The Student Room Group

leaving primark

Hi guys,

Making a new thread as i am not sure if people actually respond to people's queries on the other primark thread.

hey guys, what effect does going on counseling have on your work record? For example, i had an argument with my manager and my manager mistook my words and claimed that i was demonstrating aggressive behaviour by my tone etc. This is completely not true and i am now placed on counseling. Will this effect my fture job applications to other jobs (in sectors not only in retail but others) in the future? I have been told that it won't and that it only applies for the next 6 months that i will be working there. The thing is, i am unsure of the future and i don't know if i may need a job at primark (just to make some quick cash) again so i am wondering if i decided to quit and later decided to apply for a job at primark sometime next year, would the fact that i was on counseling show up? I have been told that it would not. Also, will it show up on future job applications to other jobs in retail and other sectors (e.g.business, media etc)?

Also, how long in advance do i have to notify my managers of me wanting to resign? I have heard that it is one week in advance.Also, if i decide to resign and give in the letter, will i still be allowed to apply for primark jobs in the future (or later year) and will the fact that i resigned hinder my chances?

Thanks Guys!
Reply 1
Original post by rurounikenji
Hi guys,

Making a new thread as i am not sure if people actually respond to people's queries on the other primark thread.

hey guys, what effect does going on counseling have on your work record? For example, i had an argument with my manager and my manager mistook my words and claimed that i was demonstrating aggressive behaviour by my tone etc. This is completely not true and i am now placed on counseling. Will this effect my fture job applications to other jobs (in sectors not only in retail but others) in the future? I have been told that it won't and that it only applies for the next 6 months that i will be working there. The thing is, i am unsure of the future and i don't know if i may need a job at primark (just to make some quick cash) again so i am wondering if i decided to quit and later decided to apply for a job at primark sometime next year, would the fact that i was on counseling show up? I have been told that it would not. Also, will it show up on future job applications to other jobs in retail and other sectors (e.g.business, media etc)?

Also, how long in advance do i have to notify my managers of me wanting to resign? I have heard that it is one week in advance.Also, if i decide to resign and give in the letter, will i still be allowed to apply for primark jobs in the future (or later year) and will the fact that i resigned hinder my chances?

Thanks Guys!

counselling is only for the current job you are in. I.E if they put you on counselling it means they monitor you for any more screwups etc... ONLY on that job. If you were to quit right now , it wouldnt matter in another job (of course your manager if asked about a reference will mention it).

Some jobs have different "notice periods" (the time you tell them you are going to resign it). Some want it a week in advance , some weekS in advance , others 1 month in advance. You need to check your contract to find out.
Reply 2
Original post by eXemp
counselling is only for the current job you are in. I.E if they put you on counselling it means they monitor you for any more screwups etc... ONLY on that job. If you were to quit right now , it wouldnt matter in another job (of course your manager if asked about a reference will mention it).

Some jobs have different "notice periods" (the time you tell them you are going to resign it). Some want it a week in advance , some weekS in advance , others 1 month in advance. You need to check your contract to find out.

Ah phew!! I If i were to tell you what the argument was about, you would laugh your ass off. It wasn't even an argument but the manager obviously had a grudge and completely changed it all around. Anyways, that's great to hear. They have told m,e that the counseling is only for 6 months so i am guessing, should i decide to leave and then in the future like a year later, decide to go back to another primark, i am guessing the fact that i was on counseling hinder my application or show up? Yeah, i just won't use them as a reference tbh.

Yeah, i need to check my contract. Thanks!
Reply 3
Ah phew!! I If i were to tell you what the argument was about, you would laugh your ass off. It wasn't even an argument but the manager obviously had a grudge and completely changed it all around. Anyways, that's great to hear. They have told m,e that the counseling is only for 6 months so i am guessing, should i decide to leave and then in the future like a year later, decide to go back to another primark, i am guessing the fact that i was on counseling hinder my application or show up? Yeah, i just won't use them as a reference tbh.

