is it possible to study gcse physics on it own?? Watch

captain123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Before anyone asks no i am not considering doing this but i was just wondering is it possible to study gcse physics on its own as a qualification without studying biology and chemistry with it as a private candidate????Because some schools offer it as a double award which means you have to study all sciences.
placenta medicae talpae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you are a private candidate who is beyond school age, yes it is possible.

If however you are in full time secondary education and are under 18, then AFAIK you have to study each of the 'three sciences' to get 1 ('single award'), 2 ('double award') or 3 ('separate sciences') GCSE's.
Though I think I heard that the government might have got rid of the single award option: can anyone confirm?
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did IGCSE physics (edexcel maybe) which was just 1 exam for the qualification, I think you could also study just the 3 physics modules for AQA etc. I did the 3 modules for AQA bio and chem and on my exam certificates it just say Biology, and Chemistry so if you just did the 3 for physics you would get a physics GCSE. Hope that helps.
x__justmyluck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
If you are a private candidate who is beyond school age, yes it is possible.

If however you are in full time secondary education and are under 18, then AFAIK you have to study each of the 'three sciences' to get 1 ('single award'), 2 ('double award') or 3 ('separate sciences') GCSE's.
Though I think I heard that the government might have got rid of the single award option: can anyone confirm?
I don't think this is true as I didn't do a modular physics GCSE so it could be taken on it's own.
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by x__justmyluck)
I don't think this is true as I didn't do a modular physics GCSE so it could be taken on it's own.
I did IGCSE physics (edexcel maybe) which was just 1 exam for the qualification, I think you could also study just the 3 physics modules for AQA etc. I did the 3 modules for AQA bio and chem and on my exam certificates it just say Biology, and Chemistry so if you just did the 3 for physics you would get a physics GCSE. Hope that helps.
Yeah, the thing is that it is possible for people who have already left school to do whichever modules they wish and e.g. just do a GCSE in physics.

However, for those in full time secondary education, the government requires them to study all 3 sciences, though not necessarily to do a full GCSE in each (e.g. you can combine all 3 in just 1 GCSE, named the 'single award').
captain123
Rep:
?
Say if this guy wasnt capable enough of doing gcse double award science and had to study btec science in school, can he study gcse physics on its own once he has finished his gcse's???? (dont ask me why would they do that xD ). The reason being was because he was good at maths, enjoyed physics, but wasnt good at the other two sciences which got him down to btec science overall.
x__justmyluck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes as a private candidate you could just do a gsce in physics.
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ojusrane)
Say if this guy wasnt capable enough of doing gcse double award science and had to study btec science in school, can he study gcse physics on its own once he has finished his gcse's???? (dont ask me why would they do that xD ). The reason being was because he was good at maths, enjoyed physics, but wasnt good at the other two sciences which got him down to btec science overall.
I can't find a reason why not!
You can definitely get through school with just the BTEC in science.
And you can definitely study just GCSE Physics in 'adult education' or whatever it's called these days, without doing any of the other science GCSE's
captain123
Rep:
?
I can't find a reason why not!
You can definitely get through school with just the BTEC in science.
And you can definitely study just GCSE Physics in 'adult education' or whatever it's called these days, without doing any of the other science GCSE's
Yes as a private candidate you could just do a gsce in physics.
Ok i heard if you are studying single award the highest grade you can get is a C, is this true??? So if this guy just wanted to study gcse physics on its own, would that mean the highest grade he can get is a C??

Posted from TSR Mobile
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok i heard if you are studying single award the highest grade you can get is a C, is this true??? So if this guy just wanted to study gcse physics on its own, would that mean the highest grade he can get is a C??
This is true for 'foundation' tier GCSE's, but in 'higher' tier GCSE's up to A* is available

"For candidates entered for the Foundation Tier, grades C–G are available; for candidates entered for the Higher Tier, A*–D are available."
Source: AQA's 2013 specification for 'Science A' available at http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4405-W-SP.PDF
sophiamarni
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
im doing igcse biology and im in year 12 doing alevels also but im doing the biology at home it counts for two gcses as it is a double award im self teaching myself as thats what you do at school my science teacher was no help when i was doing my gcse in science ( single ) but i want a double gcse it can be done it bothers me that i have to pay for my exam which is £80
captain123
Rep:
?
This is true for 'foundation' tier GCSE's, but in 'higher' tier GCSE's up to A* is available

"For candidates entered for the Foundation Tier, grades C–G are available; for candidates entered for the Higher Tier, A*–D are available."
Source: AQA's 2013 specification for 'Science A' available at http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4405-W-SP.PDF
Did you answer my question??? I asked is it impossible to get an A grade if you doing GCSE Physics on its own as a SINGLE AWARD as a private candidate

Posted from TSR Mobile
x__justmyluck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you answer my question??? I asked is it impossible to get an A grade if you doing GCSE Physics on its own as a SINGLE AWARD as a private candidate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes you can, I got an A* in physics gcse, it wasn't modular so there as no single award/double award option. Just a gcse in physics.
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, I did answer your question.
If you are doing the Higher GCSE, then yes it is possible.
If you are doing the Foundation GCSE, then no it is not possible.
captain123
Rep:
?
Yes, I did answer your question.
If you are doing the Higher GCSE, then yes it is possible.
If you are doing the Foundation GCSE, then no it is not possible.

Please don't use 'all caps' again: it is against forum rules and it comes across that you are shouting at me.
I apologies if this is true, sorry
captain123
Rep:
?
Yes you can, I got an A* in physics gcse, it wasn't modular so there as no single award/double award option. Just a gcse in physics.
Out of interest what exam board was that?
x__justmyluck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Out of interest what exam board was that?
Edexcel
captain123
Rep:
?
Edexcel
Which exam board is the best for gcse physics?
x__justmyluck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I couldn't really say, AQA is probably the most popular but that'll be because it's modular so you can do the double/triple thing. The edexcel one I did didn't require any practical assessments so would be easier to sit as a private candidate as you wouldn't have to arrange to do those at a test centre which can be expensive.
captain123
Rep:
?
I couldn't really say, AQA is probably the most popular but that'll be because it's modular so you can do the double/triple thing. The edexcel one I did didn't require any practical assessments so would be easier to sit as a private candidate as you wouldn't have to arrange to do those at a test centre which can be expensive.
Any idea about CCEA?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (300)
15.11%
The paper was reasonable (1099)
55.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (431)
21.71%
It was TERRIBLE (155)
7.81%

Watched Threads