The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone - i feel terrible asking this because i hate it when people ask for other people's answers but i do not understand CBT at all; I don't understand the stages , i don't understand the point , i don't understand why it's used and i just generally want it to go die as an intervention

therefore , i was wondering if anyone could help me understand? i would actually prefer it if you didn't give me your answer but just explained it , expanding on everything so that then i can condense it myself and understand it. i'm looking to use it as a psychological intervention in addictive behaviour (along with reinforcement) and as a psychological therapy in SZ.

SZ isn't so hard , because they've devoted half a page to it and if i bang my head a bit i'll probably get it , but for addictive behaviour the outline is just ****

fankoo , i'm such a rambler sorry
Reply 1181
To whomever shared that exemplar answers link,
my absolute gratitude. It was immensely helpful and I found that my essays are not that bad and there is still hope. :-)
Thank you
Reply 1182
Original post by hotliketea
Hi everyone - i feel terrible asking this because i hate it when people ask for other people's answers but i do not understand CBT at all; I don't understand the stages , i don't understand the point , i don't understand why it's used and i just generally want it to go die as an intervention

therefore , i was wondering if anyone could help me understand? i would actually prefer it if you didn't give me your answer but just explained it , expanding on everything so that then i can condense it myself and understand it. i'm looking to use it as a psychological intervention in addictive behaviour (along with reinforcement) and as a psychological therapy in SZ.

SZ isn't so hard , because they've devoted half a page to it and if i bang my head a bit i'll probably get it , but for addictive behaviour the outline is just ****

I can give it a shot in terms of general CBT as we covered it in health and social care as well, and for schizophrenia, but I don't do addiction so this probably won't be much help aha :smile:

The cognitive approach basically suggests that any abnormal behaviour is caused by the way we think. Therefore if we behave irrationally then this is because we think irrationally. This kind of links to the stuff we did in abnormality in AS, shown through Ellis's ABC model (Activating event, belief and consequence). Which basically suggests you think in a distorted way in terms of over generalisation and catastrophising. So say the event was you failed an exam, the belief was that you will now fail all your exams (over generalisation), and the consequence is you give up. (irrational behaviour)

The whole point of CBT is to change these irrational thoughts to prevent them from causing irrational behaviours. There are a number of different types of CBT (REBT, SIT etc) but the main process follows these stages:

> Assessment stage - therapist and client establish a relationship, therapist forms a treatment plan
> Cognitive stage - therapist works with the client to understand the reasoning behind these negative thoughts. Might discuss past evens or trauma which cause you to think in an irrational way and discuss ways to overcome this and change these thoughts
> Behaviour stage - after generating new patterns of thinking, you apply these to generating new behaviours.
> Learning stage - therapist encourages the client to take part in role play and applying these new learnt altered thoughts and behaviours to anxiety provoking situations
It's a very person-centered therapy so there's all that stuff about the therapist being reflective and the client having choice etc...

So in terms of schizophrenia, the client is encouraged to see their irrational interpretations of delusions and hallucinations as hypothesis rather than reality, and then challenge these perceptions to look for alternative explanations (i.e. change the way they think which will then change their behaviour, and reduce symptoms of sz)

It is quite a vague therapy to outline but I hope this kind of gives you a clearer understanding :smile: :smile:
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
x

Original post by lemonysnicketing
x

Thank you both so much! :smile: I really appreciate it.

I'm afraid I can't help specifically with SZ because I study depression, but I am studying addictive behaviour.

The aim of CBT is toreplace irrational or faulty thinking with rational thinking(then relate this with an example in schizophrenia/addictive behaviour). The purpose is to provide the client with coping skills for their abnormal behaviour should situations arise where they might be tempted to relapse or where they once showed irrational thought.

CBT as I've been taught it can be split into broad cogntive and behavioural components:

COGNITIVE - deals with the client's faulty thinking and helps to recognise this via diagrams such as the ABC model. This can also be done via direct questioning e.g. 'tell me what you think about...' So an example for addiction would be smoking. The therapist guides the client to acknowledge and challenge their irrational thoughts concerned with the addictive behaviour e.g. by challening the cognitive error of the 'gambler's fallacy.'

BEHAVIOURAL
- deals with 'reality testing' the client's beliefs. This can be done via role play or homework activities. It allows the client to examine the consequences of both their rational and irrational thinking and set new goals with the therapist to help achieve realistic thinking over time. So the therapist could ask the client as part of their homework to write down thoughts they have when engaging in the addictive behaviour and then think of opposing, rational views.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Also, thanks for the name of the testorone and sport study :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
(edited 10 years ago)
Is it true that we don't need to know about the legislations to prevent smoking? so that would only be doctors advice and workplace intervention coming under public health?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophie1994
Is it true that we don't need to know about the legislations to prevent smoking? so that would only be doctors advice and workplace intervention coming under public health?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well you could just remember the 2007 law to ban smoking in public spaces - but there are no specified workplace interventions as far as i know. for example , i know workplace and harm minimisation (as well as quitline)
Original post by lemonysnicketing
x

Original post by kited4
x

thank you guyss! as i like live on this thread it won't let me rep either of you :frown: "rate some other users before rating this user again" NO :unimpressed::bike:
also , really sorry for triple post , but this is a good link for anyone who's found - like me - that the book is a bit vague on psychoanalysis in schizophrenics

http://www.psychlotron.org.uk/resources/abnormal/A2_AQB_abnormal_schizophreniaPsyBehActivity.pdf
good study to use for research against CBT: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24385461 (Laws et al 2014)
Just looking over the depression unit now, and for the diagnostic criteria I've been taught the symptoms of depression from the DSM-IV. However, I've just realised that there is now a DSM-V (more recent). If asked in the exam will it be ok for me to write about the diagnostic criteria from the DSM-IV, or should I find out the criteria from the DSM-V?
Original post by SeventeenSeconds
Just looking over the depression unit now, and for the diagnostic criteria I've been taught the symptoms of depression from the DSM-IV. However, I've just realised that there is now a DSM-V (more recent). If asked in the exam will it be ok for me to write about the diagnostic criteria from the DSM-IV, or should I find out the criteria from the DSM-V?

You could still get the same number of marks, see this link: http://www.oxfordschoolblogs.co.uk/psychcompanion/blog/is-dsm-4-still-creditworthy-3967/
You could still get the same number of marks, see this link: http://www.oxfordschoolblogs.co.uk/psychcompanion/blog/is-dsm-4-still-creditworthy-3967/

Thank you :biggrin: That's reassuring!
Original post by SeventeenSeconds
Thank you :biggrin: That's reassuring!

no problem and :yep:

New criteria for Sz: http://caraflanagan.co.uk/new-dsm-criteria-for-schizophrenia-163.html
(edited 10 years ago)
well you could just remember the 2007 law to ban smoking in public spaces - but there are no specified workplace interventions as far as i know. for example , i know workplace and harm minimisation (as well as quitline)

I'm finding it very hard to talk about public health intervention because there isn't much to talk about apart from doctors advice. That's the only thing I have in my notes. :frown: I have also got the NIDA but unsure how to use it.. Any ideas?

Also, when talking about the effectiveness of public health intervention for 10 marks, what would you include to get top marks?

Sorry for all the questions but you seem to know your stuff :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
read an essay two or three times carefully then memorise a line or two each time once you memorised all of the essay, on an A4 paper write keywords you learnt for A01 and for A02 the names and findings (use (+) in front of the names to remember its a study to support and (-) for a study against) and for IDA the keywords e.g. deterministic, ethics.. then there's no point of going over the entire essay again you could use this paper to help recall exactly what you wrote in your essay.
Then get another essay and repeat.

Okay... I have written a couple essays still have loads to write and on top of that to learn... do you think I will have time to do so?? lmao I am freaking out rn:frown::confused:
Reply 1198
Original post by kited4
No problem :smile: I do schizophrenia so can help with some essay plans for that if needed

:biggrin:

oh thanks alot ! I really appreciate it :smile: So, can you please help me out with the issues surrounding the classification & diagnosis of SZ in terms of reliability & validity :smile: btw if u had to predict then what do u think will come for the relationships/SZ this year ?:P
Reply 1199

This new criteria, is it essential to include in one's notes?

Latest

Trending

Trending