The Student Room Group

Higher Chemistry 2013-2014

Everyone on here seems to be doing chemistry so its about time we got a thread about it :biggrin:

So, what you guys aiming for?
Are you enjoying it?
What part of the course are you at?

Chemistry joke: what do you do to a dead scientist? You barium :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ugh Chemistry...

Aiming for at least a B, but I'm afraid it might be a C :frown:

We're at Bonding just now, but I could not tell you much about it...confuses me...
Subbing :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jackamakka
Ugh Chemistry...

Aiming for at least a B, but I'm afraid it might be a C :frown:

We're at Bonding just now, but I could not tell you much about it...confuses me...

What confuses you about it? Hopefully people can help you on this thread :tongue:
I didnt get bonding either, but I copied out the notes like 5 times and now I can remember it all.. so you could do that
Aiming for an A, hopefully :smile:
So far, but I think I broke my friend during excess calculations, so he'll kill me sometime soon.
And apart from the fact that I always arrive 5 minutes into the period of Friday the teacher doesn't hate me...yet.
We've just finished Unit 1 so the NAB is set for just after the October holiday. Now we'll be doing revision stuff :smile:
Aiming for an A.

Loving Chemistry so far, and genuinely finding it easier than Int 2. It's just so interesting and probably my favourite subject right now ! We did Unit 2 first and it was great. Got an A in both my A/B Interim Tests and just sat the NAB last week and got 28/30.

Here's hoping I can help people out when I can and get help when I need it lol.
Reply 6
Woops i never even said anything about me :tongue:

Well im aiming for an A.
Its by far the most interesting of my subjects because i find it very logical, therefore i think it is waaay easier than the other sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I loved Int 2 last year; I just had a really good understanding for it and walked out of the exam really confident that I was only unsure of a few answers(only lost 4 marks, although my friend only lost two!).

At the start of higher I didn't really enjoy it as much. I think maybe because reaction rates and enthalpy aren't exactly 'fun' topics so I was just uninterested in it so I didn't really study for the first few tests. I actually really like the theory of chemistry, so patterns in the periodic table was brilliant and even if you don't remember it you can work it out quite easily which is good.

I wouldn't say its the easiest science- higher biology is just remembering stuff so far, and higher physics has been really easy too- but it's definitely a lot of fun.

We've just got about half of the topic on The Mole to go and then we'll be finished Unit 1, although we won't have the NAB for a bit because the teachers like the classes to be sitting the NAB at the same time to discourage cheating so we don't have it until the end of october/start of november.

Definitely aiming for an A; don't think my teacher would be too happy with anything less...
Reply 8
Absolutely hating Chemistry, it's definitely my worst subject right now. I've got two different teachers and it's really complicating things sooooo much...

If things keep going the way they are I'll seriously be pleased with any award. The head of the Science Department told me to aim for at least a B since I got a 1 at standard grade but I think that's being pretty optimistic. It's not even that I don't understand the concepts or anything like that. It's when I've got a question to do myself that I struggle, but apparently that part comes with practice. It's just kind of soul destroying right now :frown:

Doing a mini assessment after the October week so we'll see how badly that goes. Probably won't have any NABs for a little longer since we're doing two units at the same time with different teachers.
Reply 9
we just finished moles concentration volume titration crystalisation etc and so far its been just calculation etc and to my suprise i have been loving it and enjoying it more than e.g. biology which i thought i would enjoy more. aiming for an A and will do anything to get it
hope u all do as well aas you want and higher
good luck :wink:
Well i got a one at standard grade and want to be a doctor so I am aiming for an A. We just finished ipunit one before the holidays and I passed with 22/30 (18 being the pass mark) and passed the first midterm with a B (0.2 off an A grrrr) and failied the calculations one by half a mark, but bpmy target grade is still an A. I dont mind it i guess its one of the easier sciences but its physics i am struggling with now!
Reply 11
Original post by WannBeDoctor
Well i got a one at standard grade and want to be a doctor so I am aiming for an A. We just finished ipunit one before the holidays and I passed with 22/30 (18 being the pass mark) and passed the first midterm with a B (0.2 off an A grrrr) and failied the calculations one by half a mark, but bpmy target grade is still an A. I dont mind it i guess its one of the easier sciences but its physics i am struggling with now!

Wow, I never would of guessed :biggrin:!
Reply 12
Original post by GoldenOne
Absolutely hating Chemistry, it's definitely my worst subject right now. I've got two different teachers and it's really complicating things sooooo much...

If things keep going the way they are I'll seriously be pleased with any award. The head of the Science Department told me to aim for at least a B since I got a 1 at standard grade but I think that's being pretty optimistic. It's not even that I don't understand the concepts or anything like that. It's when I've got a question to do myself that I struggle, but apparently that part comes with practice. It's just kind of soul destroying right now :frown:

Doing a mini assessment after the October week so we'll see how badly that goes. Probably won't have any NABs for a little longer since we're doing two units at the same time with different teachers.

Woah, thats really stupid. I guess you will have much longer to revise as you will finish the course quicker so its not all bad :tongue:
My teacher said someone went from getting 15/40 in multichoice to 39/40 just by practicing loads of pastpapers since the questions are very similar, so dont worry!
Reply 13
Original post by WannBeDoctor

The other two units might end up being your thing, so you might get better marks in that? I don't really like unit 1 myself, but the hydrocarbon stuff really interests me and the exact same thing that happened to you happened to me in Int 2 at the start.

I'm actually finding physics the easiest of the 3? like chemistry is the hardest but i do best in it because I enjoy it. I think it might just be that most of what we've done in physics so far is repeated stuff from int 2 with stuff added on?
Reply 14
Original post by Pennyarcade
Woah, thats really stupid. I guess you will have much longer to revise as you will finish the course quicker so its not all bad :tongue:
My teacher said someone went from getting 15/40 in multichoice to 39/40 just by practicing loads of pastpapers since the questions are very similar, so dont worry!

Oh I know, the whole thing with the teachers is just a complete mess! I'm hoping things get better since Chemistry was one of my favourite subjects at standard grade. I'll just have to persevere with it and see what happens. I get the feeling I'll need the extra revision time at the end anyway! :colondollar:
Aiming for an A, but my teacher is known throughout the school for being pretty awful. I've picked up a copy of Salters Higher Chemistry on eBay and I'll be working through it so with a bit of graft an A isn't off the cards. Onto unit 2 now which I'm finding a hell of a lot better than unit 1, I actually kinda enjoy it. Hope everyone gets the grades they need!
Also, a bit more chemistry related humour :biggrin:
3PolarBearDissolves_.jpg
Reply 17
Original post by Shameless Plug
Also, a bit more chemistry related humour :biggrin:
3PolarBearDissolves_.jpg

Ohh I can trump that one:

What did the chemist say when he found two isotopes of helium?
HeHe :tongue:
Reply 18
Yaaas Chemistry!

Aiming, like it seems that most people on here are, for an A.
:redface:
I'm at moles myself. The calculations on a whole seem to be making much more sense this year, buts thats probably going to change if I hit a Titration-esqe question. But so far I suppose it's been interesting, though that has nothing to do with my teacher, whose method of teaching seems to come down to reading lines from a booklet that we HAVE IN FRONT OF US, them leaving us to our own devices.

Is it really supposed to be one of the hardest highers?
Reply 19
Original post by Memetics
Yaaas Chemistry!

Aiming, like it seems that most people on here are, for an A.
:redface:
I'm at moles myself. The calculations on a whole seem to be making much more sense this year, buts thats probably going to change if I hit a Titration-esqe question. But so far I suppose it's been interesting, though that has nothing to do with my teacher, whose method of teaching seems to come down to reading lines from a booklet that we HAVE IN FRONT OF US, them leaving us to our own devices.

Is it really supposed to be one of the hardest highers?

Difficulty of a subject is very subjective! Out of the sciences, most people say chemistry is the hardest, with biology the easiest and physics in between. I found physics harder chemistry personally but that's because I love chemistry and pick it up fairly quickly :colondollar:

Aim for an A1! :biggrin: If you get the right method of studying then you should get that A you're aiming for.
I had a really bad teacher for Higher English and no teacher for 2/3 of the Higher physics course :tongue: It's not a nice situation to be in especially if you have peers with good teachers. There are a lot of resources out there, some excellent free ones too!
I can give you a list of the ones I used if you would like? :h:

Quick Reply

Latest