Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm 20 and i've never had a girlfriend.

I've never had any confidence. People say I look alright and I think I seem like a nice person and I can be funny/have a laugh, but I just feel shy about it all... like asking someone out. There was someone I really liked for ages but I found out she had a boyfriend. It'd have just been awkward and embarrassing if I asked her out!

I don't like being alone. I'm not scared of the dark or anything haha but I just like having company. Like even if i'm at home alone and watching the telly, i'll sit the cat next to me. Whenever I move out in the future, I just don't want to be alone. I don't want to be sat in a room with just nothing... no voices.

I went to London recently with some friends. Their boyfriends/girlfriends were waiting outside the train station for them ready to take them home. I got on the bus, was sat by myself and I just felt miserable.

I've never really had anyone say that they like me. The only people who have said anything was some jokey older lady I was serving (probably about 80?!). I was on the tills where I work (Marks & Spencer) and she was really friendly and quite funny, at the end, she looked close at my namebadge and said "Oo I'll remember your name. You're good looking aren't you" then as she walked off smiling she said "if only I were younger!". I couldn't stop laughing. That's the only interest I get.

I don't really go places where I'd meet people though. At Uni (a local one) they're all way out of my league and I'm not really someone who would go out nightclubbing. I'm only 5'8" as well. Women like tall guys don't they?

In the future, I don't want to be a little old man sat on my own... I want a long lasting relationship and for my retirement years to be like this...!

http://i.imgur.com/OZttAR9.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have my first proper relationship until I was 21.
    You'll find someone, just be patient.

ReputationRep:
    So many of these threads!

Go outside! Meet people. Since you're at uni, join societies, sports teams, go to the gym, sit with random groups of people if you're in catered halls, walk up to random groups in the street, tell bad jokes, act like they're hilarious and walk off again, even if some of these things don't allow you to actually make friends getting a laugh at a bad joke from a stranger (preferably an attractive stranger) will boost your confidence no end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    Hi! I'm 20 and i've never had a girlfriend.

I've never had any confidence. People say I look alright and I think I seem like a nice person and I can be funny/have a laugh, but I just feel shy about it all... like asking someone out. There was someone I really liked for ages but I found out she had a boyfriend. It'd have just been awkward and embarrassing if I asked her out!

I don't like being alone. I'm not scared of the dark or anything haha but I just like having company. Like even if i'm at home alone and watching the telly, i'll sit the cat next to me. Whenever I move out in the future, I just don't want to be alone. I don't want to be sat in a room with just nothing... no voices.

I went to London recently with some friends. Their boyfriends/girlfriends were waiting outside the train station for them ready to take them home. I got on the bus, was sat by myself and I just felt miserable.

I've never really had anyone say that they like me. The only people who have said anything was some jokey older lady I was serving (probably about 80?!). I was on the tills where I work (Marks & Spencer) and she was really friendly and quite funny, at the end, she looked close at my namebadge and said "Oo I'll remember your name. You're good looking aren't you" then as she walked off smiling she said "if only I were younger!". I couldn't stop laughing. That's the only interest I get.

I don't really go places where I'd meet people though. At Uni (a local one) they're all way out of my league and I'm not really someone who would go out nightclubbing. I'm only 5'8" as well. Women like tall guys don't they?

In the future, I don't want to be a little old man sat on my own... I want a long lasting relationship and for my retirement years to be like this...!

http://i.imgur.com/OZttAR9.jpg
    I'm in the exact same boat, in secondary school I was a really shy person but since I've developed my confidence however it'll be good to have a girlfriend I fear it may distract me from my professional life. Don't feel put down about it though, you'll eventually get there when the time is right which applies to myself also. I'd suggest using your interests to chat to woman such as a subject you both study for example.

ReputationRep:
    Em trust me, 5'8" is tall to someone who's 5'2"!! haha I know I'm shorter than average but you're taller than the average girl so that shouldn't be a problem. As someone who doesn't like clubbing either, I can say that there are people out there like you! My only real advice would be if you want a long lasting relationship, don't look for superficial girls, open your heart to people once in a while and be patient You sound like an honest person and tbh you're only 20! What age do most people marry at? If you're looking to find the right one the first time round, it's not such a bad situation to be in

ReputationRep:
    I understand where you're coming from. some of the best advice I ever got though was that it's important to learnt to be content in your own company, as well as with others. Independence and confidence are good (and attractive) traits!
    If you feel like you're not good enough, it'll show as well. If you're a friendly and considerate guy, it'll happen
    Also, could you meet people at work as well? As a fellow M & S employee who's dated a coworker, you must meet a fair few people?
    Hope a little of that helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 8, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.