DELE as subtitute for A Level Spanish Watch

IntoTheWater
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everybody,
Modern languages is one of the degrees I'm considering. However, due to some problems, I am currently not doing an A Level Spanish. I planned to self teach myself and apply for the exams as an external candidate, but because of:
a) I'm not sure if I am going to continue my higher education in the UK ( :rolleyes: 9000 pounds and I'm still not certain if I'm eligible to pay this EU fee)
b) DELE is widely recognised and doing it would save me a lot of time and money (as you only take one exam)
Doing DELE clearly is more beneficial for me but I still very much want to go to Oxbridge and other prestigious UK universities.
So can somebody please tell me if universities (especially the top ones) accept DELE? Should I do A-Level instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
sophia5892
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It really depends on the uni and what other qualifications you'll be applying with. Obviously most universities work off A Level (or equivalent European school leaving exam) results, but there is always the bit where they'll show "discretion" for alternative qualifications. However, A Levels are the safe option if your wanting to do university study here!

And again, your personal situation or reasons for not doing Spanish A Level could make a difference to your application.

Your best bet is to email the admissions tutors for the programmes that interest you and see what they say about it, as there really is no set rule.

For example, Newcastle Uni accepts JLPT (the Japanese equivalent of DELE), but the JLPT result is often in addition to the 3 A-Level offer and is used to allow students to skip a semester or year of study instead of joining the beginner's class.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
IntoTheWater
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by sophia5892)
It really depends on the uni and what other qualifications you'll be applying with. Obviously most universities work off A Level (or equivalent European school leaving exam) results, but there is always the bit where they'll show "discretion" for alternative qualifications. However, A Levels are the safe option if your wanting to do university study here!

And again, your personal situation or reasons for not doing Spanish A Level could make a difference to your application.

Your best bet is to email the admissions tutors for the programmes that interest you and see what they say about it, as there really is no set rule.

For example, Newcastle Uni accepts JLPT (the Japanese equivalent of DELE), but the JLPT result is often in addition to the 3 A-Level offer and is used to allow students to skip a semester or year of study instead of joining the beginner's class.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
Thank you for replying! I really appreciate it I just sent a few universities an email, still waiting for the answer though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?