Turn on thread page Beta

How much weight can i lose by exercising for 90 minutes 6 days a week watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to jump rope for 20 mins, do leg exercise for 10 and one hour exercises on youtube.

I will also stop eating by 6.30, cut out junk food (ill treat myself once a month/3 weeks)

And i will drink 3l of water everyday

I want to lose 24 pounds by mid February

Im currently 9stone 6 pounds and 5ft4 and a half. Please dont say i dont need to lose that much because its something i want to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    I want to jump rope for 20 mins, do leg exercise for 10 and one hour exercises on youtube.

I will also stop eating by 6.30, cut out junk food (ill treat myself once a month/3 weeks)

I currently weigh 9stone 6 pounds and im 5ft4 and a half

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Im currently 9stone 6 pounds and 5ft4 and a half. Please dont say i dont need to lose that much because its something i want to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So many different factors that influence weight loss, you cannot accurately estimate how much weight you will lose. Factors such as: how many calories you're consuming, the effectiveness of your training, and how good your overall diet is will also affect your weightloss. Also why do you plan to stop eating at 6.30?

ReputationRep:
    You'd get much further by going for more challenging training on less day

e.g.
    Monday 20 min run
    Tues flexibility/stretching
    Wed HIIT (1 min sprint, 1 min rest for 10 mins)
    Thurs flexibility/stretching
    Fri squats/situps/planks/pressups/dips/lunges etc
    Sat flexibility/streching
    Sun walk/swim

that would be a decent template to start with - you can increase the run time etc and you actually get to go outside! :ahee:
    The flexibility days are really just recovery days so you don't make yourself ill.

Most of losing weight is a calorie deficit. Eating a little less than your body uses = fat burned Don't overdo it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    So many different factors that influence weight loss, you cannot accurately estimate how much weight you will lose. Factors such as: how many calories you're consuming, the effectiveness of your training, and how good your overall diet is will also affect your weightloss. Also why do you plan to stop eating at 6.30?
    I eat alot at night and by doing that, i can cut down the calories by alot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    google for information on how to lose weight, join an active weightloss group at the gym etc

solely losing weight is a matter of calories
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Too much exercise to do 6 days a week... you're better off doing less, and make it quality and get some strength training thrown in too.

Try looking at an app like myfitnesspal, that will help to make sure you're eating enough

(if you over exercise and undereat, you'll feel miserable and though you may initially lose weight, you'll platau and then gain it all back as soon as you stop doing such a ridiculous routine.

Make your goals attainable, what was suggested above is far better.

ReputationRep:
    I eat alot at night and by doing that, i can cut down the calories by alot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Eat a lot?

What kind of things are you eating at night? 6.30 till you wake up for breakfast in the morning is an awful long time, over a long period of time it might hinder your fat loss in my opinion. Hopefully someone can help me, but doesn't excessive caloric restriction, cardio, and stress on the body result in metabolic damage. You might want to calculate your maintenance calories to assist your weight loss rather than a 'starving' method.

ReputationRep:
    Eat a lot?

What kind of things are you eating at night? 6.30 till you wake up for breakfast in the morning is an awful long time, over a long period of time it might hinder your fat loss in my opinion. Hopefully someone can help me, but doesn't excessive caloric restriction, cardio, and stress on the body result in metabolic damage. You might want to calculate your maintenance calories to assist your weight loss rather than a 'starving' method.
    There is some evidence (although sketchy) that calorific restriction can bring BMR down somewhat but nowhere near to having real world effects. Just check out the Minnesota starving experiment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Q: How much weight can i lose by exercising for 90 minutes 6 days a week

A: None whatsoever

Just solely exercising on its own will never use up enough energy to put you in a caloric deficit unless your diet is correct. You can lose 24 pounds by mid February without doing any exercise at all as long as your energy intake is lower than what your using up. See the problem here?

Post some more detailed information about what you're going to be eating and it might be easier to see what your chances are. Plus if you're going to be drinking 3 litres of water a day (why?) in addition to other drinks make sure you reduce the amount of salt in your diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    There is some evidence (although sketchy) that calorific restriction can bring BMR down somewhat but nowhere near to having real world effects. Just check out the Minnesota starving experiment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that the study were the participants reduced their calorific intake by 50% and reached ridiculously low bodyfats?

ReputationRep:
    Is that the study were the participants reduced their calorific intake by 50% and reached ridiculously low bodyfats?
    Pretty much. Iirc there were different tiers of kcal intake but they all became emancipated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Why?

ReputationRep:
    No, that's the study where men were purposefully starved in order to find out how best to refeed a starving person.

What happened, though, is that they all became anorexic (mentally). They obsessed about their figures, their food, they began to stash food, they became irritable and depressed, etc, etc.

After they were allowed to eat what they like, they went wild and binged and binged and stole food, etc. They went over 10k calories on some days. One or two men developed bulimia. Most of them gained far, far more than what they were originally.

