Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if there is an engineering degree that is most common for going into the financial/banking sector or if there is a one which is better for that type of employment.

I was also wondering how common it is for people with an engineering degree to go into this area after their degree and to what extend they are disadvantaged over someone doing maths or accountancy etc?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you consider doing an accountancy degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RSmith1007)
    Why don't you consider doing an accountancy degree?
    My problem is, at the moment, I am not entirely sure what to at university. I was considering Electrical and Software Engineering because physics, maths and computing are my favourite subjects. Yet, I am not sure if I would want to work in this area afterwards so I was hoping to still keep my options open.

ReputationRep:
    Engineering is one of the most employable degrees out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusDS92)
    Engineering is one of the most employable degrees out there.
    I take it you do engineering, if so what one and why would say you enjoy it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kylerfc)
    I take it you do engineering, if so what one and why would say you enjoy it?
    No, I do physics I guess I'm just repeating what I've heard from so many places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusDS92)
    No, I do physics I guess I'm just repeating what I've heard from so many places.
    I don't think I could cope with how theoretical/abstract some physics is. Yeah well most of the people I spoke to are engineering so backs up what you said.

(Original post by Frankster)
    Electrical/Electronic Engineering - (EEE) Not only because I'm going to do it, but I've heard from Imperial and many other City universities that the skills that are learnt within an EEE degree are transferrable most to a financial sector. I'll be open to criticism here from other branches of engineering, but this is from what I've heard from head of departments at various universities. Mech - too focussed on practical stuff, you'll end up with an automotive firm or a 'hands on' company. Civil/structural - obviously buildings. Chemical - obv with oil and gas/GSK, research, but EEE/computer science anything related to this.

Having said that, if you want to just end up in a financial sector after engineering degree - purely because of the money - u need to look at the wider picture. The working hours aren't great, work itself can be tedious from what I've heard. I'm doing EEE purely because it leads me to a wide range of careers - can go into automotive if I want, can go into software/hardware, aeronautics etc...

Spoiler:
    Show
    Not saying that the pay in the financial sector may end up pulling me towards it
    Thanks for that I imagined EEE or varient of that would most likely be best or close though I currently think I want that computing science aspect along with it but will most likely apply to both anyway.

Yeah I have heard a lot of people on this site and in person speak about that. I admit I am not entirely sure what I want to do and whether I would want to work in an EEE job when I graduate. Then then when looking at other possibilities, I admit, the salary of say an actuary does look attractive even though the work involved in the exams etc.

I think the range of possible jobs and the different fields is what is helping to draw me doing EEE or Electrical and Software, quite like yourself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.