The Student Room Group

Phsychology A Level Q's...

Hi, what does everybody think of the psychology course? I'm doing my gcse's and im planning to do maths, biology and chemistry a levels. For my 4th choice I am undecided between history and psychology. The career I am interested in going into is medicine so I wondered if psychology had any link to this (mental health and so forth). I read somewhere that it pairs well with psychology - is this true? What are you all planning to go into (career wise) and what have you chosen to do along with it for a-level? Lastly does psychology involve a lot of essay writing? I want my as choice to be something involving essay writing because I am aware you have to do a lot of this at university and I don't want to lose it as a skill. Thanks for any replies given!
Reply 1
Four weeks ago istarted my a-level i took 4 but dropped 1 so now i have psychology,history and philosophy and ethics. I chose history because its 4 best subject wanted by uni if someone wanted to do medicine. also a lot of essays and so does psychology involve a lot of essays.
Reply 2
Bump
Psychology is an essay based subject and some aspects do compliment biology. It depends what exam board you do as to how scientific it'll be but psychology does go better with your choices than history. Also as you're doing 3 facilitating subjects it doesn't really matter whether or not your 4th choice is facilitating. Although it depends what medical schools you want to apply to, I think a couple want you to have a contrasting subject but maybe ask in the medical forum which ones they are.

I did maths, biology and chemistry A levels :smile: and psychology at AS, (as well as F Maths and critical thinking) so feel free to ask any questions. I did consider medicine but after doing work experience I found out it wasn't for me. So now I'm at Oxford doing Experimental Psychology.
Reply 4
I'm not sure I've ever written an essay in Psychology and I'm in my second year (edexcel exam board).. However the exam itself does consist of some lengthier questions. :smile:

Psychology covers a wide range of topics. So there will be some overlap with Biology (looking at neurons, central nervous system and so on), but there is also a lot of other areas (such as looking at how we learn behaviours). From what I can tell it works well with Biology as a subject (although as I didn't take Biology, I couldn't tell you that from experience, only hearsay. But you'll apparently cover things such as MZ and DZ twins in both). There's not as much mental health in Psychology as people assume, but I believe there is still a very relevant link between the two. x

My subjects are Art, Psychology and Maths. With English Lit at AS. So not as science-y as the subjects I assume you're taking for medicine. However out of History and Psych, I'd definitely take Psych for medicine. I'm planning on pursuing Psychology at university and then go into a related career (which is currently undecided). So I really like the course. I know some people don't enjoy it though, so it's a matter of opinion really.

Hope that helps you a bit? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Pixie-Bee
I'm not sure I've ever written an essay in Psychology and I'm in my second year.. However the exam itself does consist of some lengthier questions. :smile:

Psychology covers a wide range of topics. So there will be some overlap with Biology (looking at neurons, central nervous system and so on), but there is also a lot of other areas (such as looking at how we learn behaviours). From what I can tell it works well with Biology as a subject (although as I didn't take Biology, I couldn't tell you that from experience, only hearsay. But you'll apparently cover things such as MZ and DZ twins in both). There's not as much mental health in Psychology as people assume, but I believe there is still a very relevant link between the two. x

My subjects are Art, Psychology and Maths. With English Lit at AS. So not as science-y as the subjects I assume you're taking for medicine. However out of History and Psych, I'd definitely take Psych for medicine. I'm planning on pursuing Psychology at university and then go into a related career (which is currently undecided). So I really like the course. I know some people don't enjoy it though, so it's a matter of opinion really.

Hope that helps you a bit? :biggrin:

hellooo :smile: i know that this is completely random, but i really need help, i am taking psychology at a2 level, and i don't know how to structure all essays and create a clear line of argument, i wont have a psychology teacher for 2 months so that means i need to try to understand the material by myself, if you can help me with this i will be so grateful!!! i know you will probably be so busy but any advice and help on this is appreciated. thank you :smile:
I would recommend Psychology to anyone. It's a highly interesting subject, and is relevant in every possible career path. Personally, I also did Theatre Studies and French for my A Levels, but the people in my class studied a complete mix of subjects.
In terms of the essay writing, it would be best to find out what exam board and syllabus you're on. I did AQA Psychology A, which has a lot of essay writing to it, though you're eased into it, and there's more of it in the second year (one exam consists entirely of three essays).

Original post by TheGameOfScience
hellooo :smile: i know that this is completely random, but i really need help, i am taking psychology at a2 level, and i don't know how to structure all essays and create a clear line of argument, i wont have a psychology teacher for 2 months so that means i need to try to understand the material by myself, if you can help me with this i will be so grateful!!! i know you will probably be so busy but any advice and help on this is appreciated. thank you :smile:

Is it just writing the essays you're struggling with, or understanding the subject too?
Original post by DizzyDotRocks
I would recommend Psychology to anyone. It's a highly interesting subject, and is relevant in every possible career path. Personally, I also did Theatre Studies and French for my A Levels, but the people in my class studied a complete mix of subjects.
In terms of the essay writing, it would be best to find out what exam board and syllabus you're on. I did AQA Psychology A, which has a lot of essay writing to it, though you're eased into it, and there's more of it in the second year (one exam consists entirely of three essays).

Is it just writing the essays you're struggling with, or understanding the subject too?

it is both to be honest :'( because isn't there a set essay structure which i can stick to and i really want to pass this year i really do but i feel that psychology is my weak point and it will hold me back

EDIT: i am doing the exact same exam board as you did, what topics did you do?
(edited 10 years ago)
I did Relationships, Gender and Aggression (I didn't have a choice, we were forced to do these, which annoyed me as I wanted to do Sleep! But that's another story xD) Having said that, if you're still choosing, I'd recommend these three as they tie in nicely together, and also tie in with the Media option in Unit 4.

Obviously I can help you with these topics if you're doing any the same, but the best thing you can do is research, research, research. Your text book is the best place to start, but look online and in other psychology books for other theories and experiments to support your essays.

Structuring your essays is fairly simple. Obviously start with an introduction just to establish the question, and end with a conclusion to sum up your research. Then, look at the marks for each question. I'll use an example from last January's paper: Outline and evaluate one theory of the formation of romantic relationships. (4 marks + 8 marks)
The first part (in this case, the 4 marks), is the amount of marks you can gain from describing the theory. The second part (in this case, 8 marks) needs to split in two again, and one half needs to be used on evaluation (using research to back up your argument, talking about validity, reliability and credibility, etc.), the other is about linking the topic to science. This last part is the bit I found most difficult. Basically, it's about how "scientific" an experiment or theory is, and the best way to learn what this means is to read the very last module in the text book. Using "ethics" is a pretty easy way to gain marks in this area - for instance, you could say something like, "The ethics of this experiment can be questioned however, as the participants were unaware of the true nature of the experiment", or "This experiment is ethically unsound due to the emotional distress caused for the participants." Or using the "sampling method" - such as, "Using an opportunistic sample group for this experiment may have been convenient and lowered overall costs, but means that the participants were from similar backgrounds, therefore bringing the validity of the experiment into question." There are lots of other things you'll find you can use once you've read the last module, but hopefully this makes it a little clearer about how to use that information :smile:
I did Relationships, Gender and Aggression (I didn't have a choice, we were forced to do these, which annoyed me as I wanted to do Sleep! But that's another story xD) Having said that, if you're still choosing, I'd recommend these three as they tie in nicely together, and also tie in with the Media option in Unit 4.

Obviously I can help you with these topics if you're doing any the same, but the best thing you can do is research, research, research. Your text book is the best place to start, but look online and in other psychology books for other theories and experiments to support your essays.

Structuring your essays is fairly simple. Obviously start with an introduction just to establish the question, and end with a conclusion to sum up your research. Then, look at the marks for each question. I'll use an example from last January's paper: Outline and evaluate one theory of the formation of romantic relationships. (4 marks + 8 marks)
The first part (in this case, the 4 marks), is the amount of marks you can gain from describing the theory. The second part (in this case, 8 marks) needs to split in two again, and one half needs to be used on evaluation (using research to back up your argument, talking about validity, reliability and credibility, etc.), the other is about linking the topic to science. This last part is the bit I found most difficult. Basically, it's about how "scientific" an experiment or theory is, and the best way to learn what this means is to read the very last module in the text book. Using "ethics" is a pretty easy way to gain marks in this area - for instance, you could say something like, "The ethics of this experiment can be questioned however, as the participants were unaware of the true nature of the experiment", or "This experiment is ethically unsound due to the emotional distress caused for the participants." Or using the "sampling method" - such as, "Using an opportunistic sample group for this experiment may have been convenient and lowered overall costs, but means that the participants were from similar backgrounds, therefore bringing the validity of the experiment into question." There are lots of other things you'll find you can use once you've read the last module, but hopefully this makes it a little clearer about how to use that information :smile:

woah thank you so much!!! that has made it a little clearer :biggrin: i am doing relationships, aggression and eating behavior and our teacher told us not to buy the textbook because its too lengthy :mad: my teacher is so bad and the worse part is i dont have a teacher till january, but thank you so much for offering to help :biggrin: can i inbox you some questions if its ok :colondollar:
Did you not get given a textbook?? :eek: that's really bad, I don't know any sixth forms where I'm from that didn't give you a psychology textbook :/ But please do buy one if they're not providing them, they're an absolute lifeline. I was given this one, which personally I found very easy to follow, and it had lots of information in it: http://tinyurl.com/nwknpgp
But our library also had this one, which I used a lot to find out about other theories and experiments: http://tinyurl.com/nrrtffs
CGP books are also usually very good, but I'll admit I didn't get one for Psychology as I didn't feel I needed it. Whichever one you get, search around for a cheaper, maybe used copy, first before splashing out that sort of money.
Did you not get given a textbook?? :eek: that's really bad, I don't know any sixth forms where I'm from that didn't give you a psychology textbook :/ But please do buy one if they're not providing them, they're an absolute lifeline. I was given this one, which personally I found very easy to follow, and it had lots of information in it: http://tinyurl.com/nwknpgp
But our library also had this one, which I used a lot to find out about other theories and experiments: http://tinyurl.com/nrrtffs
CGP books are also usually very good, but I'll admit I didn't get one for Psychology as I didn't feel I needed it. Whichever one you get, search around for a cheaper, maybe used copy, first before splashing out that sort of money.

yep my 6 form sucks... well actually my teacher sucks to be honest, she only photocopied information from the aqa textbook and thats it :frown: then she gives us essays, but thanks so much for the links! :biggrin: i'll definitely buy 1 although i am really liking how the first book sounds thanks xD
Reply 12
If anyone needs a great tutor for psychology look up sadia khan on gumtree under psychology tutors affordable and made me increase my grade
Original post by CallumS343
Hi, what does everybody think of the psychology course? I'm doing my gcse's and im planning to do maths, biology and chemistry a levels. For my 4th choice I am undecided between history and psychology. The career I am interested in going into is medicine so I wondered if psychology had any link to this (mental health and so forth). I read somewhere that it pairs well with psychology - is this true? What are you all planning to go into (career wise) and what have you chosen to do along with it for a-level? Lastly does psychology involve a lot of essay writing? I want my as choice to be something involving essay writing because I am aware you have to do a lot of this at university and I don't want to lose it as a skill. Thanks for any replies given!

Psychology may be relatively useful. Its likely that you will study some aspects of psychology in medicine anyway (like on memory, or stress). Its pretty useful, but the essay-writing you do in psychology (or at least in AQA ) is very formulaic and not very useful in real life. I wouldn't take psychology because it may fit well with medicine, I would pick either one based on what you think you will enjoy more.
Reply 14
Original post by CallumS343

I think psychology would go well with your other subjects, a lot of people in my class are also doing science subjects along with psychology. Psychology is an essay based subject, and there is a lot to learn but if your are good at essays then you should be fine. I do geography and english lang/lit along with psychology, i am doing geography at university and hope to do a career in geography in the future but psychology has given me a lot of skills that have helped me in other subjects
I chose it as a "filler" subject, because we had to choose one thing from each lesson block and psychology seemed the least boring. I think the others were maths, further maths (which of course I couldn't do as I hadn't taken maths), physics and art. Nothing again the other subjects of course, but I wasn't good enough at them and didn't find them interesting in the slightest. For me it was a good choice, and I ended up doing my degree in psychology!
Hey guys, is anybody doing CIE AS Psychology here? I have decided to study it on my own so if it's not too much too ask, which textbook do you study from? I understand that it is important to read up a lot, from a lot of books for this particular subject but is there a book(that covers everything in the CIE syllabus) that I could use as a general guide?
Psychology would probably be a good option to choose if you wanted to do medicine at uni and you do get to cover things such as mood disorders: including bipolar, unipolar and SAD, plus schizophrenia.

However, if you wanted to do history at A level then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to even if you wanted to study medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending