Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in a bit of a sticky situation at the moment, having just found out that the University of Sheffield do the course I want. Sheffield is my hometown, and I love it so much, but am worried that if I stay here I:
    A) won't have a proper uni experience
    B) won't be forced to make new friends as if I was in a new city
    C) that I'll wish I went somewhere else and tried something new
    i'd still move into halls and all that and not associate with my parents as much like a normal student.
    The problem is; Sheff has always had these schemes that I've gone to aimed at trying to keep students in the city and at open days and stuff, and I genuinely love this place. Ideally, I wanted somewhere big, exciting yet close enough to home. But the only place I've found after extensive searching that meets the criteria for my course and above criteria is Nottingham, which is a little smaller than Sheffield but still great. I'd also get to keep my amazing job (can't say where it is) but it's amazing, not fantastic pay but still awesome.
    My choices so far were:
    Birmingham
    Nottingham
    Queen Mary, London
    Leeds Met
    Nottingham Trent
    and yeah, I've looked at all unis which fit my criteria and these are what I've come up with. I'm not interested in Manchester, Liverpool or Newcastle and am really only asking whether staying in Sheff will ruin the uni experience?
    any opinions would be welcomed either from past experience or whatever..
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    yolo, go as far away as pos

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the exact opposite situation. I wish my local uni was doing the course I want but they don't do it so I have to move out. It would have saved me so much money. You wouldn't be the only person living at home, and just because you would be it doesn't mean you wouldn't make friends. You could offer to show people the city, take them to all the best clubs. And most people move out in their second year anyway so it's not like you'd be living at home forever.

ReputationRep:
    Go with your hunch.

ReputationRep:
    I stayed at home for the course I wanted to do and I would have moved out but my university wouldn't allow me to move into halls as I lived so close by. I definitely feel I missed out on the Uni experience because I didn't live in halls. I don't mind the fact I stayed in my home town because I love it here. I stayed at home (with my parents) for my first and second year and moved into a student house this year but it definitely hindered making friends. You just have to go with your gut feeling.. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I have friends who have stayed in their hometown for uni, but moved into halls. They've all lived the full "uni lifestyle" and made friends just like anyone else.

The only thing to check is whether or not Sheffield will actually let you stay in halls if you live nearby - some unis don't have enough halls, so prioritise those coming from further away.

ReputationRep:
    I'd move away, but that's because my home town is a craphole.

ReputationRep:
    In your shoes the job that you can remain in would be the clincher for me, as finding another may not be easy.

ReputationRep:
    I was in exactly the same position as you, last year, and I also live in sheffield. In the end I decided to stay at home and so far to be honest, I hate uni. I didn't make the effort to make friends, and that was made harder by the fact people are a lot different to me. That may be down to the fact I don't drink or club or do anything of the sort, so I'm not really seen as the most sociable. I suppose it really depends on your situation, I guess. Personally, I'm glad I've stayed at home and had my family and friends as a support network because I think I would've been in the same situation regardless. I think you just have to go with your gut with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go with your heart, not your head.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you go into halls you should have the full experience, do check Sheffield can actually guarantee you a hall though first.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou everyone, i'm applying to sheff

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.