Turn on thread page Beta

What would I be entitled too? watch

    • Thread Starter

    I'm starting university at September 2014 entry but I'm in a dilemma.

    My parents are getting divorced and they're both moving out and on, right now the household income is around £50k which means I wouldn't be entitled to a grant when I apply.

    The accommodation I'm looking to get at the uni's I've applied for range between £4,500 and £4,800 a year. My max loan I could get right now is £5,000 which would give me a few hundred quid to live on!!!

    My parents are only staying at the house until I'm gone, so I am kinda stitched up when it comes to the finances. I would be living with my mum when the split happens, she earns around £10k, thus I would be entitled to more money to help me live on! However I reckon student finance will ignore this and I'll have to struggle for a year.

    It's a bit of a hardship because I don't want them to split up before I go but I also don't want to be screwed over for finances when I would theoretically be entitled to more.

    I'll be applying for bursaries at the uni I end up at but only one of them offers a scholarship program for AAA, which I have almost secured.

    Ahhhhh it's a year away but I'm worried about money already!!!

    It is a bit complicated but this is what you have to do.

    You must apply as normal using the relevant year's incomes. This will be both parents, so initially you will get no grants.

    However as the change in income will be more that 15 % you then ask for a current year assessment due to a change in circumstances. You will then be reassessed on your mum's money only.

    This is the only way to do it.

University open days

  • Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.