Yeah, i need to check my contract. Thanks!

leaving now , if you think the manager truly does have a grudge , is the best call. And then just apply to another primark. BUT i would suggest staying in the one you are in , and looking for another one. Theen when u do find a vacancy , talk to that manager and demand a transfer. They technically cant deny it if there is a vacancy and the other manager agrees :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by eXemp
leaving now , if you think the manager truly does have a grudge , is the best call. And then just apply to another primark. BUT i would suggest staying in the one you are in , and looking for another one. Theen when u do find a vacancy , talk to that manager and demand a transfer. They technically cant deny it if there is a vacancy and the other manager agrees :wink:

Oh wow, i have always been told that i have to wait 6 months before i can even think about transferring. If what your saying is right, i may think consider it :smile: . Personally, i don't like it when an environment is tense, if you get what i mean? It just leads to hostility. I mean, i have been wanting to leave for quite some time now. And i have an interview at another job. If i don't put primark down as a reference, my the whole of issues regarding me receiving counseling won't appear to my employer, right?

I just wanna keep the primark window open as you never know what will happen in the future, whether i may be short of cash in the future and need a job badly. I always want that window to be open so that i can always apply for a job there. i have met people who have left primark stores 3 or 4 times and got new jobs (years later) at other primark branches. That's why i was wondering whether the fact that i recieved/recieveing counselling will hinder or have an effect of getting a job at primark, years later from now
Reply 5
Oh wow, i have always been told that i have to wait 6 months before i can even think about transferring. If what your saying is right, i may think consider it :smile: . Personally, i don't like it when an environment is tense, if you get what i mean? It just leads to hostility. I mean, i have been wanting to leave for quite some time now. And i have an interview at another job. If i don't put primark down as a reference, my the whole of issues regarding me receiving counseling won't appear to my employer, right?

I just wanna keep the primark window open as you never know what will happen in the future, whether i may be short of cash in the future and need a job badly. I always want that window to be open so that i can always apply for a job there. i have met people who have left primark stores 3 or 4 times and got new jobs (years later) at other primark branches. That's why i was wondering whether the fact that i recieved/recieveing counselling will hinder or have an effect of getting a job at primark, years later from now

yh . if you dont put primark down as a reference it will make NO different to your application (in fact saying youve worked in retail will improve it :wink: )

I know what you mean. I did what i said when my old manager just used to pick on me cuz i was the "new kid". Havent looked back since :smile:

Counselling is only for THAT branch. So if you left and chose to go back there again (would be crazy tbh xD ) then why will say you were in counselling. But in other branches it wont matter.
Reply 6
Original post by eXemp
yh . if you dont put primark down as a reference it will make NO different to your application (in fact saying youve worked in retail will improve it :wink: )

I know what you mean. I did what i said when my old manager just used to pick on me cuz i was the "new kid". Havent looked back since :smile:

Counselling is only for THAT branch. So if you left and chose to go back there again (would be crazy tbh xD ) then why will say you were in counselling. But in other branches it wont matter.

Trust me, mate! I won't be going back to that branch. I and others think that the manager may have a personal grudge with me. I mean, at first i originally thought it was because i was the "new kid" but there were like 5 others who joined the same time as me and like with them, she has kinda become relaxed with them. However, i was the only person she would take out her anger on.It got to the point where all my fellow colleagues began to suspect that something must be up. It just wasn't right.

So yesterday, at work she must have asked me to do something and i totally didn't hear as the room was very so i asked her to repeat it and she took as me being rude and showing bad or aggressive bad body language. I couldn't believe what i was hearing. All, i did was ask her to repeat herself as i couldn't hear her. So she put me on counseling and last night at work, i had my review with her. She then made up this complete BS excuse that i didn't get along with all the other managers and supervisors and was showing all of them bad body language and giving them negative vibes. Which was complete BS as i actually get along with all the other superviors and joke around with them. Like i am cool with them. And the only manager there is her. So she completely was making up false claims in order to push me out of there, simply because she was still upset over the "argument" from the previous day. So she pretty much hinted that i am going to fail my probation and that i will be receiving a meeting in the next two weeks or so.

The thing is, that's it's cool caus i was planning to resign before they kick me out so that, i can always apply for a job at primark at other stores in the future, should i ever need a job (and if i am desperate haha) . Because if i let them sack me, i am guessing it will be difficult for me to apply to any other primark in the future, however if i resign, it won't be a problem if i decide to apply to work at primark in the future. It's a sad world we live in, huh lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending