The Student Room Group

Retaking year 12, Need advice!!

Just to give a you a background, I achieved (1A, 2B'S, 2C'S 3D'S and a pass in Btec) which are below average GCSE's. However I was going through a rough time (my mum went through depression and had a scan for cancer).

I carried on to year 12 to study A level Maths, Biology, Computer Science and Physics.

This section has been removed for privacy reasons

Therefore I came out with these results:
Maths: E
Biology: E
Computer Science: E
Physics: U

My college was aware about the fact that I had family problems going on so they then allowed me to retake the year.

Now I am studying A levels Maths, Biology, Computer science and Media Studies. This year started out great and teachers are already predicting me A's in my subjects (based in past papers and extra work in class).

So if I was able to achieve four A's in my As level and A*AA in A2, What would be my chances of getting in to a university like UCL or Southampton to study Computer Science?

Would my Retake put me at a serious disadvantage?

Also would universities take my situation into consideration ? (if the sixth form was able to provide evidence)

Lastly, Would doing As chemistry over media studies be more advantages, even thought I won't be caring any one of them to A2

Thanks in advance for any replies. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I think most universities would be understanding of your situation as very few people would be able to do go through all that and come out with good grades. I'd just say contact the universities prior to applying and see what they say about it, ask to speak to the admissions tutor. And if it's all fine then ask your referee to mention it in your reference :-)
Reply 2
Most university's don't mind but of course it depends on the competitiveness of the course. You should probs email them and ask and they should tell you whether it matters or not. Your predicted grades are amazing so they should be ok with it, Umm it has been said that any subjects with ending in 'studies' is not that credited by Russell group uni's but of course that may just be rumour (I read it in the times somewhere) UCL obviously has high expectations being the top in the University League Table now... but you should be able to get in easily. Just make sure to contact them before you decide because it would be a waste of time if you find out that they don't take people who retook the year! Hope this helped!:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by angel.iced<3
I think most universities would be understanding of your situation as very few people would be able to do go through all that and come out with good grades. I'd just say contact the universities prior to applying and see what they say about it, ask to speak to the admissions tutor. And if it's all fine then ask your referee to mention it in your reference :-)

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to contact potential universities at the moment. However still not sure if i should drop As media, as its not considered a very good A level by most universities. No disrespect to the subject itself.
Original post by Waraich
Thanks for the reply, I am trying to contact potential universities at the moment. However still not sure if i should drop As media, as its not considered a very good A level by most universities. No disrespect to the subject itself.

Good call :-)... I wouldn't really know what to say to you about that but what I do know is it's seen as a 'soft' a level whereas chemistry is seen as a 'hard' a level.

I just looked at UCL's entry requirements as well as Southampton and they only specifically require maths at a-level so I'd say if you would rather study media than chemistry then go for it. But do try to check with the universities :smile:.
Reply 5
Good call :-)... I wouldn't really know what to say to you about that but what I do know is it's seen as a 'soft' a level whereas chemistry is seen as a 'hard' a level.

I just looked at UCL's entry requirements as well as Southampton and they only specifically require maths at a-level so I'd say if you would rather study media than chemistry then go for it. But do try to check with the universities :smile:.

I do enjoy media however i do also enjoy chemistry but the only thing is that i believe more work is required for chem then it is for media also it would be difficult (but not impossible) to get As media changed to chemistry as we are already 1 month into the course.

Thanks for you help
Original post by Waraich
I do enjoy media however i do also enjoy chemistry but the only thing is that i believe more work is required for chem then it is for media also it would be difficult (but not impossible) to get As media changed to chemistry as we are already 1 month into the course.

Thanks for you help

Yeah I know what you mean, and your other subjects have a heavy workload too. Would your college offer any help in catching up if you were to switch to chemistry?

If I was you I would just stick with media because your other subjects are really good and academic and media is fairly relevant to computer science in some ways. Plus it'd help with your work load.

Don't worry about it. :tongue:
Reply 7
Yeah I know what you mean, and your other subjects have a heavy workload too. Would your college offer any help in catching up if you were to switch to chemistry?

If I was you I would just stick with media because your other subjects are really good and academic and media is fairly relevant to computer science in some ways. Plus it'd help with your work load.

Don't worry about it. :tongue:

I don't believe my college would offer any sort of support but i do agree with your point about the workload.

Thanks for you help :wink:
Reply 8
Woah, that situation sounds horrible! Good on you for getting through it all and thinking ahead to the future. I'm pretty certain the universities would understand. There was no way you could have worked hard throughout all of that. Hope everything's better now!
Reply 9
Original post by platosbesty
Most university's don't mind but of course it depends on the competitiveness of the course. You should probs email them and ask and they should tell you whether it matters or not. Your predicted grades are amazing so they should be ok with it, Umm it has been said that any subjects with ending in 'studies' is not that credited by Russell group uni's but of course that may just be rumour (I read it in the times somewhere) UCL obviously has high expectations being the top in the University League Table now... but you should be able to get in easily. Just make sure to contact them before you decide because it would be a waste of time if you find out that they don't take people who retook the year! Hope this helped!:smile:

Thanks for the reply :smile: , yh I did see a list of A-levels which UCL consider "proper" A-levels and unfortunately media was not on there but I also did read that they only ask that you have 3 of the a-levels that are on the list. Considering the fact that I am not going to take it to A2, so I don't believe it would make a massive difference or would it?
Considering the fact that I am not going to take it to A2, so I don't believe it would make a massive difference or would it?
Hmmm I don't think so if you don't take it on to A2 then it shouldn't be a problem but then of course some uni's are picky, UCL especially. You just have to check how much they look as your AS's cuz if they do then that could be a problem. But in saying that most uni's don't!

Quick Reply

Latest