The Student Room Group

What scores to include for American student?

I am applying to Saint Andrews, Edinburgh, KCL, and maybe York in a few weeks when I receive my most recent SAT scores. I am still a bit confused as to what scores I should send as all the schools say they only require 1 type of test (SAT, SAT Subject, AP etc) yet that is the minimum. I have 3 Aps at 5 and 2 at 4, a 1940 SAT (hopefully will be improved by most recent sitting) and 720 on History SAT Subject and 640 on World History SAT subject.

I will most likely send my APs, but I am not sure which SATs I should send. I do not want the admissions people to see one of my lower scores that may put me at a disadvantage...
Superscore it, or e-mail Admissions and ask them. Also, I'd recommend applying to Oxbridge with those grades, if you manage to improve in the SAT. 3 APs at 5 plus 2 at 4 is exceptional - I am very jealous!
Your UCAS application MUST contain *all* of your qualifications and results

Just put em all in - each university will see the same set of information and can pick out the results relevant to them.

Leaving out qualifications is in effect fraud (you're asked to declare that you've included them all) - universities care much more about that than they do about the odd score that's a bit lower.
(edited 10 years ago)
So a couple not so bad scores won't bring down my application?
Original post by rumbles_ubamba
So a couple not so bad scores won't bring down my application?

So long as you have enough good scores in relevant subjects, you'll be fine.

You don't have a lot of choice in the matter anyway tbh.
So let's say I have a 1940 and Saint Andrews requires a 1950+ on the SAT, they'll just ignore that and instead look at my APs and Subject scores?
So let's say I have a 1940 and Saint Andrews requires a 1950+ on the SAT, they'll just ignore that and instead look at my APs and Subject scores?

If they require a 1950 OR AP & subject scores, then it should be fine.

If they say that they want 1950 regardless of anything that you have, then they may reject you for that, but in that instance not putting down your score would be worse anyway.
Original post by Origami Bullets
If they require a 1950 OR AP & subject scores, then it should be fine.

If they say that they want 1950 regardless of anything that you have, then they may reject you for that, but in that instance not putting down your score would be worse anyway.

They say they require a minimum of 5s at least 2 APs, 700+ on SAT Subject, and 1950+ on SAT. So I basically meet half of those requirements anyway. Hopefully I'll be fine... :K:
Also, when is the latest you can decide which uni you want to go to? I am applying to some American universities and won't hear back from them until April and I know the British universities require you to start the accommodation process as soon as you accept their offer.
Also, when is the latest you can decide which uni you want to go to? I am applying to some American universities and won't hear back from them until April and I know the British universities require you to start the accommodation process as soon as you accept their offer.

It depends on when the last Uni gets back to you http://www.ucas.com/apply/key-dates?field_key_date_grouping_tid=All&page=1#tab-0

However, in practice you can pull out at any point prior to enrolment, though accommodation can be a bit more tricky - just don't sign any contracts or pay any deposits until you're 100% certain (but remember that starting the accommodation application process isn't the same as signing a contract)
It says in the link " (5 June 2014) If you receive all your uni/college decisions by 8 May you must reply to any offers by this date (unless you applied in Extra) or they’ll be declined". So does that mean I basically have until next June to commit to a university and start the accomodation process?
It says in the link " (5 June 2014) If you receive all your uni/college decisions by 8 May you must reply to any offers by this date (unless you applied in Extra) or they’ll be declined". So does that mean I basically have until next June to commit to a university and start the accomodation process?

Yes, but it should be remembered that not all unis have enough accommodation to go round, and operate on a first come first served basis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending