The Student Room Group

Help: struggling with mechanics

So at the moment I am doing M1, the book is very old and I struggle to understand it often. Are there any modern books any of you who were successful in mechanics recommend? I need this as I will be doing M2 and I don't want to be starting it while still struggling with M1 at the moment.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Examsolutions?
Reply 2
Original post by krisshP
Examsolutions?

I don't think he explains everything in the edexcel syllabus, because I have checked out his videos and it misses out some stuff it seems
Is this the book you have?

http://www.alibris.co.uk/search/books/isbn/9780435519162&cm_mmc=shopcompare-_-paid-_-Google-_-books?ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=15645251&gclid=CIq3i7uBiLoCFTIQtAod-y8AEg

If not, probably get that one. Looks up-to-date to me, though I do OCR MEI, not Edexcel.
Reply 4
Original post by Kilaskwiral
Is this the book you have?

http://www.alibris.co.uk/search/books/isbn/9780435519162&cm_mmc=shopcompare-_-paid-_-Google-_-books?ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=15645251&gclid=CIq3i7uBiLoCFTIQtAod-y8AEg

If not, probably get that one. Looks up-to-date to me, though I do OCR MEI, not Edexcel.

No, but i've heard those ones are basically modern copies of the old books. I might have a look in to getting it though, cheers
Reply 5
Original post by sneakbo2
I don't think he explains everything in the edexcel syllabus, because I have checked out his videos and it misses out some stuff it seems

Like what?

Perhaps try MyMaths
Reply 6
Original post by krisshP
Like what?

Perhaps try MyMaths

Erm an example was a particle at the point of slipping on a plane inclined from the horizontal. It's not included in any of his videos, atleast I don't think so
Reply 7
Erm an example was a particle at the point of slipping on a plane inclined from the horizontal. It's not included in any of his videos, atleast I don't think so

Can you post the question? Think of this in real life, it helps. You should realise that if you are pushing it up slightly, and therefore particle about to go up the plane, friction is pushing the particle down the plane. What I then would do is draw a free-body diagram of the particle with the forces on it whatever their direction e.g. downwards or up etc. The particle doesn't have to b drawn so accurately, so I draw it as a circle. Then I draw another diagram of this circle, but this time I have on it the components of all forces in the previous diagram. These components are parallel or perpendicular to the plane. Then it's usually just a case of resolving, using F=ma or/and even SUVAT:smile:

Practice makes perfect, seriously from experience.:smile:
I use this one for M1 and then the C1+2 versions of them and think they are very good as they give you worked examples of every question in the book on a CD and it is quite good at explaining things IMO

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0435519166?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by madmadmax321
I use this one for M1 and then the C1+2 versions of them and think they are very good as they give you worked examples of every question in the book on a CD and it is quite good at explaining things IMO

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0435519166?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep someone else also recommended this book, and I realised it's the same as the C1 book we have which explains things pretty well so i've already ordered it, cheers for the input though :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by krisshP
Can you post the question? Think of this in real life, it helps. You should realise that if you are pushing it up slightly, and therefore particle about to go up the plane, friction is pushing the particle down the plane. What I then would do is draw a free-body diagram of the particle with the forces on it whatever their direction e.g. downwards or up etc. The particle doesn't have to b drawn so accurately, so I draw it as a circle. Then I draw another diagram of this circle, but this time I have on it the components of all forces in the previous diagram. These components are parallel or perpendicular to the plane. Then it's usually just a case of resolving, using F=ma or/and even SUVAT:smile:

Practice makes perfect, seriously from experience.:smile:

Yep I actually understand that topic now quite well, but in the times I was struggling I couldn't find it on exam solutions, cheers for helping though
Yep someone else also recommended this book, and I realised it's the same as the C1 book we have which explains things pretty well so i've already ordered it, cheers for the input though :biggrin:

thats alright good luck with it!
Reply 12
Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help with this mechanics question?

I have one question which I have the answers to, but I am unable to reach these answers, would be great if anyone could post the steps to the following questions:

A train travels from station P to the next station Q arriving at Q exactly 5 minutes after leaving P.

Worked out acceleration= velocity/time=30/60=0.5m/s ie: triangle formed by first 60 seconds is 60 for x axis and 30 for y axis with a gradient of 0.5m/s.

Velocity/ v = 30m/s
Distance from P to Q= 7200m

The question: on one occasion, the track is being repaired and for the 2000 m between P and Q the speed is limited to 10m/s
The rest of the journey is at 30m/s. Find out how long it takes fir train to travel from P to Q?

I figured out that we would have one square ( 2000 m given) with a time of 200 seconds,
The two triangles ( identical at beginning and end) given have been described above as 60 seconds on horizontal and 30 m/s vertically.

THE ANSWER IS 460 seconds- how would we get to that?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by dd1234

THE ANSWER IS 460 seconds- how would we get to that?

Thanks in advance :smile:

For future reference, it would be better if you'd started a new thread, rather than post on the tail end of someone else's - fewer people will check it out, thinking it's already been looked at.

Having said that. Did you manage to get an answer different from the given one, as I got 433 1/3 seconds?
Reply 14
Original post by ghostwalker
For future reference, it would be better if you'd started a new thread, rather than post on the tail end of someone else's - fewer people will check it out, thinking it's already been looked at.

Having said that. Did you manage to get an answer different from the given one, as I got 433 1/3 seconds?

Okay, thanks. No I didn't get that answer. I drew it out as a graph but apart from the two triangles and the square there are meant to be two rectangle shapes where the velocity flatlines to deccelerate at the beginning and accelerate at the end. I think we are meant to work out the areas and take them away from 7200 to get the area of these two triangles and find their times then, but I don't get 460 seconds, I get around 370 seconds....
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by dd1234
Okay, thanks. No I didn't get that answer. I drew it out as a graph but apart from the two triangles and the square there are meant to be two rectangle shapes where the velocity flatlines to deccelerate at the beginning and accelerate at the end. I think we are meant to work out the areas and take them away from 7200 to get the area of these two triangles and find their times then, but I don't get 460 seconds, I get around 370 seconds....

I was assuming that the section restricted to 10m/s was in the area where it was travelling at 30m/s

Whenever the train changes speed it will accelerate/decelerate.

Can you do a diagram of what the shape is / should be.

If you're using windows, you can do it in Paint, and just save it as a jpeg and upload.
Reply 16
Original post by ghostwalker
I was assuming that the section restricted to 10m/s was in the area where it was travelling at 30m/s

Whenever the train changes speed it will accelerate/decelerate.

Can you do a diagram of what the shape is / should be.

If you're using windows, you can do it in Paint, and just save it as a jpeg and upload.

Thanks, yes, the graph is attached, note the two sections ( rectangles) are equal
Original post by dd1234
Thanks, yes, the graph is attached, note the two sections ( rectangles) are equal

Thanks. Is this one you've been given, or worked out yourself?

If the latter, you need to bear in mind that the train won't suddenly jump from 30 to 10 m/s, and back again. Each time it changes speed it will decelerate/accelerate at 0.5 m/s/s.
Hey,
The first time I sat M1 I got a U, the second time an E after which I put in a lot of effort to learn the syllabus myself. MyMaths was my main tool and it helped me get my score up to a high B so I would highly recommend it!
(edited 10 years ago)
Wait until you do M2...

Quick Reply

Latest