Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm 17 years old and I've never felt so alone. I have a couple of friends at school but I don't feel 'connected' to them at all; i'm sure if we never saw each other again it wouldn't be a big deal. I don't really have any friends outside of school. This sounds stupid but my dog and cat don't even like me anymore, they leave me when I try to play with them. The only people I really talk to are my parents. I play for a netball club but I always feel on the outside. I think if I disappeared only my parents would care.

I want this to change. Every day I feel more alone and down, so I am just asking for any advice on how to meet new people or make friends. I don't have time to join any new clubs so I can't do that, and I live in a little town where I think I know everyone my age. I recently moved school where I was completely on my own too. Any suggestions are much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    If time's an issue, then maybe joining online groups would be the way forward. What kind of things interest you? Maybe if you were to join a group/forum online about mutual interests, then this might help. Have you ever wanted to learn something new? Are there any online classes you could join? They sometimes have cool online support groups for those things too.

Have you told the people around you that you feel alone?

Sometimes the loneliness issue isn't about people around you not being interested you - it might be because for one reason or another you don't feel like sharing more than the superficial stuff with other people.

I meet and talk to loads of people everyday, but I don't really have many close friends and I end up feeling alone too.

ReputationRep:
    You play netball, I already like you, haha. I think that you need to try and make an extra effort to make new friends and connect with your friends. It's hard but just try and make an extra effort to make conversation and meeting outside of schools and clubs. Maybe joining a new club. Sometimes, you're not as lonely as you feel. Just because you think you're lonely, doesn't mean you are :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm also 17 and I feel so similar, I hate college no matter what I do nobody wants to be my friend and ones I do ditch me. It makes me so down, if you find a solution I'd love to hear it. I feel so ****ty about myself I just want a group of really nice friends but instead I feel like I'm wasting my life away.
    xox

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.