Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.

I am currently in my AS year and i am only studying three A levels, hoping to do Computer Science. I am looking to apply to mainly these types of Unis (Birmingham Warwick etc) not Oxbridge. Will having only three As put me at a disadvantage as opposed to people who are doing four A levels.

I appreciate your help. thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 1235)
    Hello everyone.

I am currently in my AS year and i am only studying three A levels, hoping to do Computer Science. I am looking to apply to mainly these types of Unis (Birmingham Warwick etc) not Oxbridge. Will having only three As put me at a disadvantage as opposed to people who are doing four A levels.

Well, only 3 A2s will be required but you'll have to check their course requirements to see whether a 4th AS would be required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1235)
    Hello everyone.

Of course, when you apply to university, you are in competition with everyone else who applies for that course. Some of the applicants will be better qualified than you (better grades, more A levels, better grades IN more A levels!) and some will be less qualified. Some will have a personal statement that would blow yours out of the water; some will have a rubbish personal statement that would make you cringe if you read it. Some will have a reference that reads like a nomination for the Nobel Prize; others will have a reference in which the teacher struggled to find something good to write about.

Your application is the sum of all these parts. Compared to some of your "competitors", you will be, as you put it, "at a disadvantage"; compared to others, yours will have the clear advantage.

If you fulfil the entry requirements for a particular course, then you have in the broadest sense of the words, "as good a chance as any".

In addition, lots of unis stress that they prefer to see three excellent A levels than four middling grades. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Most universities don't care about having a fourth AS. However, Warwick and UCL are the two notable exceptions - they require a fourth AS for pretty much all their courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Ill try to keep this breef. Im currently a student at college studying a btec extended level 3 diploma in engineering.i started on the 16th september and to be quiet honest im dreading it. I hate it. Its boring and i feel its irrelevant to real life. After reading up on it I find law quiet interesting and would love to study it at college. After doing some research i have realised my best bet with law is studying it at uni. I approached my college today and explained my situation and told them i wanted to switch to a levels, for proberbly law,english history and maybe business or phycology, they told me it was too late and that all places were full up in a levels. I have rang up colleges around the area and they all say there are no more places at a level and i wouldnt be able to catch up. I talked to connexions and they pretty much told me either stick with the engineering for the 2 year full qualification or leave and do an apprentership until next year and then start your a levels. Only problem is there are no law apprenterships anywhere near my area (wolverhampton) and plus i dont want to waste a year doing slave labour for a company,i dont feel it would help me. Is there really no other option? ;( someone please advice me as soon as. Thank you very much for anyones help in advance. Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Most universities don't care about having a fourth AS. However, Warwick and UCL are the two notable exceptions - they require a fourth AS for pretty much all their courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey. I checked the University of Warwick website for computer science and the entry requirements only state: "AAA with A in Mathematics".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1235)
    Hey. I checked the University of Warwick website for computer science and the entry requirements only state: "AAA with A in Mathematics".
    Then you'll be fine having only three A levels. The only potential problem is if it turns out that you don't want to continue one of your 3 as to a2, but effectively have no choice.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.