The Student Room Group

Self employed and job seekers

Hi

I just wanted to ask some advice regarding a potential opportunity I have. I'm in my final year of uni and have found a self employed job that I'm interested in. It doesn't pay well I might make a couple of grand or considerably less over this academic year. Only thing is I have read that being self employed may cause problems if I need to apply for job seekers once I gradate which is likely unless I secure a job while still at uni.

I don't intend to keep this self employed job after I gradate so is it worth the hassle of all the paper work having to pay voluntary NI contributions etc and then having problems later?
Original post by LowRider
Hi

I just wanted to ask some advice regarding a potential opportunity I have. I'm in my final year of uni and have found a self employed job that I'm interested in. It doesn't pay well I might make a couple of grand or considerably less over this academic year. Only thing is I have read that being self employed may cause problems if I need to apply for job seekers once I gradate which is likely unless I secure a job while still at uni.

I don't intend to keep this self employed job after I gradate so is it worth the hassle of all the paper work having to pay voluntary NI contributions etc and then having problems later?

I would seek advice from the Job Centre or CAB to see where you stand, they'll be able to advise what your options are.

If you do take the job, you will need to pay contributions regardless of whether you intend to keep the job or not.
Reply 2
Original post by LowRider
Hi

I wouldn't bother with Class 4 NI if it's only during university - what's the point? As for your Class 2 contributions - big deal - it's what? Less than £3 a week, and you'll get an exemption if you're earning under £6k.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending