Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for some advice.

heres a little background on me...
    I am 28 and working in full time employment. I have a 2:1 degree in Criminology & Sociology BA (Hons) from MMU, which i graduated in 2010.
    For the past year or so i have really wanted to have a career in nursing as i have found through my current job, that i really like helping people. My current job has nothing to do with nursing though, i am just customer facing in local government sector.

The first question i wanted to ask is does it matter that i already have a degree that is unrelated. Will i still be eligible for funding. I am a homeowner with my partner, would i be entitled to any help with living costs etc as my partner wouldn't be able to do this on their own.

Another thing i wanted to ask was... would my work experience count as transferable skills as i currently don't have any any experience in the caring sector, or should i first get some before i apply through UCAS?

Any help you could give me on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jogreguk)
    I'm looking for some advice.

heres a little background on me...
    I am 28 and working in full time employment. I have a 2:1 degree in Criminology & Sociology BA (Hons) from MMU, which i graduated in 2010.
    For the past year or so i have really wanted to have a career in nursing as i have found through my current job, that i really like helping people. My current job has nothing to do with nursing though, i am just customer facing in local government sector.

The first question i wanted to ask is does it matter that i already have a degree that is unrelated. Will i still be eligible for funding. I am a homeowner with my partner, would i be entitled to any help with living costs etc as my partner wouldn't be able to do this on their own.

Another thing i wanted to ask was... would my work experience count as transferable skills as i currently don't have any any experience in the caring sector, or should i first get some before i apply through UCAS?

Any help you could give me on these matters would be greatly appreciated.
    Have a look at universities you are interested in and see if you meet their entry criteria. Some places accept an unrelated degree for the postgrad course.

You should be entitled to funding, it's means tested mostly so they will take into consideration whether you have any savings, what your partner earns and so on.

With work experience it's how you word it when it comes to your PS and interview. Working in a customer facing role will no doubt have given you some good communication skills. However there's no harm in getting more experience, it can be quite competitive getting into nursing at the moment, so the more experience the better. Try hospitals, care homes or the voluntary sector, St John Ambulance or the Red cross can be quite useful.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your speedy reply! Ive been looking at Liverpool John Moores and Edge Hill but couldn't really make sense of it. I will have to go to an open day to ask some questions.

I have attended an interview for St John Ambulance last week and am now waiting on my two day first aid training.

Its really the finance thing that is holding me back at the moment so might get in touch with student finance and see what they say.

Thanks again for replying!

ReputationRep:
    No worries

Ask about finance when you go to an open day, they should have a better understanding then me, it's all changed since I left uni.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.