Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was born in the UK but I have lived in the US since 2007; my whole family and I are UK nationals.
    I am applying to one uni in the UK (Oxford) and some here in the US also.

What kind of opportunities would be available to me if I needed financial help to cover the costs of studying in the UK? I know that I cannot receive loans from the UK since I haven't lived in the UK for the last 3 years, and since I'm a UK national I can't receive federal loans from the US either.

I don't want the finances to be what deters me from studying at Oxford, which is my first choice, if I am offered a place. Are there any ways for me to fix this situation? I think I will be able to pay for one of my 3 years with the money my family has saved, but after that it could be a struggle without outside help.

Any help would be appreciated.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there,

As you correctly stated, you would not be entitled to finance from Student Finance England as you must have permanent residence within the UK or European Union for 3 or more years prior to the start of the Academic Year in which you start the course.

It would be advisable to seek assistance from the university you are planning to apply to and they may be able to help you apply for other sources of funding.

Thanks,

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.