Having a job at uni... Watch

This discussion is closed.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I am very worried about what my money situation will be whilst at uni...i was thinking of maybe getting a part time job in term time (max 10-15 hrs per week) just to cover the cost of what i would be spending. I suppose it depends how many hours of lectures etc I have - i am doing psychology so will probably be around 8-15 ish. I would obviously work more in the holidays

Would you advise me to get a job as long as i limit my hours? Or would you suggest only working in the holidays.

Any advice would be appreciated
Baby_Angelz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hope this helps:

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthrea...highlight=jobs
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Baby_Angelz)
Hope this helps:

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthrea...highlight=jobs
thank you!!
xxxx
Rupz
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
hi im at uni as well and money wise it can be a bloody struggle! what ive find in the jobs ive had some far (im 2nd year gone through 3!) is that even if it is very part time they usually want u 2 wrok over the holidays, but the hols r usually the only chance us students get 2 go home! so ive had 2 leave some jobs due2 this problem. also if u work few days in the week u should make sure uve got time 4 researchimg on coursework etc since it can get mad when u trying 2 meet a deadline etc. what id say is make sure u know exactly how much max u would hav2 work in the week and if u can juggle the hours round. hope helped somehow
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rupz)
hi im at uni as well and money wise it can be a bloody struggle! what ive find in the jobs ive had some far (im 2nd year gone through 3!) is that even if it is very part time they usually want u 2 wrok over the holidays, but the hols r usually the only chance us students get 2 go home! so ive had 2 leave some jobs due2 this problem. also if u work few days in the week u should make sure uve got time 4 researchimg on coursework etc since it can get mad when u trying 2 meet a deadline etc. what id say is make sure u know exactly how much max u would hav2 work in the week and if u can juggle the hours round. hope helped somehow
thats very helpful, thankyou.
i won't have the going home problem in the holidays as I am going to uni locally so i can keep the same job
ericsimo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As an international student (from New York), do you think that I will find it difficult to get work?

I will pay taxes in the USA since that's where my residence is, right?
fifi53
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
student visa? entitles you to up to 20 hours paid work a week. think thatd be what youd have to do. think youd have to pay full taxes oin UK and any you cant halt while youre away from US
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (64)
29.36%
No - I got the required grades (124)
56.88%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (30)
13.76%

Watched Threads