Turn on thread page Beta

What is the mental behavior called? watch

I find that I am heading towards depression or already suffering. I have just finished University after 5 years, moved to my parents recently, I broke up with my girlfriend yesterday as well as I felt I didn't care about her, but in general it's nothing. I went on holiday for 2 weeks, which was good but I found I never was really excited about anything, and the feeling of been frustrated that I had to do things because we were on holiday.

I will get things done that need doing, but may take longer than really needs doing, and find I have periods on my own of just thinking about been not excited about anything, relationship finishing etc and I have to snap myself out of these periods which can last a few minutes to half an hour or more. Where I am just dwelling on the issue in my head or researching about it, not doing the tasks I really should be doing. What is this called? It almost feels like my brain really struggles to concentrate on a single thing for awhile, and is clouded over by thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I find that I am heading towards depression or already suffering. I have just finished University after 5 years, moved to my parents recently, I broke up with my girlfriend yesterday as well as I felt I didn't care about her, but in general it's nothing. I went on holiday for 2 weeks, which was good but I found I never was really excited about anything, and the feeling of been frustrated that I had to do things because we were on holiday.

I will get things done that need doing, but may take longer than really needs doing, and find I have periods on my own of just thinking about been not excited about anything, relationship finishing etc and I have to snap myself out of these periods which can last a few minutes to half an hour or more. Where I am just dwelling on the issue in my head or researching about it, not doing the tasks I really should be doing. What is this called? It almost feels like my brain really struggles to concentrate on a single thing for awhile, and is clouded over by thoughts.

Well, this sounds like depression to me. You have described a few symptoms of depression, mainly one's that I had also. Although there is more symptoms. Please go see a doctor, or tell someone who you think you can trust with this kind of information.
    You can't suffer from this alone, believe me.

I will do, I just find it varies during the day depending if no one is around. Is that normal? Like I didn't want to but I sat and had dinner with my parents, I didn't want to the whole dinner but by the end I stayed and actually had a nice evening, doing nothing but nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I will do, I just find it varies during the day depending if no one is around. Is that normal? Like I didn't want to but I sat and had dinner with my parents, I didn't want to the whole dinner but by the end I stayed and actually had a nice evening, doing nothing but nice.

Yeah - that's totally normal in terms of depression anyway, that's what happens, varied moods depending on who's around you, what time of day it is, what you're doing, where you are and so on. I'm glad you had a nice evening. That makes me happy to hear!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes love, it really does sound like you are depressed. Please do make sure you see your GP, and do it tomorrow/this week! Don't be afraid of taking any medication or therapy the Dr offers you, if you both decide that's the best thing for you. You may not believe this right now, but there is a way out of this feeling, this is only a temporary thing! Depression is very common, more than you think; and is nothing to be ashamed of. Please don't try to ignore it, go and see your doctor....don't leave it to get any worse. All the best! x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.