The Student Room Group

pH of water (h+)=(oh-) ??

WHAT THE.PNG

Approaching this question; there are two things I am completely confused about. Firstly , does the water having a pH of 7 mean that it is neutral and therefore [H+] = [OH-]? If so, does that mean that the water in this question having a pH of 7.47 mean that the hydrogen ion concentration does not equal the hydroxide ion concentration? Because in the working out for the answer to calculate the ionic product of water; they take [H+] to be equal to [OH-]; which I thought only applies to pure water with a pH of 7.
Reply 1
If you take a look at the water dissociation reaction:

H2O <-> H+ + OH-

amount of H+ produced must be equal to amount of OH- produced, and their concentration are identical (assuming there are no other sources of H+ and OH-). Neutral water doesn't mean pH of 7 - it means equal concentrations of H+ and OH-. Depending on the temperature pH of neutral water changes, see table here.
Original post by scientific222
WHAT THE.PNG

Approaching this question; there are two things I am completely confused about. Firstly , does the water having a pH of 7 mean that it is neutral and therefore [H+] = [OH-]? If so, does that mean that the water in this question having a pH of 7.47 mean that the hydrogen ion concentration does not equal the hydroxide ion concentration? Because in the working out for the answer to calculate the ionic product of water; they take [H+] to be equal to [OH-]; which I thought only applies to pure water with a pH of 7.

Original post by Borek
If you take a look at the water dissociation reaction:

H2O <-> H+ + OH-

amount of H+ produced must be equal to amount of OH- produced, and their concentration are identical (assuming there are no other sources of H+ and OH-). Neutral water doesn't mean pH of 7 - it means equal concentrations of H+ and OH-. Depending on the temperature pH of neutral water changes, see table here.

pH is determined by the concentration of H+ (or more specifically for water, H3O+)

Consider pure water at 5 degrees vs 70 degrees. The water is always neutral but because the extent of autoionisation will have changed due to the temperature change he pH will have changed.
Reply 3
Original post by JMaydom
Consider pure water at 5 degrees vs 70 degrees. The water is always neutral but because the extent of autoionisation will have changed due to the temperature change he pH will have changed.

Perhaps my English failed me, but I thought that's what I wrote (or at least that's what I intended to wrote). At 5°C pH of pure water is 7.37, at 70°C pH of pure water is 6.40, both solutions are neutral.

Quick Reply

Latest