What countries love the Uk? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Smamii
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm just wondering what countries 'love' or have a 'positive feel' or would buy a product due to it being a UK brand or even 'aspire' to be more like the UK? Does anyone have any countries in mind? 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
pol pot noodles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The BBC World Service do an annual global opinion poll where people say whether or not they think a certain country has a positive or negative influence on the world. The UK got extremely high scores from the USA and Canada and a lot of Commonwealth countries in Africa (highest scores from Ghana, Nigeria and Kenya). Beyond that, I believe Sierra Leone has an extremely positive view of the UK after we intervened in their civil war, and there was a minor campaign over there calling for us to recolonise them. Germany is both our largest export and import partner, although that's more to do with us both being large economies right near each other than any particular cultural affinity.
Izzyeviel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the Belgians like us. Judging by the Eurovision song contest, Malta loves us as well. Oh and Monaco as well... probably all the expats though.
CreatorGal14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pol pot noodles)
The BBC World Service do an annual global opinion poll where people say whether or not they think a certain country has a positive or negative influence on the world. The UK got extremely high scores from the USA and Canada and a lot of Commonwealth countries in Africa (highest scores from Ghana, Nigeria and Kenya). Beyond that, I believe Sierra Leone has an extremely positive view of the UK after we intervened in their civil war, and there was a minor campaign over there calling for us to recolonise them. Germany is both our largest export and import partner, although that's more to do with us both being large economies right near each other than any particular cultural affinity.
Yet we never get points in Eurovision :/
Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CreatorGal14)
Yet we never get points in Eurovision :/
From my memory Malta have given us points quite frequently, (at least compared to others!).
CreatorGal14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen)
From my memory Malta have given us points quite frequently, (at least compared to others!).
True! In all fairness though, we don't choose the best representatives do we :P
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Historically speaking we have a very good relationship with Portugal.

I mean we've had an alliance that's held strong since, like, the 14th century.
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People in Spain always found it pretty cool I was British.
Smamii
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I guess Sweden doesn't love the uk then????

Posted from TSR Mobile
ckingalt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would say as a whole the U.S. has a "positive feel" towards the UK. In terms of aspiring to be more like the UK, I would say near half of America would favor such a shift and near half of America would be horrified by one.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The chinese love buying land rovers and russian oligarchs love buying premier football clubs. Course buying our stuff doesn't mean they love us.

I think we've a closer cultural affinity with the germans than we like to admit tbh. It's a big old world and most of it's a lot more foreign than germany.
player19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Smamii)
I'm just wondering what countries 'love' or have a 'positive feel' or would buy a product due to it being a UK brand or even 'aspire' to be more like the UK? Does anyone have any countries in mind? 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Serbia.
Kosovaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah right, remember the U21 football match? A bunch of racists tbh.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well there's a few ways people can love a foreign country.

There's the culture and history. The UK is fairly famous for spreading several crucial ideas around the world such as parliamentary systems and England's language.

There's the internal politics and internal systems like the NHS and the way our social-conservatism is compared to other countries. I think countries like Australia and Canada would look to the UK as a similar country in terms of having nationalised healthcare and being an English speaking country. Canada in particular has most of it's population concentrated in an area the size of England in a corridor between Quebec City and Windsor.

There's foreign policy. For the most part I think it's been fairly good, there's probably a few people in South America and Spain who are butthurt over the Falklands and Gibraltar. Despite Gulf War 2 being unpopular I don't believe we did too much bad and in Afghanistan it feels like we haven't been able to make a dent and most of the bad news seems to come from American drones. The intervention in the Balkans in the 90s was probably well received considering there was a genocide going on there.

I guess in the modern day most countries are similar.
Clessus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by player19)
Serbia.
It used to be, but not after 1999.

Actually Kosovo is very pro-British (due to, as Snagprophet mentiones, the intervention in the 1990s). You will find it difficult to find a place more pro-British and pro-American, there have even been calls to build a statue of Tony Blair in Pristina. America itself is also pro-British, which is interesting because there is quite a lot of anti-Americanism in Britain. Jordan's political leaders (though not the population) are also quite pro-British if I remember correctly.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
The chinese love buying land rovers and russian oligarchs love buying premier football clubs. Course buying our stuff doesn't mean they love us.

I think we've a closer cultural affinity with the germans than we like to admit tbh. It's a big old world and most of it's a lot more foreign than germany.
What's wrong with having a cultural affinity with the Germans? I have visited Germany and met Germans and found them to be very hospitable and Anglophile.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
From personal exeperience including living abroad and working in automation all environment I'd say that you'd be hard pushed to find a nation that hates the UK. Some foreign governments aren't to keen on us such as Argentina, but they tend to be the crazy nations that try and create strife for personal gain. Some nations are switched on enough to know that football hooligan type yobs who holiday abroad aren't representative.

Alhough it pains many on the left, we have a very strong brand abroad and are respected by most nations.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rational Thinker)
What's wrong with having a cultural affinity with the Germans? I have visited Germany and met Germans and found them to be very hospitable and Anglophile.
Germany and the UK have more in common than they don't. I've always found the Germans very easy going. They come across as humourless, but they have a wicked sense of humour. You just need to get to know them a little bit
player19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Clessus)
It used to be, but not after 1999.

Actually Kosovo is very pro-British (due to, as Snagprophet mentiones, the intervention in the 1990s). You will find it difficult to find a place more pro-British and pro-American, there have even been calls to build a statue of Tony Blair in Pristina. America itself is also pro-British, which is interesting because there is quite a lot of anti-Americanism in Britain. Jordan's political leaders (though not the population) aroe also quite pro-British if I remember correctly.
Yes, it is true for Kosovo, although I did not know that Blair jas a statue there. The Jordanian dynasty was set on the throne by the UK so it is very likely that Jordan is maintaining good relations.

I think all Commonwealth nations are pro-British. In Europe that would be the Nordic countries and with the Visegrad group (Poland, Hungary, Czechia and Slovakia). It serves as a cooperation between thoose countries against some EU policies, they cooperate with the UK government.

I did not notice anti-americanism in the British media. So, I guess that anti-americanism in the UK i because of the Revolutionary wars?

(Original post by Kosovaa)
Yeah right, remember the U21 football match? A bunch of racists tbh.
Posted from TSR Mobile
I would agree that the population is now more antagonistic toward the UK, but the political leadership is diferent. The main link is this wanna-be king. Also, I think there might be a strong Serbian lobby in the British establishment. The BBC, for example,did not make any report about Serbian hooligans in the match against Croatia (while there was a report in the vice versa case) and the BBC country profile of Serbia is quite good in compare to some other country profiles.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Germany and the UK have more in common than they don't. I've always found the Germans very easy going. They come across as humourless, but they have a wicked sense of humour. You just need to get to know them a little bit
This. When I went to Bordeaux, I could easily say "This is France. This and that is different" etc... but when I was in Berlin, I was surprised at how similar it was to London
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%