Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Black history is just one part of history, it should not be given its own month. Or should it - and if so, why?

Here's what Morgan Freeman has to say about it:

ReputationRep:
    Morgan makes a good point .

To be fair we do have an very ethnocentric curriculum and without black history month black pupils would feel even more invisible , given the centuries of opression , slavery , complete degradation of value that black people faced is one month (realistically probably an assembly in most schools if your lucky , and a brief mention of martin luther king jr ) really a lot to ask ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaegon Targaryen)
    Morgan makes a good point .

To be fair we do have an very ethnocentric curriculum and without black history month black pupils would feel even more invisible , given the centuries of opression , slavery , complete degradation of value that black people faced is one month (realistically probably an assembly in most schools if your lucky , and a brief mention of martin luther king jr ) really a lot to ask ?
    I actually think that having a history month alienates people more. As if your history is different to everybody else's history. You haven't given any evidence that the curriculum is "ethnocentric", but what is ethnocentric is having remembrance months for certain groups of ethnic groups (I say "groups of" because "black people" does not refer to one ethnic group but many).

Also, many people have faced suffering and discrimination, not just black people. If we should have a black history month, we should also certainly have a Jewish history month and an Irish history month. Edit; and a native American history month. And a native Australian history month. It's getting a bit ridiculous, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    I actually think that having a history month alienates people more. As if your history is different to everybody else's history. You haven't given any evidence that the curriculum is "ethnocentric", but what is ethnocentric is having remembrance months for certain groups of ethnic groups (I say "groups of" because "black people" does not refer to one ethnic group but many).

Also, many people have faced suffering and discrimination, not just black people. If we should have a black history month, we should also certainly have a Jewish history month and an Irish history month. Edit; and a native American history month. And a native Australian history month. It's getting a bit ridiculous, isn't it?
    I don't really have the energy to be having a full out debate with you mate.

To my knowledge Black History month originated in America . Here it would have made sense more then elsewhere to have the month given the massive population of black people who only got rights as of 1950s IIRC . America would have you believe that equality is of MASSIVE concern , given that its written in the constitution and all . All the riots and **** that happened during the 1950s/60s with , people getting killed because of their colour etc It just isnt something that should be forgotten , and given the fact that it was so recent it made sense to have some part of it recorded in history .

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm black and I think BHM is an absolute waste of time. I never celebrate it, even when I was in Secondary School all they ever talked about was Slavery, like that's the only piece of Black History.

ReputationRep:
    Well for one thing it's patronising to blacks because it suggests they NEED a month - Black history isn't confined to simply the slave trade, it existed well before then, but of course black history month targets this as the main history which defines blacks and in doing so they become defined on one specific spectrum.

Secondly, if there is a black history month then why isn't there a white history month? Or is that racist? If there is a month for Blacks it seems only befitting that Asians get a month. And Whites get a month. And Hispanics get a month..............

As Morgan Freeman so eloquently makes his point, people are defined by being humans, not by the colour of their skin, their gender, their sexuality or even the colour of their hair. There is far too much focus on the small details nowadays to the extent that we disregard the one thing which unite all of us - the fact that we are human being. I personally don't see why there should be a black history month any more than gay pride or international woman's day. If you want to integrate 'minorities', or rather perceived minorities, then they shouldn't segregate themselves further by making themselves out to be any different than the average person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Secondly, if there is a black history month then why isn't there a white history month? Or is that racist? If there is a month for Blacks it seems only befitting that Asians get a month. And Whites get a month. And Hispanics get a month..............
    No idea. Has anyone tried to create them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aku-gila)
    No idea. Has anyone tried to create them?
    I'm not sure, but I certainly don't see them making a white history month.

ReputationRep:
    I 100% agree with Morgan Freeman. Although in all honesty I am against any type of race specific event, black history month, the MOBO's, association of black lawyers and alike, and today I heard about the British Asian football awards (or something similar). All of them need to be banned. All they do is enforce the believe that there is a difference between groups of people. Not to mention how certain groups are left out which ha the other argument about certain races getting preferential treatment. As Mr Freeman states, black history is AMERICAN history, they were and are American people. As a side issue to this, has anybody seen the south park episodes where they change the flag of south park and the episode where Cartman is deemed to have committed a hate crime? It explains these issues quite well.

ReputationRep:
    So the plan is to integrate black people by marking them out as different. That's bound to work :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it's testament to the pitying and regretfulness that surrounds slavery and attitudes towards what happened centuries ago. I think the white community feel like they have to compensate and over-acknowledge something that people with the same skin colour as them practiced a century ago, which I think is completely ridiculous. I also think it's really uncomfortable as it creates this atmosphere where black people are put under the magnifying glass essentially, and often it's really degrading to think that what is being purported is that most of our interesting history- according to others and what they choose to share in black history month- is down to slavery. I completely agree with Morgan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)

Totally agree. Freeman for the win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    I'm not sure, but I certainly don't see them making a white history month.
    Who's "them" though? I'm curious as to who actually creates these things.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.