The Student Room Group

Bioveterinary Science Hopefuls 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I will do :biggrin:
There's a questionnaire to fill out which i submitted today, but it's gonna be December/January before i hear from them apparently
Reply 21
What was the questionnaire like? Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 22
It was awful :')
Loads of questions asking you to talk about yourself :'(

Then a load of example scenarios with a scale of whether a particular action would be acceptable or unacceptable if that scenario happened.

This part of it is timed too - you get 30 mins to answer about 40-50 questions :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Oh my gosh that sounds awful D:
Haha foetus football...*cough* I mean that's terrible...playing with samples *cough*
Was it an online thing then?
Reply 24
Yeah, got a link emailed through to me.
I think some other places do similar for vet sci. ..Liverpool do around mid November I believe, and yeah I had to stifle laughter because I did that part of it in the college library and it was pretty silent :P

The idea of whacking around a pig foetus with a hockey stick though...who came up with that??
Surely not through actual events, I should hope :')
Reply 25
Ahaha maybe the uni found some students doing just that and thought "you know what? That would make an excellent questionnaire example for perspective students". It does make you question these places :biggrin:
Reply 26
makes me question whether going there is the best choice, if it's true :biggrin:

either way, as long as i dont end up being the one with the hockey stick im sure it'll be fine c:
Reply 27
Ahaha :biggrin:
What modules are you doing at the moment?
Reply 28
Aquatics (blergh), Nursing, Ecology, some project thingy where we pick some topics from a list and do a presentation on them, Genetics, Chemistry for bio, Biochemistry

After Christmas we'll be doing exotics and other stuff I think, how bout u?
Reply 29
Exotics health and husbandry, zoo animal health and husbandry and nutrition. After xmas I have farm animal management, training and breeding and genetics :smile:
Im guessing you dont like aquatics? Haha
Reply 30
It's literally learning about how to set up an aquarium :L haha

What's exotics like? Our tutor who'll take us for it said the assignments are a little harder than average
Reply 31
I'd say the exotics is the easiest module I'm doing at the moment, zoo animals on the other hand is ridiculous :/ Exotics is mainly practical assessed with one in class test on identifying exotic diseases and then the actual assignment work is quite easy :smile:
Reply 32
Sounds similar to aquatics then, though aquatics is incredibly dull..

Part of the distinction work was to name 20 types of fish or something silly :P

What stuff do you do for zoo animals?
Reply 33
That does sound rather dull :/ we went to dudley and chester zoo and we have to create health and feeding plans for penguins, tapirs and lemurs, create our own enclosures for lemurs and crocodiles and some other stuff I can't remember :tongue: Are you doing your work placement at a vets?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
I've got a few weeks schedules in 2014 at a vets, but at the moment I'm at a Dangerous Animals Sanctuary not too far from my house :biggrin:
It's pretty cool, but mostly deals in reptiles.
Snakes, caimen, bearded dragons, tortoises, savannah cats and a baby croc are currently there, but we've had emus and tegus too (the tegu we had was a horrible little thing, completely wild haha)
Reply 35
Haha :biggrin: that sounds awesome though, absolutely love savannah cats. Have you been there since the start of your course? I only managed to get a placement in March so I've still got like 50 more hours to do :tongue:
Reply 36
I've been there since March, was at a kennels before that.
It's only about 4 hours per week so I have about 40-50 left too :')
Reply 37
Ah thats good then :smile: I do 8 hours a week at the National Sea Life centre in Birmingham. If you went into the zoo industry, what animals would you most like to work with?
Reply 38
Big cats would be awesome, as long as I don't get mauled :P
If not then penguins, or something I'm safe getting in the enclosure with to clean/feed etc

If the zoo had a breeding programme I would be crying though because I've always wanted to feed a baby big cat :') (so manly >>)
Reply 39
That's exactly what I would want to do to! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending