Turn on thread page Beta

For a long time now, I've noticed that no-one seems to take me seriously in any context- its literally just like I speak and they switch off. I mean, I'm smart- but everyone just ignores my opinions and behaves in a condescending way towards me.
    What can I do about this?

ReputationRep:
    I've found this too. People just don't seem to respect my opinion. I think you just need to be assertive. Having a particular position of power (like being the team leader, being on the committee of a society etc.) does tend to help too.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes for people that are a bit more reserved you have to find your assertive side and say, for example, 'look im talking, you're interrupting me'.

Also why do you want to be 'taken seriously' by people who obviously are rude and lack that self awareness. If your talking about parents or older siblings than maybe its something you're going to have to put up with until your older. But yeah with your peers, don't take yourself too seriously you're opinion is just as valid as anyones and if they cant appreciate that its not about you, its about themselves and their own insecurities.

ReputationRep:
    Try to initiate the conversation

ReputationRep:
    I find that new people I meet don't find me funny in the slightest even though the things I'm doing would make my friends from back home and my family laugh. Maybe the people you're talking to are just too focused on what people are thinking of what they're saying/doing than focused on what you're actually saying/ perhaps there are people they're trying to impress around you.

ReputationRep:
    Well I was feeling the same when I moved to the Netherlands last year, in the middle of the school year. In the beginning, I was feeling ignored. Thankfully some people had short chats with me. After meeting people, I now have 3 very good friends with whom I could chat for the whole day. Some people even now, keep on ignoring me and I think that this is perfectly fine, not everyone can become a friend with anyone. What changes things is meeting a person that is happy to talk with you and discuss your common interests. As the time passes you will start chatting for other stuff and you will be taken seriously. That guy told me this year that he doesn't normally accept new people as his friends, what always works when trying to make new friends and earn their trust is patience. There is only 1 exception that has also happened to me when I changed school in the beginning of the previous year, (not the middle, the beginning). This school was an IB school and everyone was new. When everyone is new, people accept you and become friends with you way more easily. That's only personal experience though and what I suggest you overall would be to meet new people if the people you know won't accept you and to be patient with new people, some people need their time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's really hard to give advice on something like this when we don't know you. There's probably something about you that is causing this, I would try to diagnose it and then do something to fix it.

It could be that you're too quiet and need to build your self-confidence. It could be that people find you boring or maybe you come across as unintelligent i don't know.

Wheat other people are saying about it being the problem of the people you talk to doesn't help you at all. Sure it's rude to ignore and disregard people, but the only way you can change how people react to you is to change the way you act toward them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For a long time now, I've noticed that no-one seems to take me seriously in any context- its literally just like I speak and they switch off. I mean, I'm smart- but everyone just ignores my opinions and behaves in a condescending way towards me.
    What can I do about this?
    Do you have people skills? Are you approachable?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.