PayPal Watch

johnmuir
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I put an ad on Gumtree selling my old iPhone and got an email back from someone saying they would like to buy it.

The price I was after was £150 and this person replied saying they'd pay £190 to include delivery as well. They asked for my paypal email address to get payment. Since I'm new to PayPal I'm not sure if it's exactly safe or if I should just stay clear away from this possible scam?

I may be overreacting but it's better to be safe than sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
F_shakeey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I had a similar issue too, this was on ebay mind you so much more suspicious since they wanted to pay via paypal rather than on ebay. What was worse was that they had a rating of 20 but nothing had been bought in the last 2 years. After a long discussion I took it up with eBay and relisted the item again and this time everything went well.

I'd be careful OP ask them to wait a bit till you get other replies from experienced gumtree sellers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Right, I know this May sound OTT but don't do the deal, I'd personally never sell on gumtree (sorry ) because of chargebacks, basically any online payment can be made and appear in your account and be claimed back as fraud. PayPal/you can NOT DO ANYTHING! So unless you aren't telling us something and giving a reason to trust someone with that through the web I would strongly advise you dont do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do a Google search of Paypal scams for heaven's sake!

You'll never go near it again.
Clementine101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is a scam, gumtree is meant for face to face transactions only

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get_Lucky_606
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
PayPal is perfectly safe, it's just GumTree and the person you're buying from that can make it dodgy
balotelli12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Get_Lucky_606)
PayPal is perfectly safe, it's just GumTree and the person you're buying from that can make it dodgy
Rubbish!
Only a gullible idiot or a PayPal employee would make such a claim.
Get_Lucky_606
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You are joking right? I've been using it for ebay for years, as do millions of other people?
F_shakeey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Get_Lucky_606)
You are joking right? I've been using it for ebay for years, as do millions of other people?
He's referring to payment via paypal on gumtree. It's perfectly safe on ebay as ebay owns paypal and they have all the guarantees and checks etc...
Even on ebay I used to get messages for items I was selling of people claiming they'd pay three times the amount out was going for but only if I have them my paypal email address. Many scams can occur in that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get_Lucky_606
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I see, his wording made it seem like he was saying PayPal should be avoided in general, that makes sense though.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should Banksy be put in prison?

Yes (249)
14.46%
No (1473)
85.54%

Watched Threads