Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 12 and taking A Level English Lit, Sociology and Law. Last year? I achieved AAD respectively, as well as an E in AS German. In terms of university courses, I'm stuck. I know that I want to do something with writing as it's always been a passion of mine; I used to write stories and scripts when I was younger. I also have a flair for news writing. I would like to become either a journalist, scriptwriter, theatre critic or, failing all else, a teacher. I've read most journalists didn't do Journalism as a degree, however, my boyfriend does Sports Journalism at uni and whenever he comes home and tells me what sort of things he's been doing, I am insanely jealous.

Furthermore, I wouldn't do straight English as a degree as I'm not a terribly bookish person; I can write about Shakespeare, Milton and Chaucer, but I find it tedious, though my current choice of coursework is 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest', which I'm really enjoying. Seems like contemporary fiction is my thing. I would probably choose to do a Joint/Combined honours course, but I'm stuck between English Lit and Journalism, English Lit and Creative Writing and Creative Writing and Journalism.

A friend of mine does a Humanities degree at the University of Hertfordshire, my local uni (I plan to commute no further than London from Hertfordshire), which would enable my to study a degree in English Literature with Journalism and Creative Writing, or to change to a pure English Literature degree in my second year. Does anyone know the value of this degree?

Thanks,

Chloe xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    Be aware you'll get some different answers here because people do perceive the values of degrees in different ways. So take this with a pinch of salt. But.
    English Lit as a straight degree is most valuable. The majority of successful journalists have English Lit or History degrees. A journalism degree is considered weak in comparison, a creative writing degree even more so. BUT! You say you don't necessarily enjoy English Lit on its own and university is about enjoying yourself as well. If it were left to me you'd do pure Lit but seen as you don't want to, a joint honours in Lit and Journalism is probably your best course of action.

Don't worry, I've had this exact debate with myself. Have ended up opting for pure Lit but it's tough to not do a creative writing degree when you feel really passionate about it.

ReputationRep:
    The trouble with a journalism degree is that there is no regulation as opposed to, say, a degree in medicine. So many people graduate with a degree in Journalism and are despondent when they find they are realistically no closer to a career in journalism. The BBC, for example, have their own 'College of Journalism' because they don't assume that any University will provide prospective journalists with the skills necessary to do the job. One of the biggest criticisms of journalism degrees is that they are still so print-biased in an era when news is becoming more and more social-media and internet centric.

If you go down the journalism route, and eventually want a career in news, in my opinion you need to be either having your work published on a regular basis in a student paper, volunteering with a local paper or at least having a regular blog with decent page views; otherwise a part of your joint honours would be (in my opinion) pretty useless.

Can't comment on the creative studies/Lit though as I know very little about either!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the universities I've visited have advised against ding an undergraduate degree in journalism, and rather doing an English lit degree and then going on to study journalism afterwards, but also joining the uni newsletter/radio/volunteering locally during your undergraduate years

Why not find somewhere with English Lit and Sociology? They would go well with journalism wouldn't they? Although I don't know where you could do it!

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From a 'future employment' point of view a straight English Lit degree will be a better option than Journalism or Creative Writing - both of which are viewed with suspicion by many mainstream employers.

If you want to concentrate on modern literature, then look at courses that include American Literature - Kent, UEA etc - as these usually focus more on the modern era and usually include a Year Abroad (highly regarded by emloyers), OR look subjects like Cultural Studies.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your responses. Since my post, I've visited some universities and have found that the one offering English Lit and Journalism is horrific. So my only options now are English Lit, English Lit and Creative Writing or Journalism and Creative Writing. I've found one course that I particularly like at Anglia Ruskin, straight English, but the rest seem to be very historical. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 7, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.