The Student Room Group

Extended Project Qualification

Hi guys,
I'm hoping to do medicine and I'm doing EPQ this year.
I wanna do my EPQ on sleep or on one of the diseases...
Or anything medical related really..
But, thing is, I CANNOT come up with a nice question as my title.

What are the effects of lack of sleep? / Can lack of sleep lead to death??
ARGHH, I really dunno.
Help me out here, guys...
ANYONE? PLEASE.. I'm reallly stuck.

Geniuses, help me out! :confused:
Let's link it to real world events. Why not do "Is sleep deprivation torture?" For the majority of the essay you can explore the effects of sleep and being deprived of it, and also use this to talk about the ethics of forcible sleep deprivation, making your essay unique and interesting.
Is sleep something that really interests you? I would love to do an EPQ next year. Did you chose it at the beginning of Year 12? Sorry for the questions :redface:
Reply 3
I am doing EPQ too but my question is more sociology and psychology based if I have learnt anything when picking a question is that you must make sure that there is sufficient INFORMATION available beforehand :smile:
Original post by Little Boots
Let's link it to real world events. Why not do "Is sleep deprivation torture?" For the majority of the essay you can explore the effects of sleep and being deprived of it, and also use this to talk about the ethics of forcible sleep deprivation, making your essay unique and interesting.

Omd, Little boots, THANK YOU. Idk y but I can't wait to do my epq on what u suggested. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. It's the thing I was looking for to do...
So, shud I argue for or against?? Or argue BOTH sides equally?? THANK YOU

So, u said, linkin it to real world events... like what?? Sorry. Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Is sleep something that really interests you? I would love to do an EPQ next year. Did you chose it at the beginning of Year 12? Sorry for the questions :redface:

Yes, sleep interests me bcoz it's a very important part of life, u know, too much of it is bad, too less is bad. During sleep, our brain is still working and all that, it's just interesting. U can choose to do EPQ in year 12. I didn't do it last year, so, I'm doing it right now, in year 13.
Original post by sundusA
I am doing EPQ too but my question is more sociology and psychology based if I have learnt anything when picking a question is that you must make sure that there is sufficient INFORMATION available beforehand :smile:

Yeah, that's the problem. I'm sure there r loads of books on sleep and its effects. :smile: Thank u for mentioning this.
Original post by GorgeousGlamour
Omd, Little boots, THANK YOU. Idk y but I can't wait to do my epq on what u suggested. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. It's the thing I was looking for to do...
So, shud I argue for or against?? Or argue BOTH sides equally?? THANK YOU

Really happy to help. Good luck on doing it - I did EPQ last year, and it was really fun, I enjoyed it loads.
I would recommend arguing both sides but ultimately I think because part of your essay will be about why humans need sleep you will have to conclude that sleep deprivation is torture because we need it to function.
You can always PM if you have any questions about the EPQ process, I got an A when I did it so I'm well versed.
Really happy to help. Good luck on doing it - I did EPQ last year, and it was really fun, I enjoyed it loads.
I would recommend arguing both sides but ultimately I think because part of your essay will be about why humans need sleep you will have to conclude that sleep deprivation is torture because we need it to function.
You can always PM if you have any questions about the EPQ process, I got an A when I did it so I'm well versed.

Oh right, wow, u got an A! That's amazing! I bet u put in a lot of time and effort into it.? Just wondering.. how exactly can I argue the other way? I wanna argue both sides and then, conclude by agreeing that its torture. But, how do I argue the other way, that sleep deprivation is not torture? Can I even do that??
THANK YOU :smile:
Oh right, wow, u got an A! That's amazing! I bet u put in a lot of time and effort into it.? Just wondering.. how exactly can I argue the other way? I wanna argue both sides and then, conclude by agreeing that its torture. But, how do I argue the other way, that sleep deprivation is not torture? Can I even do that??
THANK YOU :smile:

I'm not totally sure on this, as I don't know much about sleep and only a little bit about torture. But I would suggest perhaps arguing that it is not torture because you're preventing a function i.e. sleep rather than inflicting something i.e. beating someone up.

Edit: And yeah, I worked pretty hard, but honestly an A is pretty attainable. The most important thing is to be interested in your subject - which you are!
I'm not totally sure on this, as I don't know much about sleep and only a little bit about torture. But I would suggest perhaps arguing that it is not torture because you're preventing a function i.e. sleep rather than inflicting something i.e. beating someone up.

Edit: And yeah, I worked pretty hard, but honestly an A is pretty attainable. The most important thing is to be interested in your subject - which you are!

Okk, I see. I'll argue it that way then. Did u agrue BOTH ways equally for ur epq or did u argue on way??
Okk, I see. I'll argue it that way then. Did u agrue BOTH ways equally for ur epq or did u argue on way??

I argued both ways equally on mine, personally.
alright thanks. I dont think I'll b able to argue equally on this topic tho :/ owhh, I really cba to find another title !! -.-
alright thanks. I dont think I'll b able to argue equally on this topic tho :/ owhh, I really cba to find another title !! -.-

hey there, wondering how your epq went

Quick Reply

Latest