The Student Room Group

Pythagoras or Surd?

I believe this is a pythaogras question but the thing is i think the online hw is about surds but the thing is i know you have to do 242 + 52= 601 but then with pythogaras I know you have to square root 601 so im wandering if the answer is square root 601./

Select one:
A.
B.
C.
D.

Reply 1
Original post by ChocoholicCox
I believe this is a pythaogras question but the thing is i think the online hw is about surds but the thing is i know you have to do 242 + 52= 601 but then with pythogaras I know you have to square root 601 so im wandering if the answer is square root 601./

Select one:
A.
B.
C.
D.

I cannot see the question but given your thoughts - why are you unsure
Original post by TenOfThem
I cannot see the question but given your thoughts - why are you unsure

Basically because im doing like a surd sort of online hw thing and theres a surd as one of the answers so i dk :/
Reply 3
Basically because im doing like a surd sort of online hw thing and theres a surd as one of the answers so i dk :/

I still do not know why you are unsure - you know how pythagoras works so what is the problem
Reply 4
You know that a2+b2=c2 All yo have to do is apply it to the question
I can't see why it would be a topic solely on surds.
601 is a prime number so there is no manipulation as such.
A little boring.
Original post by m4ths/maths247
I can't see why it would be a topic solely on surds.
601 is a prime number so there is no manipulation as such.
A little boring.

haha true :smile:, so would it be root 601 or 601?

I'm not sure what the question is as you haven't included x anywhere in your post.
If it's Pythagoras then you should be able to deduce the answer.
The last time I saw a triangle with side lengths 24, 5 and 601 units was some time ago...
Reply 8

Why are you asking this

If it is Pythag and you know how to do Pythag then you know the answer
I'm not sure what the question is as you haven't included x anywhere in your post.
The last time I saw a triangle with side lengths 24, 5 and 601 units was some time ago...

Oh sorry ill put a picture up now thought i did have but mustn't of worked

(edited 10 years ago)
Why are you asking this

If it is Pythag and you know how to do Pythag then you know the answer

I no longer believe it could be taken for granted. :frown:
Often the plug and chug methods of teaching and blindly following a formula can be the undoing of some, even at A Level (as you will know).

I have the question but won't come up by picture so I put it in a word document :smile:
Reply 12
pythag theorum, a squared plus b squared = c squared. where c is the hypotenuse( longest side) and it is a right angled triangle.
rearrange if you want to find a or b
I have the question but won't come up by picture so I put it in a word document :smile:

So, what is your problem - you know how to do this question
So, what is your problem - you know how to do this question

Yeah Thanks :smile:, just doing the normal pythogaras way.
Yeah Thanks :smile:, just doing the normal pythogaras way.

yep

Based on some of your questions today - you just need to have more confidence in your abilities
yep

Based on some of your questions today - you just need to have more confidence in your abilities

Yeah true, since its just like online hw im just nervous if i get it wrong :frown:
Yeah true, since its just like online hw im just nervous if i get it wrong :frown:

Ask your teacher to assess your learning in another way.
Learning maths should not create an environment where you are nervous to answer basic questions correctly this early in a course.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest