The Student Room Group

English Language vs. English Language & Linguistics?

I am currently in the process of applying to universities, but I am unsure of the difference between two similar courses. I want to do English Language, but some universities advertise a course as "English Language and Linguistics". I am an A-Level English student and obviously aware of the meaning of 'linguistics', but does this mean that "English Language" courses do not offer a real study into the depths of language? Is there something huge that I will be missing out on should I just choose "English Language"?

I have checked the course outlines to compare, but both seem very similar.

So, can anyone explain what the big differences are? Thanks!
You need to read the detailed course descriptions to work out if linguistics is covered with the Language courses even if it isnt named as such. Not the quick paragraph that tells you 'what the course is about' but the detailed descriptions of all the optional courses in all of the three years of the course. If this isnt available via the course webpage, then email the Dept and ask for it - they wont mind.

I also suggest you look at what the study of both these subjects involves at Uni level - what do you actually get to study? Look at some Uni level text books on Amazon like
for Linguistics ( http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Linguistics-Cambridge-Introductions-Language/dp/0521541220).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending