Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? I love singing, but I don't really know what suits me, or what's best for me.

I enjoy singing, but there's some things I just think, 'eurg that doesnt bode well with me', and others I think 'hey, thats alright, but Im copying the artist too much' and not really sure what my 'natural' voice is?

How do I work out what's best for me and could you suggest some artists/music for me to try? Because my music knowledge is very very limited...

I'd give you a voice demo, but in all honesty I'm terrified. So this is very vague I guess.

How did you find out what worked for you?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swan stardust)
    Singing is magical reallyIt's great that you love it and you're trying to become better
    Have you thought of attending singing classes?There are classes that start from beginners level and gradually go to higher ones.Or you could talk to your music tutor for their advice
    What genre of music are you mostly into,which artists do you perfom?
    I don't have a music tutor and I only work part time (with bad health too) so lessons would be hard to afford and attend, but I might consider it if I get a new job (hopefully in the pipeworks... :cool:).

Uhm, I'm into a bit of everything really, but mostly pop or rock I suppose. We have a radio at work that plays a lot of current songs, so I'll generally sing along to a lot of new songs/artists. However, I most enjoy singing along to Evanescence and Taylor Swift at the moment as I find them 'easiest' to sing with (do not confuse that for me saying I can sing them well!). But I'm definitely open to suggestions!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I wish you great luck with workDon't lose hope,you never know how things could end up
    Great choices,both of them have great voices for their style.How about Adele,Sinead o Connor,Amy Winehouse?
    I do enjoy singing along with Adele too. Will give the other two a whack sometime soon. I guess I need confidence to try and let others listen so they can suggest things really...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    You could upload a video of yourself singing on youtube and ask for opinions or ask people you trust what they think.Avril Lavigne,Carrie Underwood,Jeff Buckley may be nice too.Remember that you can always get better with practice and timeHave faith in yourself that you can make your dreams come true and don't let doubt keep you back
    The people I know are tone deaf haha!

I do like Avril, Carrie Underwood and the odd Jeff Buckley. Thanks, guess I'll practice.

Terrified of people thinking I'm rubbish, haha. :bawling:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    As for me, I always thought that I have a tin ear But with the choral singing classes I've understood that I was wrong and my voice and ears are ok) You can try some lessons Singing not alone gives you more energy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 11, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.