The Student Room Group

ECG practical

Hello,

We did a practical on the ecg and am a bit confused.

and would be grateful for some help!
one question i got asked
2. are all your calculated values for resting heart rate as listed in data tables 1 and 2 exactly the same? if nor what do the differences indicate (hint: the heart rate is continuosly being modulated at rest)

I'm really not sure could it be something to do with environmental factors?

Thank you!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by msm1e12
Hello,

one question i got asked
2. are all your calculated values for resting heart rate as listed in data tables 1 and 2 exactly the same? if nor what do the differences indicate (hint: the heart rate is continuosly being modulated at rest)

Thank you!

Movement, body temperature change, urm...random variance...I can't think of much tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by msm1e12
Hello,

one question i got asked

Thank you!

Psychological factors like stress vary the RHR. There's one for you!

Are tables 1 and 2 the same person? Or two different people?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Psychological factors like stress vary the RHR. There's one for you!

Are tables 1 and 2 the same person? Or two different people?

Hey Hype :hello:

I assume it was done where the subjects were made to relax for a few mins, and then made to sit whilst being monitored...hence why I didn't mention stress.

I don't get the table 1/table 2 bit...could you this for us, OP?
I chose "stress" as my example since it's the stereotypical psychological factor, but it can be as simple as the "white coat effect", which is what I was mainly thinking of! Subject's HR could easily fall over time as they become a bit more acclimated to being strapped to a running ECG, or even rise for a wide range of thought patterns. :tongue:

If it's two different people, then that opens up a wide range of other factors, hence why we're asking OP! Even if it's the same person separated by a large period of time there are a few more factors that sneak in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I chose "stress" as my example since it's the stereotypical psychological factor, but it can be as simple as the "white coat effect", which is what I was mainly thinking of! Subject's HR could easily fall over time as they become a bit more acclimated to being strapped to a running ECG, or even rise for a wide range of thought patterns. :tongue:

If it's two different people, then that opens up a wide range of other factors, hence why we're asking OP! Even if it's the same person separated by a large period of time there are a few more factors that sneak in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yup, I agree :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending