Turn on thread page Beta

You see a guy kicking his dog without any intention to stop, what do you do? watch

• View Poll Results: What do you do?
    Option 1
    57.95%
    Option 2
    27.27%
    Option 3
    10.23%
    Option 4
    4.55%

ReputationRep:
    Hey;

Well, I was just reading the news and it got me thinking about something. Anyway, I pose a situation, I want an honest answer so please use the poll.

Just before you answer, I would like to point out I am NOT condoning cruelty to animals nor do I promote violence, neither am I enforcing it for the sake of this thread. (For the PC lot on here). - Feels kinda sad I have to say this but still. =l

Anyway, say you are passing along the street and you see this guy kicking his dog for some unknown reason to you, there are probably another 50 people in the vicinity, however, none of them are policemen or hold any power involving being able to do anything about it and probably won't as all are passing by, what do you do?

I mostly made a poll given I expect the poll to represent differently from the actual messages, however, I would like to think of this more as an experiment, Please answer as honestly as you can.

Please chose one of the following options for the poll;

1. Try and stop the guy yourself through whatever means you can. (Probably resulting in a full on confrontation)
    2. Phone the police and describe the person while keeping an eye on them to report them to the police and provide a location.
    3. Keep walking by and hoping someone else will do something
    4. It is only a dog and none of my business, keep walking.

ReputationRep:
    Id find out why he was doing it.If the dog has attacked a child thats one thing

if hes decided he wants to kick a dog id beat ten levels of crap out of him
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Start with 2 then proceed to 1, probably.

ReputationRep:
    I'd kick the guy

ReputationRep:
    2 and 1. Call the police and THEN try and stop it. I kickbox so I'm pretty sure I could punch up the average joe if needs be.

ReputationRep:
    Option 1

ReputationRep:
    It's better if he continues kicking the dog other than start kicking me instead. I don't get into fights so I'd walk away.

ReputationRep:
    Option 4.

Plenty of nutters in the world - why make yourself a target for one?

ReputationRep:
    4, it's just a dog

ReputationRep:
    If you want me to be honest, then I probably wouldn't run over to the deranged psychopath and ask him to stop, not would I particularly want to command him to.

However, calling the police seems somewhat pointless. The dog is getting more injured by the second, potentially near death, and it would be quite some time before the police got there. I have no idea who the man is and he could be gone before they get there, granted perhaps CCTV could pick him up and then he could be found.

I'm not sure, maybe a bit of 3 mixed in with 1. Alert peoples' attention to the incident and hope that one of them will run over to him! If no one did, then I suppose I'd feel like I had to, but I don't know really. Nor do I know what to vote as.

ReputationRep:
    Option 1 without a doubt. For some reason, cruelty to dogs really gets to me; I think it's their innocent eyes and that whimpering noise they make. It just seems so unnecessary to hurt them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    Option 4.

Plenty of nutters in the world - why make yourself a target for one?
    I second this. Oh sure people SAY they'd do something, but you know what I'd do in the heat of the moment? Freeze up, piss my pants, and do the very British thing of saying it's not my business and walk away very fast. If the guy's enough of a lunatic to repeatedly kick a dog (presumably to death) then I'm not going to risk confronting him. He could be armed, on drugs, anything.

I'm a massive coward and I'm proud of it. You didn't think humans survived by always fighting their enemies did you?

And that doesn't mean I wouldn't have an issue with it. I'd probably buy a packet of cigarettes from the nearest shop and just try and forget.

Edit: Didn't see the option about NOT confronting him and calling the police on the sly instead. I'd probably do that. After all, I'm not paid to risk my life confronting nutters, but they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    2 and 1. Call the police and THEN try and stop it. I kickbox so I'm pretty sure I could punch up the average joe if needs be.
    You kickbox?! Haha what belt are you?

ReputationRep:
    If it was me I'd call the police first, give a description, location etc then step in and help the dog. Regardless of what the dog has done, the owner should not abuse it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelP)
    You kickbox?! Haha what belt are you?
    Haven't been graded yet I only started a few weeks ago. Apparently I am good at punching. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been graded yet I only started a few weeks ago. Apparently I am good at punching. What about you?
    I quit a few years back but I reached black belt Might start it up again
    Do you pay monthly or per session?

ReputationRep:
    This is vintage TL

ReputationRep:
    If I was with my partner, tell him to ring the police, describe him, etc, whilst I go and launch myself between him and the dog. Abuse of anything vulnerable, be it children, elderly, disabled, animals, etc, enrages me to otherworldly levels.

Even if I just distract the guy and let the dog get away, I've done something more than nothing. Unfortunately, I tend to forget I'm not invincible and such...

I also tend to have my panic alarm on me, so I guess I'd set that off and hold it by the guys ear or something.

ReputationRep:
    If it was obvious that the dog had done something dangerous (eg. if a pitbull had gone for a young child or something) I'd probably help restrain it in in whichever way was neccesary (my family has had some seriously bad experiences with out of control dogs). If it was just someone kicking a dog for absolutely no reason I would do everything I could to make them stop. How the hell do you justify that? People that abuse animals are low, you're lucky enough to have the companionship of another creature and then you just treat it like ****. I just can't bear to see an animal suffering. My neighbours had some guinea pigs a few years ago that they never fed and used to leave out in the snow. I used to sneak over the fence at night to feed them and sometimes take them inside if it was very cold.

ReputationRep:
    option 1. I am training to be a vet, not a chance am I letting him carry on with that ****.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.