The Student Room Group

Please help - new estrangement evidence needed?

Hi, I need help.

I'm in the third and final year of my degree. I've been estranged from my parents for many years and had to prove this in my first year's application - this process took a very long time but I finally managed to provide a statement from my A-level tutor stating that I was estranged and that I will be estranged for the three years of my course - I was told I would not have to prove my estrangement.

In August this year, I re-applied and foolishly ticked yes for the newly added question 'have you been financially indepenent for 3 years' - of course this is true but what it meant was that I was no longer considered estranged and that I would have to supply financial evidence for the last 3 years prior to study.

I explained on the phone that a simple mistake had been made and they told me it will be changed before university starts again and that everything should be ok.

After university had started, I phoned student finance and they told me that they had a backlog and it was delayed until October - finally they informed that my application had changed back to estrangement but that I needed to supply evidence for estrangement. I sent an email to their complaints department (I was told this is the only thing I could do about it) explaining that the original statement was enough evidence for all 3 years and that they've put me in a desperate position. That email was sent a week ago and I still haven't got a reply - also, only today did I receive my delcaration form, even though I applied in August. At present I will only be receiving the minimum loan and no grant once they receive the declaration form - it's going to be impossible for me to carry on studying for more than a few weeks and I have nobody to turn to. Is there anything I can do? It will be impossible to prove my estrangement again - the only way I could do it last time was through an A-level tutor who I've had no contact with since leaving college. My doctor and councillor said they couldn't do it, a letter from a magistrates judges wasn't even good enough because he was my grandmother's husband so he was later deemed to be an in-law - despite initially being told it would be fine.
Hi there,

In regards to registering a formal complaint, our complaints department will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 5 working days and will then investigate and respond to this within 15 working days.

Normally, estrangement evidence wouldn't be required again if the original evidence specifically states estrangement isn't likely to be resolved, however there are cases in which further evidence is required by our assessors.

It would be best if you return the declaration you have been sent as soon as possible and speak to the university about your situation. They may be able to assist you until your application has been reviewed.

Thanks,
Reply 2
Thank you, Mark. Sadly I still haven't got a reply.

Why does it take 15 working days? Is it just you running it all by yourself, Mark?

If they say no and I have to somehow find someone else to write a letter - it will seemingly take at least another month before I get the money I desperately need today. Interest to pay day loan companies will be in the hundreds by then and I have nobody to turn to. Is there any possible way I can speed the process up slightly? It really is jeopardising the rest of my life.
Hi there,

Complaints can take up to 15 working days for a response as we need to allow time for our Customer Relations Unit to fully investigate and response to your complaint.

If you wish to check the status of your complaint, please call us on 0845 073 8908.

If you have yet to do so, you may wish to speak to your university to check if your qualify for a hardship payment.
Reply 4
I rang up after not receiving a reply for 20 working days and was told that I need to provide more evidence of estrangement.

My doctor has said no, my counsellor has said no and my tutors have said they can't because none have known me long enough. The person at student finance said that if I get a sworn affidavait then that will count, however when I went to the lawyer, I was told that because I briefly met my mum 6 months ago at a family wedding and because I might bump into her again it would be an act of perjury to say I'm permanantly estranged and I could go to prison. He still charged me.

I'm now completely pennyless and paying £7 a day interest on a wonga loan that I have no idea how I'm going to pay back. I'm hopefully getting a hardship loan of £250 from my university which will cover half of my overdue rent. I spend most of my days now looking for work and I genuinely can't see how I'm going to be able to complete my degree.

All because I ticked the wrong box and my estrangement appplication was reset. I've tried everything. I really can't explain how traumatising this is.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.
Hi tractor22

The assessors are very specific about what evidence we can and cannot accept for estrangement
it is unfortunate that your application was processed in error with regards to independent status.

When we ask for estrangement evidence or any evidence it has to be relevant to the specific academic year
and so when being asked to confirm you are estranged we would not be able to accept evidence which was provided
to you 3 years ago as it is not relevant to your current circumstances.

We require someone who holds a professional qualification and is currently employed in that field who also knows
your circumstances and has known you for 3 years.

Without this information we would not be able to assess your application as means tested.

Thanks
Reply 6
The original evidence was 2 years ago and I've repeatedly been told by student finance - up until a few weeks ago - that it will cover my 3 years.

I've tried absolutely everything to find an alternative. I just can't believe that my life has been ruined by such a trivial mistake.
Hi there,

Can you please PM me with your CRN?

Thanks,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending