of course, or are you applying to both? I am applying to uni of manch, uni of leeds, lcf, westminster, uni of southhampton

On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Hiya, I only really know what I've read online so think it's always best to see it in person, yeah I'm a little bit nervous about applying to a Russell group uni because of the reputation that they are maybe more difficult to get into.

I'm also a bit apprehensive like you about applying to a uni where the campus is quite a distance away, but I think Winchester school of arts is a nice place.

I'm looking at Southampton, lfc, Ravensbourne in London, Falmouth and maybe uca in Rochester as a backup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Charplatts
Hiya, I only really know what I've read online so think it's always best to see it in person, yeah I'm a little bit nervous about applying to a Russell group uni because of the reputation that they are maybe more difficult to get into.

I'm also a bit apprehensive like you about applying to a uni where the campus is quite a distance away, but I think Winchester school of arts is a nice place.

I'm looking at Southampton, lfc, Ravensbourne in London, Falmouth and maybe uca in Rochester as a backup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if we have accom and study complelty there and the degree is just accredited by uni of southhampton or we actually are part of southhampton uni? It's annoying like many good places like Westminster Winchester UCA Epsom etc are all tiny art based campuses! I think they do have good industry links though. I wouldn't worry about the RG thing, as long as you have a good statement and grades hopefully you'll get an offer. I'm actually more worried about LCF as most people get straight rejected!! Have you looked at uni of manch?
Reply 4
Original post by gabyrowland
Do you know if we have accom and study complelty there and the degree is just accredited by uni of southhampton or we actually are part of southhampton uni? It's annoying like many good places like Westminster Winchester UCA Epsom etc are all tiny art based campuses! I think they do have good industry links though. I wouldn't worry about the RG thing, as long as you have a good statement and grades hopefully you'll get an offer. I'm actually more worried about LCF as most people get straight rejected!! Have you looked at uni of manch?

Ps what are your grades and what subjects :smile:
Reply 5
Ps what are your grades and what subjects :smile:

Yeah if you went there you would only be studying in Winchester, there are halls of residence there to but I also think there are some in Southampton if you don't mind the commute. Not sure about whether or not the degree is accredited by Southampton, I will ask when I go there, but since it is on their website I would assume it is. I've heard about people getting rejected at lcf too, it's a tough uni to get into, I'm still on the fence about whether I want to apply or if it will be a waste of an application:/

I haven't looked at Manchester really, was looking at Leeds but they have exams as part of their course and I prefer all coursework based, also I don't really want to go that far away from home. Are you coming from up north of down south like me?
I'm studying a BTEC level 3 in graphic design so won't get my overall grade till next year but am predicted DDD so hopefully that will be good enough.

What about you, what grades and courses are you doing? Have you been to any open days yet.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Yeah if you went there you would only be studying in Winchester, there are halls of residence there to but I also think there are some in Southampton if you don't mind the commute. Not sure about whether or not the degree is accredited by Southampton, I will ask when I go there, but since it is on their website I would assume it is. I've heard about people getting rejected at lcf too, it's a tough uni to get into, I'm still on the fence about whether I want to apply or if it will be a waste of an application:/

I haven't looked at Manchester really, was looking at Leeds but they have exams as part of their course and I prefer all coursework based, also I don't really want to go that far away from home. Are you coming from up north of down south like me?
I'm studying a BTEC level 3 in graphic design so won't get my overall grade till next year but am predicted DDD so hopefully that will be good enough.

What about you, what grades and courses are you doing? Have you been to any open days yet.

oh okay, not sure about whether I want southhampton but oh well, I sent off my ucas yesterday so! Yeah LCF is tough but I'm going for it. Ah okay fair enough, haha that's cool, I'm doing a levels so used to exams. I live in the midlands in Shropshire so southhampton is the furthest and leeds/manch are about 2 hours. London is 3 what does DDD equivalent to in a level grades? I'm doing a levels in art economics and geography and did an AS in philsophy. I got an A in that and geography and Bs in the other two, but may do some retakes. I'm predicted AAA I think but I'm hoping for AAB-ABB. (the teachers are a bit over positive haha)
I've been to Westminster, Manchester and leeds open days. Loved leeds but it is a new course so worried about industry links. Manch courses were quite good and industry links were sweet but not sure about whether or not I liked manch uni or not ill have to take another visit, I really didn't like the Westminster campus at all!! Have you been to any? I really need to visit LCF soon and southhampton too, especially if I get offers (fingers crossed)
Reply 7
oh okay, not sure about whether I want southhampton but oh well, I sent off my ucas yesterday so! Yeah LCF is tough but I'm going for it. Ah okay fair enough, haha that's cool, I'm doing a levels so used to exams. I live in the midlands in Shropshire so southhampton is the furthest and leeds/manch are about 2 hours. London is 3 what does DDD equivalent to in a level grades? I'm doing a levels in art economics and geography and did an AS in philsophy. I got an A in that and geography and Bs in the other two, but may do some retakes. I'm predicted AAA I think but I'm hoping for AAB-ABB. (the teachers are a bit over positive haha)
I've been to Westminster, Manchester and leeds open days. Loved leeds but it is a new course so worried about industry links. Manch courses were quite good and industry links were sweet but not sure about whether or not I liked manch uni or not ill have to take another visit, I really didn't like the Westminster campus at all!! Have you been to any? I really need to visit LCF soon and southhampton too, especially if I get offers (fingers crossed)

Wow you already applied, i was going to do it at end of month or mid November, maybe i should speed things up a bit but good luck and let me know how it goes:smile:. I've decided I'm not going to apply for LCF now, it looks amazing but just don't want to risk it and get rejected.

I think DDD is equivalent to 360 UCAS points or three A's, so i guess that's good, just need to work hard:smile: Your predicted the same as me then but in a level terms, and i could imagine AAB-ABB is definitely good enough to get into one of the better uni's.

Ohh so your the complete opposite to me, I'm like an hour 1/2 away from London and Southampton (if there's no traffic) but Leeds and Manch are like 6 hours away! I've heard that the industry links at LCF are brilliant as it is central London where everything's happening and Southampton always seems to get good reviews... Haven't been to any open days yet but am going to see Falmouth on the 29th, Southampton on the 30th and Southampton Solent on the 31st. then I'm going to see Ravensbourne on the 9th of next month. cant wait to apply though:smile:

Can i ask what kind of stuff you included in your personal statement, pretty much finished mine but don't want to miss anything out? how did you find writing yours?
Reply 8
Wow you already applied, i was going to do it at end of month or mid November, maybe i should speed things up a bit but good luck and let me know how it goes:smile:. I've decided I'm not going to apply for LCF now, it looks amazing but just don't want to risk it and get rejected.

I think DDD is equivalent to 360 UCAS points or three A's, so i guess that's good, just need to work hard:smile: Your predicted the same as me then but in a level terms, and i could imagine AAB-ABB is definitely good enough to get into one of the better uni's.

Ohh so your the complete opposite to me, I'm like an hour 1/2 away from London and Southampton (if there's no traffic) but Leeds and Manch are like 6 hours away! I've heard that the industry links at LCF are brilliant as it is central London where everything's happening and Southampton always seems to get good reviews... Haven't been to any open days yet but am going to see Falmouth on the 29th, Southampton on the 30th and Southampton Solent on the 31st. then I'm going to see Ravensbourne on the 9th of next month. cant wait to apply though:smile:

Can i ask what kind of stuff you included in your personal statement, pretty much finished mine but don't want to miss anything out? how did you find writing yours?

Dont worry, my school just likes to send them off ASAP. Haha thanks, some people in my year have already got offers- it's scary. Ah okay. Yeah a levels are pretty tough. Yeah Westminster and LCF are amazing for industry links but I'm not sure I want to be in London with LCF and didn't like Westminster. Then again I do love London!
Falmout is quite good, but not what I want really. I did intro, extra reading, two paragraphs of work experience, academics , interests, pastoral stuff in school/d of e etc, esb stuff as I did my talk in history of fashion etc etc. I had to do 12 drafts because 4000 characters is nothing!!! What have you got in yours?
Reply 9
Dont worry, my school just likes to send them off ASAP. Haha thanks, some people in my year have already got offers- it's scary. Ah okay. Yeah a levels are pretty tough. Yeah Westminster and LCF are amazing for industry links but I'm not sure I want to be in London with LCF and didn't like Westminster. Then again I do love London!
Falmout is quite good, but not what I want really. I did intro, extra reading, two paragraphs of work experience, academics , interests, pastoral stuff in school/d of e etc, esb stuff as I did my talk in history of fashion etc etc. I had to do 12 drafts because 4000 characters is nothing!!! What have you got in yours?

Ahh okay, I can't really send mine off yet as need to seethe places first, I've done an intro into why I'm interested etc, a paragraph on my academics and work experiences, what I do in my spare time, pretty much the same as you. It's quite scary as we need to make ourselves stand out which is so hard when there are lots of people applying for the same course I actually can't wait for uni now!!
Sounds good.
Neither-worried about not applying to the places with a good course rep eg Northumbria, nottingham Trent, de Montford etc. Although north nimrods course is not for me and I have no interest in Nottingham/Leicester. Fingers crossed I get all offers :frown:
Reply 11
Yea I heard that Northumbria and Nottingham Trent are great, too far away for me! And I'm not really interested in Leicester either:smile: yeah good luck I hope you get the uni you want:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hi there :smile: ive been thinking of applying to do fashion marketing and management at Southampton uni but i'm unsure and not sure if I can visit as I live in france. does anyone know how strict they are in the application process and what they're looking for (portfolio, grades etc)? Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by lucierose
Hi there :smile: ive been thinking of applying to do fashion marketing and management at Southampton uni but i'm unsure and not sure if I can visit as I live in france. does anyone know how strict they are in the application process and what they're looking for (portfolio, grades etc)? Thanks very much :smile:

Personally I don't know anyone who has applied for this course so I'm not sure how strict they are. They only take 50 students so it is quite competitive and as for grades, this link to the website (http://www.southampton.ac.uk/wsa/undergraduate/courses/wn25_ba_fashion_marketing_management.page) should tell you...not sure about portfolio.
Hope this helped:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucierose

Grades are ABB. Portfolio not needed I don't think :smile:
Personally I don't know anyone who has applied for this course so I'm not sure how strict they are. They only take 50 students so it is quite competitive and as for grades, this link to the website (http://www.southampton.ac.uk/wsa/undergraduate/courses/wn25_ba_fashion_marketing_management.page) should tell you...not sure about portfolio.
Hope this helped:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hello! Ucas got my application a week ago and I got an offer from leeds today so pretty excited :smile: how's your application going?
Reply 16
hello! Ucas got my application a week ago and I got an offer from leeds today so pretty excited :smile: how's your application going?

Wow that's great! Leads is a really good uni:smile: did you have an interview or anything? Mines going good, I've finally finished my personal statement and am going to apply around the 10th November after I've seen Ravensbourne. Have you heard anything from LCF yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's great! Leads is a really good uni:smile: did you have an interview or anything? Mines going good, I've finally finished my personal statement and am going to apply around the 10th November after I've seen Ravensbourne. Have you heard anything from LCF yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I litrally sent off a week ago so obviously no interview they just offered me. and they have till may 8th to decide so not expecting anything. I think the russle groups are more on it than say LCF as my best friend has got all her offers already! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got an offer from southhampton yesterday
Reply 19
Got an offer from southhampton yesterday

That's great, yea by the sounds of it, since both Leeds and Southampton have responded so soon the Russell group uni's must decide quite fast. I just visited Southampton and loved it, good course, its defo going to be my first choice, what is your first and second choices?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending