Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My daughter is half Welsh, half English, and her father and I divorced about 15 years ago. Since that time she has been living with me in England during term time, and living at her father's in Wales during most of the holidays.

Once her exams are over, she will go and stay with her father as usual. Is there any reason why her father's home couldn't then become her main residence making her eligible to apply to Student Finance Wales? She wouldn't be moving to Wales solely for the purposes of education, as she already lives there part of the year, and 4 of the 5 universities she is applying to are in England. She would be primarily resident in Wales some months before the first day of the academic year, and has lived in the UK for more than 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    The regulations state that she would need to be normally resident in the nation she applies to on the first day of the academic year which for student finance purposes is the 1st September.

This means that if your daughter was living with her dad full time over the summer and was normally resident there on the 1st September she could apply to Wales and receive the tuition fee grant.

ReputationRep:
    ok thank you - I think the only tricky thing is going to be timing, as I think the deadline for Student Finance applications may be before she has moved, so she will probably have to put in a late application, which will then mean she may not get the funding when she needs it for the start of term, but I don't think we can do anything about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaisyR66)
    ok thank you - I think the only tricky thing is going to be timing, as I think the deadline for Student Finance applications may be before she has moved, so she will probably have to put in a late application, which will then mean she may not get the funding when she needs it for the start of term, but I don't think we can do anything about that.
    Obviously you will still need to apply as soon as possible. You could do this on time using her Dad's address knowing she will be living there. Welsh applications are generally assessed alot quicker than English ones but this may change next year as 1st year applications are being moved to a centralized service for the 1st time. This could easily mean things take a lot longer next year.

ReputationRep:
    ok thank you - she'll do that then.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.