The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-Watt Applicants 2014

Hey! Anyone applying to Heriot-Watt this year?

Im applying for Actuarial Science...
:tongue:

Scroll to see replies

I am applying for Chemical Engineering :smile:
Wish Heriot Watt had it's own one of the applican'ts page in the articles :frown:
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by SirVeillance
I am applying for Chemical Engineering :smile:
Wish Heriot Watt had it's own one of the applican'ts page in the articles :frown:

Me too:frown: did u visit the open day? I actually like fell in love with it when i visited:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mjj22
Me too:frown: did u visit the open day? I actually like fell in love with it when i visited:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do we go about getting one of those set up?
Yeah it was brilliant. Facilities for chemical engineering looked good.
I've loved every single university I have been to see!:smile:
Reply 4
How do we go about getting one of those set up?
Yeah it was brilliant. Facilities for chemical engineering looked good.
I've loved every single university I have been to see!:smile:

Not sure maybe talking to one of the mods/leaders, whatever they are called...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I've applied for Maths ^_^ I'll try set one up, although it wont be fancy. For future reference: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Help:Write_a_new_page

We should be using the Heriot-Watt sub-forum really though for threads like this :tongue:

EDIT : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Heriot-Watt_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2014_Entry#Applicants there we are.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by The Shanus
I've applied for Maths ^_^ I'll try set one up, although it wont be fancy. For future reference: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Help:Write_a_new_page

We should be using the Heriot-Watt sub-forum really though for threads like this :tongue:

EDIT : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Heriot-Watt_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2014_Entry#Applicants there we are.

I was gonna apply for Maths because i really love it ten i saw they are the only ones that do Actuarial and am actually interested in it so yep Actuarial Science for me:smile:) did u go to the open day? And ohhh thanks!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by mjj22
I was gonna apply for Maths because i really love it ten i saw they are the only ones that do Actuarial and am actually interested in it so yep Actuarial Science for me:smile:) did u go to the open day? And ohhh thanks!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't because I live outside the UK now, but I visited by myself and had a tour by a lovely elderly man, and it looked great :biggrin: at the moment it's joint for my insurance choice, have to see if I'm going to get offers from the scarier unis, and if they all reject me then it will defo be my insurance :L

I really wouldn't mind going though, and the idea of living in Scotland is really appealing because it's somewhere new!

Actuarial? Is that like finance and stuff? I glanced briefly at it i think but I'm not really interested at working for money, research and postgraduate study is where my interest lies at the moment ^^
It's a poor life I'm going to lead hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying from outside of Scotland too. It's not so nerve racking being that my Dad is from Scotland :smile: Looked good when I went.. Just really hope they make me an offer. I should be applying in the next week or so, so I'll post on the stalking page thing when I have done so :biggrin:
Reply 9
I didn't because I live outside the UK now, but I visited by myself and had a tour by a lovely elderly man, and it looked great :biggrin: at the moment it's joint for my insurance choice, have to see if I'm going to get offers from the scarier unis, and if they all reject me then it will defo be my insurance :L

I really wouldn't mind going though, and the idea of living in Scotland is really appealing because it's somewhere new!

Actuarial? Is that like finance and stuff? I glanced briefly at it i think but I'm not really interested at working for money, research and postgraduate study is where my interest lies at the moment ^^
It's a poor life I'm going to lead hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaahhhh good stuff:smile:) i live in scotland but i want to study at HW its just amazing, beyond words:smile:)

Yahhh with like lOts of calculus,algebra etc, my favourites:smile:

I'm applying from outside of Scotland too. It's not so nerve racking being that my Dad is from Scotland :smile: Looked good when I went.. Just really hope they make me an offer. I should be applying in the next week or so, so I'll post on the stalking page thing when I have done so :biggrin:

Same, am really hoping i get an offer:smile:) loved ittt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please do! I'm lonely on there haha, feeling self conscious :colondollar: I have no ties to Scotland, just want to have some distance from family and have a "mountain" range nearby for skiing and stuff :biggrin:

Original post by mjj22
Aaahhhh good stuff:smile:) i live in scotland but i want to study at HW its just amazing, beyond words:smile:)

Yahhh with like lOts of calculus,algebra etc, my favourites:smile:

Same, am really hoping i get an offer:smile:) loved ittt

Oh, I never really looked into it :tongue: We can totally geek over it together if we both end up there :biggrin:
Please do! I'm lonely on there haha, feeling self conscious :colondollar: I have no ties to Scotland, just want to have some distance from family and have a "mountain" range nearby for skiing and stuff :biggrin:

Oh, I never really looked into it :tongue: We can totally geek over it together if we both end up there :biggrin:

Haha, you'll be fine! Pretty much all of the scottish people I have met are friendly, and I've met a fair few :smile: They have a lot of international students at HW too, so I'm sure that there'd be a lot of mixing going on :biggrin:

I don't think there's a lot of skiing done in the Scottish mountains, but lots of hiking I'm sure!
Haha, you'll be fine! Pretty much all of the scottish people I have met are friendly, and I've met a fair few :smile: They have a lot of international students at HW too, so I'm sure that there'd be a lot of mixing going on :biggrin:

I don't think there's a lot of skiing done in the Scottish mountains, but lots of hiking I'm sure!

So long as the accents aren't too heavy. The cab drivers that took me to HW and St Andrews from my hotel were so incomprehensible, I have no idea what they said, and yet still there wasn't a break in conversation. I have a few scottish friends, none of them have really thick accents though :L

I'm really quite English, so that doesn't bother me much, all the same planet, people aren't too different across the globe hahah.

Nooo, there are! Well, at glenshee, I did a bit of research :tongue: http://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/
Hiking isn't much my thing, exploring is, but walking for the sake of walking less so ahah. I just wanted to be able to go skiing more than once a year for that one trip to a country with mountains ._. Regardless of how small it is!
So long as the accents aren't too heavy. The cab drivers that took me to HW and St Andrews from my hotel were so incomprehensible, I have no idea what they said, and yet still there wasn't a break in conversation. I have a few scottish friends, none of them have really thick accents though :L

I'm really quite English, so that doesn't bother me much, all the same planet, people aren't too different across the globe hahah.

Nooo, there are! Well, at glenshee, I did a bit of research :tongue: http://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/
Hiking isn't much my thing, exploring is, but walking for the sake of walking less so ahah. I just wanted to be able to go skiing more than once a year for that one trip to a country with mountains ._. Regardless of how small it is!

Haha, well the accent varies depending upon where you go! The borders accent isn't very strong, but then it gradually gets stronger towards Edinburgh, then from Glasgow, where my dad is from, it is crazy strong and very hard to understand!

Oh wow, I didn't know that! :smile: I did DofE so I've come to like hiking haha.
Reply 14

Haha:smile: Plan brooo:wink:

Ive lived here 6years and i still dont get the slang and accent sometimes haha
Reply 15
Haha, well the accent varies depending upon where you go! The borders accent isn't very strong, but then it gradually gets stronger towards Edinburgh, then from Glasgow, where my dad is from, it is crazy strong and very hard to understand!

Oh wow, I didn't know that! :smile: I did DofE so I've come to like hiking haha.

I live in Glasgow, haha the accent is VERY strong haha
Original post by mjj22
I live in Glasgow, haha the accent is VERY strong haha

It is, but my dad is actually from just outside Glasgow (Airdrie), so I've gotten used to the accent a lot. Travelling up for the football and watching Rab C. Nesbitt a lot had a lot to do with it too :wink:
Reply 17
It is, but my dad is actually from just outside Glasgow (Airdrie), so I've gotten used to the accent a lot. Travelling up for the football and watching Rab C. Nesbitt a lot had a lot to do with it too :wink:

Aaaahhh cool! haha im still not used to it. I sometimes still dont get it.
So where does HW fall for you guys in choice? From first to 5th :tongue:

It's joint last for me, although my top 3 are really competitive (Cambridge, Warwick, Durham) so if I get offers from more than one, one will be my firm and either HW or York will be my insurance ^^ although HW offer is likely to be ABB whereas the offer I have from York is AAA, so it'll take some thought!

I wanna live in Scotland but York is a better uni all-round (just supposedly not for my course) and my brother and his best friend went there this year so I don't know ._. Hopefully I get rejected from all 3 of my favourite and then my only options will be HW and York ahah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
So where does HW fall for you guys in choice? From first to 5th :tongue:

It's joint last for me, although my top 3 are really competitive (Cambridge, Warwick, Durham) so if I get offers from more than one, one will be my firm and either HW or York will be my insurance ^^ although HW offer is likely to be ABB whereas the offer I have from York is AAA, so it'll take some thought!

I wanna live in Scotland but York is a better uni all-round (just supposedly not for my course) and my brother and his best friend went there this year so I don't know ._. Hopefully I get rejected from all 3 of my favourite and then my only options will be HW and York ahah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lool!! HW is my 1st because its the only one in Scotland that does Actuarial Science, its got a.brilliants maths department. 2nd in Scotland and 9th in the UK and its not far off from home, only about an hr train ride so i can always visit home.:smile:) I defos know my decision will be HW or St A though:wink:) ohhhh am also applying to Warwick:smile:) HW, St A, Warwick, Edinburgh&Aberdeen:smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply