worldsmile8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So, I know it's kind of late to make a 2014 hopeful thread, but I couldn't find one for biovet sci and other relating degrees, so I thought I'd make one. If there's a preexisting thread please let me know.

I'll go ahead and introduce myself.
I'm an international applicant from the US, and am applying to couple of biovet sci courses and animal science.
I was originally planing to go into vet med and even got the grades and w/e but ultimately decided that I wanted to do more research than hands-on work, since my primary interest continued to be anthrozoology.

It'll be great to hear from anyone who's also applying to biovet sci.
jazzzygirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ME!!! **waves hands in the air**
Hi I'm applying to Harper Adams and Royal Veterinary College to do Biovet science
Im from Manchester. I'm also applying to Surrey, Liverpool, and Nottingham for Veterinary medicine.

Thanks for making a thread for us prospective biovets - weve needed one for a while haha
Meg94xx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi I'm meg from Birmingham (UK) and am applying for bioveterinary science at Lincoln, Surrey and Hartpury and have already received offers from all of them Can't wait to start Uni!
Andrew5879
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Got an offer from Surrey for Biovet Sci today ^^
Meg94xx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! congrats! Is Surrey your first choice?
Andrew5879
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope, honestly it was a course I would enjoy doing that I was 99.999% confident I'd get a place on - the rest I wasn't as confident in and I didn't want to risk 5/5 rejections :'(
First choice is vet med at nottingham, then zoology at sheffield (got an interview)

Leicester flat out rejected me for zoology
Meg94xx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good luck witht the rest of your choices!
What are you studying at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Andrew5879
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Btec L3 Ext Diploma - Animal Management, with AS Maths, ICT and Geology

You got any idea what you'll firm/insure?
Meg94xx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing the same BTEC
I can't decide between Surrey and Lincoln :/ I like how the work is assessed in Lincoln and I like the location and facilities in Surrey. I've already been to an open day for Surrey and im going to one in Lincoln at the end of the month so hopefully that'll make mind up
Andrew5879
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I decided between them from the module list - I liked the sound of Surrey's more so I picked it :')
Lincolns is a little less science-focused in the first year with behaviour etc, and those are the units I enjoyed less in the BTEC so far

I'm not actually sure whether il firm Surrey or Sheffield (zoology) any more though, assuming I have to make a choice between the two :P

Surrey's winning at the moment though because of the science elements - toxicology and pharmacology sound so amazing :')
Meg94xx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have to agree tbh, the modules do sound amazing and I really disliked behaviour in the BTEC (maybe I shouldn't have observed an egyptian tortoise for an hour haha). What college are you studying at, at the moment?
Andrew5879
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
South Essex College, Southend.

It's alright, not the best.
I'm the first person from my course to apply for vet sci apparently, and my chances are very slim, but that means there's still a chance so I went for it.

We went to a zoo for part of our behaviour thing, observed wolves and orangutans, which was alright, but the assignments themselves were awful :P

Maybe observing a tortoise wasn't the best thing you could have done, though I'm sure it was pretty easy -
32 minutes: No change.
43 minutes: No change.
Meg94xx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haha yeah it wasn't the best tbh but we had to observe a reptile from the colleges animal unit so it was tortoise, snake or bearded dragon they all did nothing haha
Would you rather do bioveterinary or zoology?
Andrew5879
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We had to do that, but I ended up with the snake (royal python). It also did absolutely nothing :P

Right now it's veterinary > bioveterinary > zoology, but given veterinary is a long shot il probably be going to surrey.

I wanna see how the interview at sheffield for zoology goes though, so i have as many options to choose from as possible
Meg94xx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That sounds good I originally wanted to do veterinary but my gcse's weren't good enough even though I'm predicted D*D*D* I was gonna do a gateway course but I didn't meet all the criteria. Be positive! You can get into the vet course
Andrew5879
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's preliminary one I'm applying to (only one i could apply for)
I accidentally wasted a slot by applying for the foundation one too and my dad told me after that he had made a mistake with the household income thingy and we might not qualify iunno :P

It's unlikely I'd get into that one anyway - 5 spaces for the whole country to apply to

Yeah, you're right, I'm still hopeful for the preliminary one though, it'd be literally the best thing to have ever happen in my life so far if I got in ^^
Andrew5879
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One of the things i like about surrey is it'd give me a lot of freedom this year though.

I'm predicted D*D*D*, and if I get over D*DD i qualify for a scholarship, and the offer is only DDM.

Means I don't have to stress as much this year if I don't get the vet one :P
Meg94xx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh no well at least you have a few back ups and the preliminary one (you never know, you could be one in five). Whens your zoology interview?
Andrew5879
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
March 20th

and there're 5 spaces on the one i probably never qualified for anyway, and 25 on the one i can legitimately apply for, so it's not the end of the world ^.^
Meg94xx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Let me know if you hear anything
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.73%
I don't have everything I need (259)
44.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed