Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I put an ad on Gumtree selling my old iPhone and got an email back from someone saying they would like to buy it.

The price I was after was £150 and this person replied saying they'd pay £190 to include delivery as well. They asked for my paypal email address to get payment. Since I'm new to PayPal I'm not sure if it's exactly safe or if I should just stay clear away from this possible scam?

I may be overreacting but it's better to be safe than sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its safe, with your paypal email all they can do is pay you money or request money (your not even obliged if someone requests - I requested £100000 for joke of my friend the other day)

edit: just ignore this - sorry

ReputationRep:
    typical scam, usually anything on gumtree should only be sold via cash on collection.

If the person is offering £190 ask them to pay you via bank transfer and offer them £10 for their inconvenience so £180 for the phone inc delivery.

else don't do the deal and insist its cash on collection. I can only see this going one way

ReputationRep:
    There have been stories where scammers would ask people for their e-mail addresses. It's a scam, just enter something like "paypal e-mail asking scam" and you will see yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah after reading those replies probably ignore my first reply.

I've never used gumtree so I was not aware that it was generally a cash in hand type website and that this was out of the usual.

ReputationRep:
    100% a scam

Gumtree is filled with scammers who try to take advantage of people who don't have a clue about selling. The fact that someone asked to pay above your asking price should set off alarm bells straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Give them your real Paypal address. Wait.
    DON'T click on any email you receive, only check your PayPal by logging in directly to the website.
    Email says Paypal payment received, please send. Website will show sweet FA received.
    Tada....scam!
    Cash or f-off on Gumtree,

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 8, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.