Within a year, though, they were all back down to normal.

Moral of the story? Putting yourself on a "diet" makes you obsessed with food and your body to an unhealthy degree, and eventually, you'll end up either a) "losing control", eating lots, feeling terrible about it, dieting more, etc, or b) developing an eating disorder.

OP, if you're really that concerned about your health, then by all means add enjoyable exercise to your life, as well as fresh fruit and vegetables. It will make you feel wonderful.

However, doing the whole "must lose X lbs by X date and do X minutes of exercise daily and eat no more than X calories daily" shebang just makes people miserable, most of the time.

And if you're wanting to lose weight to feel happier and "prettier" or whatever, then prepare to be disappointed. Getting compliments for losing weight gives you a short high, and then that's it. It won't make you satisfied with yourself or your life, it will just give you a tiny, temporary boost. I'm speaking as someone who was unhappy with her body, repeatedly tried staring "exercise regimes" and stuff, kept setting myself "weight loss goals", etc, and then fast forward one year and I'm thin and "hot", arguably, but still very, very miserable. Extremely so.

I'm by far not the only one who loses weight and then finds that the unhappiness and self-consciousness is still there.

Just sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to estimate if you're not calorie counting.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The not eating after half 6 thing isn't a good idea. Starving yourself will just screw up your metabolism and you won't sleep well if you're starving at night.

If you're ever hungry, then eat. Just don't eat until full up, and eat something fairly low in calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Катя)
    No, that's the study where men were purposefully starved in order to find out how best to refeed a starving person.

What happened, though, is that they all became anorexic (mentally). They obsessed about their figures, their food, they began to stash food, they became irritable and depressed, etc, etc.

After they were allowed to eat what they like, they went wild and binged and binged and stole food, etc. They went over 10k calories on some days. One or two men developed bulimia. Most of them gained far, far more than what they were originally.

Within a year, though, they were all back down to normal.

Moral of the story? Putting yourself on a "diet" makes you obsessed with food and your body to an unhealthy degree, and eventually, you'll end up either a) "losing control", eating lots, feeling terrible about it, dieting more, etc, or b) developing an eating disorder.

OP, if you're really that concerned about your health, then by all means add enjoyable exercise to your life, as well as fresh fruit and vegetables. It will make you feel wonderful.

However, doing the whole "must lose X lbs by X date and do X minutes of exercise daily and eat no more than X calories daily" shebang just makes people miserable, most of the time.

And if you're wanting to lose weight to feel happier and "prettier" or whatever, then prepare to be disappointed. Getting compliments for losing weight gives you a short high, and then that's it. It won't make you satisfied with yourself or your life, it will just give you a tiny, temporary boost. I'm speaking as someone who was unhappy with her body, repeatedly tried staring "exercise regimes" and stuff, kept setting myself "weight loss goals", etc, and then fast forward one year and I'm thin and "hot", arguably, but still very, very miserable. Extremely so.

I'm by far not the only one who loses weight and then finds that the unhappiness and self-consciousness is still there.

Just sayin'.
    I don't understand why you're miserable when you pursued your goals due to not being satisfied with your physical appearance. I have quite a few friends who count their calories however, for bodybuilding purposes (so perhaps weight loss purposes can be deemed more tedious and likely to make your miserable). As a bodybuilder I don't mind count my calories because I know that I will see the results from doing so, plus there is a degree of leniency in bodybuilding in terms of what you can eat (especially for men). So perhaps there are some discrepancies between men and women with regards to the psychological affects of dieting. Also that starving experiment sounds interesting, might consider using it for my ethics disseration

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why you're miserable when you pursued your goals due to not being satisfied with your physical appearance. I have quite a few friends who count their calories however, for bodybuilding purposes (so perhaps weight loss purposes can be deemed more tedious and likely to make your miserable). As a bodybuilder I don't mind count my calories because I know that I will see the results from doing so, plus there is a degree of leniency in bodybuilding in terms of what you can eat (especially for men). So perhaps there are some discrepancies between men and women with regards to the psychological affects of dieting. Also that starving experiment sounds interesting, might consider using it for my ethics disseration
    Yeah, I definitely think there are differences psychologically! For instance, women are "supposed" to be light and toned, and you guys are "supposed" to be heavy and muscly. Or something. :dontknow:

It's a really interesting experiment, definitely! Here is a good summary of it:
    http://www.gretchennewmark.com/wp-co...Starvation.pdf

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not an expert or anything, but didn't you post a weight loss program a few weeks ago? Did you keep to that? What makes you think you can keep to this one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    The not eating after half 6 thing isn't a good idea. Starving yourself will just screw up your metabolism and you won't sleep well if you're starving at night.

If you're ever hungry, then eat. Just don't eat until full up, and eat something fairly low in calories.
    So i eat just when im hungry? I mostly tend to eat out of boredom or because the food is just there. Really need to stop that. Any tips?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.