The Student Room Group

Dissertation Help ideas needed

Hello :0) Currently in my 3rd year about to embark on my dissertation for education studies but struggling for literature lead ideas for research. My primary thought was for peer critique in primary schools to enhance learning however there seems to be a distinct lack of literature to pull from, please can anyone else suggest any more feasible ideas?
[h="1"]These are just some ideas worth considering! Hope you find it useful!

Education Dissertation Topics[/h]
2.0 Pre-school Education
Preschool education in the United Kingdom and most other countries refers to any education or formal schooling that children between the ages of 18 months and 6 years go through. Possible topics in this area that maybe used as an education dissertation topic are:

Has the introduction of the Montessori method to pre-school education improved the pre-school system?

Do Montessori-educated pre-schoolers fare better in language and math skills over other young scholars who have not been through the Montessori method?

Does pre-school education equip students and prepare them for the rigours of primary schooling or rather give them a play school environment that makes it more difficult for them to conform to the needs of primary school?

What are the advantages gained by students who go to pre-school over those that do not?

Should pre-schooling be mandatory for all children as primary schooling is?

Is it more advantageous for children to go to pre-school between the ages of 18 24 months instead of at four years?

Children who attend pre-schools are better equipped to handle social situations when compared to those who have not attended pre-school

Should pre-schooling contain tests that measure the knowledge gained by students starting from a tender age of two years?

Should pre-school education consist more of language, math and motor skill acquisition or character formation?

Are the current students to teacher ratios in the pre-school system sufficient or should it be increased?

3.0 Primary school Education
Known as primary school education or elementary school education in most of the developed world broadly covers students attending school between age six and 12 or 13 years of age. Issues for education dissertations in this area include:

Should primary school education consist of money management techniques and business studies?

Should emphasis laid on language and math studies be lowered to ensure that more kids are able to keep up with the curriculum?

Does the Montessori method of teaching benefit children below the age of twelve more than traditional schooling methods?

Should primary schools reduce their dependence on testing to measure performance levels?

Is it wise to lower standards to ensure that students pass instead of increasing the support provided to failing students to meet the existing standards?

Are the current courses taught in primary schools more suited to the industrial age rather than the information age?

Should primary school students be allowed more independent study than is currently allowed?

Should there be more emphasis on environment preservation and energy conservation and green living a part mandatory primary school curriculum?

Should learning be allowed to be more self-directed in traditional primary schools as it is under the Montessori method of teaching?

Is the formal primary education presently available to students of lesser value than the primary education that was available to their parents over two decades or so ago?

4.0 Collegiate Education
Collegiate education, or high school education as it is popularly known, broadly covers the formal education available to students between the ages of 13 or 14 to 17 or 18. This is also known as secondary school education and consists of Ordinary Levels and Advanced Level or, as known in Australia and some other countries, SSC and HSC exams. There are a range of subjects in this area to be discussed, and any of the following could be used as a basis for your education dissertation research:

Should standardised testing be completely eliminated in the secondary schooling system?

Should wealth management and entrepreneurship related courses be offered to high school students over courses such as history and geography etc.?

Should schools focus more on personality and character formation more than on academic education?

Is it more beneficial to have apprenticeship programs and vocational training programs in high schools than outside of the schooling system?

Is gender segregation of the schooling system beneficial?

Do male students fare better when they are among same gender counterparts rather than co-ed counterparts?

Should schools be segregated by race and do the benefits of such a scheme far outweigh the disadvantages?

Is it more beneficial to put students who consistently make failing grades with high achievers so they do better and achieve higher scores?

Should there be less emphasis on language and math skills in high schools and more emphasis on today’s pressing issues such as environment protection and resource conservation?

Should religious education be reintroduced to the schooling system to increase racial and religious tolerance?

Hope this helped. I know that I struggled with ideas for my dissertation when i was a uni student!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending